Talk

Advanced search

Sister to Solomon

(43 Posts)
ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 11:09:06

Have a thread re boys names but dont know what im having so would like opinion on girls original names too!
Delilah - is this becoming popular? also solomon and delilah sounds a bit samson and delilah
Penelope - dislike nn Penny, is this a problem?
Iola - am thinking this sounds a bit chavvy/made up but maybe overthinking
Nelly - would this attract elephant jokes? (nell sounds to boring)
DH wants Larissa but I dont like
any other suggestions to go with Solomon nn solly . not necessarily biblical!

lockets Sat 11-Jun-11 11:10:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 11:14:17

Not keen on Thea or Tabitha
Kitty too similar to my name
Thanks and any more welcome!
Like very old underused names but dont want the new trendsetter, bit like everyone i suppose

fairieswearboots Sat 11-Jun-11 12:01:48

Delilah- i think this does sound a bit too ' Samson and Delilah'
Penelope - would be difficult to avoid nn penny, but could go with nn Nell or Nelly( dont know about elephant jokes nowadays)
Iola - isn't made up as far as i know.
So. Penelope and Iola both good.

How about
Lara ( could be short fot larissa but nicer imo)
Ione
Ianthe
Xanthe
Zinnia
Margot
Phyllis
Ada

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 11-Jun-11 12:07:02

Yolande
Isolde
Hermione
Ishbel

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 13:08:33

ooh...like Ada and Ida and can't help liking Ira (may just be a boys name?) but think spelling out IRA would be a problem
Good idea about shortening Larissa to Lara but work with a Lara.
So love Penelope just dont know if can avoid Penny

Nightstar Sat 11-Jun-11 13:36:56

Salome

(sally and solly ha ha)

I love the really traditional biblical names like Rebecca, sadly underused right now.

Why not go for Penelope and nn Nell? That way you get two of the names off your list

calaminecovered Sat 11-Jun-11 13:38:07

A friend of mine has Solomon and Amalia

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 13:55:29

Nightstar I would love to use Penelope and nn nellie/nell/nelly but I just need convincing that she wont get Penny which is out of my control once she goes to school. My mum spent her whole time telling people my brother Alexander was not Alex but all teachers, friends and even aunties used alex which wasnt so bad because she didnt hate the name alex and didnt have to hear it that much. But I have a big problem with Penny just because of association with someone and seems silly to tempt it being used. May seem over the top sorry!!

Nightstar Sat 11-Jun-11 14:03:30

Teachers these days ask about nicknames, they dont make up their own I promise.

If you send her off to school known as Nell, her friends will ask her name and she will say Nell/Nellie. Thats what will stick. Not Penny.

But I do understand your concern, Penny is a horrid name. But Penelope is so classic and pretty!

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 14:12:59

Ahh! thanks Nightstar, so understanding! Yes I suppose my DS says his name is Solly not Sol because he rarely gets it. I suppose not every Oliver is Ollie or Samuel Sam! Not often my DH likes one of my suggestions and he actually likes Penelope so defo still a strong consideration. Any others like Penelope but not making a comeback already? What about Norah? would this attract Norah Batty jokes! god I'm obsessed with name jokes!

mathanxiety Sat 11-Jun-11 17:43:32

How about
Beulah
Dinah
Zipporah
Honora/Honor

I don't think you can have Penelope without 'Penny', unless you are clear that Nell is the NN and use it all the time as Nightstar says. I like Nellie, and don't know if that song is at the tip of everyone's tongue as it used to be. Solomon and Delilah would indeed be too like Samson and Delilah.

I agree with you about Larissa but Lara is very nice. Larissa is too frilly and insubstantial beside Solomon.

Iola is nice of your choices. Would you consider Iolanthe or Yolanda? How about Iona?

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Sat 11-Jun-11 18:06:14

Isolde
Miriam
Cassandra
Arabella

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 19:16:09

Iona very popular in Scotland and we have lots of family there so visit a lot. Not keen on Iolanthe or Yolanda I'm afraid. Thanks for giving lots of thought!

Lonnie Sat 11-Jun-11 19:44:55

Elora?

Adie

what about clarissa if you dont like Larissa?

FranSanDisco Sat 11-Jun-11 19:50:28

Leah or Lyra (sounds like Ira)?

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 20:18:50

Sorry but reason i dont like Larissa is because its like Clarissa! (silence of lambs)

MissHonkover Sat 11-Jun-11 20:23:02

What about Esther? Means 'sun', doesn't Solomon mean that too, or is that just Sol?

ednurse Sat 11-Jun-11 20:27:29

Stacey?

SamsGoldilocks Sat 11-Jun-11 20:29:39

Saskia

Lonnie Sat 11-Jun-11 20:35:35

Naamah?

ceeceeanne Sat 11-Jun-11 21:14:44

interesting but not feeling those last few. Stacey would be funny

topazmcgonagall Sat 11-Jun-11 21:49:49

I like Delilah.
Or how about Hope? Or Susannah?

mathanxiety Tue 14-Jun-11 04:12:44

Charis
Esperanza
Theodosia
Leonora...

Astrophe Tue 14-Jun-11 05:09:08

From your original list OP, what about Penelope shortened to Nell/Nelly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now