Talk

Advanced search

What do we think of Iris? Or can you suggest something similar I may like?

(32 Posts)
Needaname1234 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:44:22

Trying to choose a name for DC2 due later this year. This week I really like Iris for a girl (don't know the gender). I've seen a few comments on here that it is getting very popular.

I don't mind a name that is heard around and about but I'd prefer to avoid a name that's going to be in the top 20 in the next few years. I have a very unusual name myself so I'm swayed a bit by that - but I know you can never guarantee unusualness - I've only ever met 2 other people who share with my name (and know of a handful of others) but 1 of the 2 I've met was in my class at school!

So, like it? Don't like it? And how many do you know? I'm in London so if you know a bucketload there please do tell me!

Merrylegs Thu 09-Jun-11 21:48:39

I really like it. Don't know any, but am not in London where it might be more popular?

How about Astrid as a similar sounding name? V cool.

ThePathanKhansWoman Thu 09-Jun-11 21:51:14

I love Iris, how about Esme?.

ceeceeanne Thu 09-Jun-11 21:51:51

I have loved it for years and have only heard through grapevine of one mum using it. I think it was very rare and is now only slightly less so. Dont think its popular/common.
Iola
Isis
are nice 'I' names
Delilah
Mabel
are nice old fashioned names

YummyHoney Thu 09-Jun-11 21:52:36

Sorry I don't like it, but that's because I used to know one and she was an old bag. What about Erin? Not that similar, but uncommon I think.

WorzselMummage Thu 09-Jun-11 21:54:34

Love all the names on this thread.

What about

Violet
Esther
Clara

ThePathanKhansWoman Thu 09-Jun-11 21:58:36

Martha? I love Esther.

SloganLogan Thu 09-Jun-11 22:15:34

I know one Iris.

How about Iona, Ianthe, Estella, Corinna, Elise, Xanthe, Talia, Pearl, Phoebe?

lordsugarslovechild Fri 10-Jun-11 08:03:01

I know a french one - ih - ris.

I do think its nice. I like Marigold.

randomimposter Fri 10-Jun-11 08:57:05

LOVE Iris.
Also Clara, Eliza, Tess, Esme are similar names I think?
What's DC1 called? (asks the saddo who needs to have names that sound right together hmm)

tummytickler Fri 10-Jun-11 11:36:22

I only know one Iris - my 10 year old dd. I don't think it is going to be top 20 anytime soon.
How about - Ivy, Doris, Dahlia, Elspeth, Isadora, Ailsa, Alma, Miranda, Nell, Fleur, Willow?

stayfree Fri 10-Jun-11 12:29:16

Like this name, dp wouldn't have tho. I also like Ivy, Eliza, Tess, Clara and Esme (my dd's name).

telsa Fri 10-Jun-11 12:35:47

I am in London and know quite a few Irises. don't like it myself - sounds harsh to me and I can't get the eyeball association out of my head. What about it backwards - much nicer: Siri - or what about Ilsa, Ilmi, or Impi - which means virgin in Finnish!

figgygal Fri 10-Jun-11 12:45:17

I have always loved that name - Iris by the goo goo dolls is one of my fave tunes. I wont use it now as have other ideas and i think i am having a boy but i think you should go for it.

Woodifer Fri 10-Jun-11 14:52:05

Isla?

virginiasmonalogue Fri 10-Jun-11 15:05:49

I loved Iris and we ummed and ahh'd about it as it was dh's granny's name and he associated it too much with her. So we chose Nell. I also liked Francis (Frankie, fran), Robyn, ....I can't remember much else now

HelloOutThere Fri 10-Jun-11 15:06:20

Elsa
Evie
Inga

acatcalledbob Fri 10-Jun-11 15:07:06

I love it but know a couple - it could be the next Isabel by the time your DC is crawling.....

JanMorrow Fri 10-Jun-11 15:58:16

I love it and don't know any. It's on my list!

Needaname1234 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:03:53

Thanks all! Not going to share DC1s name as am paranoid about outing myself (and it is rather unusual too). But there are some great names on this thread - thanks everyone! Quite a few that we've thoughts about - which shows that people who have similar tastes in names really do come up with similar lists I think.

Telsa where in London are you (on the compass) if you don't mind me asking?

Needaname1234 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:04:33

Oh and acatcalledbob where are you?

telsa Fri 10-Jun-11 21:45:36

I'm central to North.

acatcalledbob Sat 11-Jun-11 01:02:53

I'm overseas but the Irises I know are from London.

kiteflying Sat 11-Jun-11 02:51:41

Re what a acatcalledbob said - As mum to an Isabel, I can tell you that it will only bother you for a little while that the name is popular. I am over it now and don't even flinch when I hear other little girls called Isabel or Isabella.
The popularity thing is only an issue when you are choosing a name I think, so maybe discount it if you really like the name. None of us are really able to predict the future. You could end up living miles from any other Irises, even if it is popular where you are now.

JenniferClarissa Sat 11-Jun-11 04:30:34

I like it. I know of one 10 year old Iris - contemporary of DC2 in SE London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now