Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of Tallulah?

(31 Posts)
crochetcircle Thu 09-Jun-11 13:15:26

I think this is my favourite name for our little girl expected in 2 days time.
I've never met anyone with this name - what do you think of it? Nice?

RitaMorgan Thu 09-Jun-11 13:17:02

Honestly? It sounds like a stripper name to me.

CandiceMariePratt Thu 09-Jun-11 13:19:17

I think it is beautiful and not like a stripper at all x

queenebay Thu 09-Jun-11 13:19:31

I dont like it sounds like a hooker

suwoo Thu 09-Jun-11 13:20:10

Awful.

radancer Thu 09-Jun-11 13:23:35

I like it, but there are quite a few Tallulahs around now.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manchurian Thu 09-Jun-11 13:29:32

I was thinking the exact same thing...

LetThereBeRock Thu 09-Jun-11 13:29:43

It's truly terrible,much too childish for an adult,and makes me think of a stripper.

lou33 Thu 09-Jun-11 13:33:52

My 14 yr old Tallulah is lovely and the only times i have heard any negative comments regarding her name, is on here. I do get quite a few people telling me what a lovely name it is irl tho.

MrsvWoolf Thu 09-Jun-11 13:40:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdofthenorth Thu 09-Jun-11 15:01:11

I was Tallulah in our primary school Bugsy Malone. She's great fun but a total slut. I'm guessing with every passing generation that film becomes less relevant but for me the slut connotations would put me off! Ditto Lolita etc. Sorry!

Renaissance227 Thu 09-Jun-11 15:04:31

I like the name but the character in Bugsy Malone does put me off a little! However, if you like it go for it.

NadiaWadia Thu 09-Jun-11 15:18:14

The name has a lovely sound to it. However I feel its a name for someone with an outgoing personality, not a shrinking violet, so do you think this is likely for your DD?

lou33 Thu 09-Jun-11 16:20:21

It is a north American Indian name, means laughing water, or something similar.

pilates Thu 09-Jun-11 20:50:43

Stripper

5DollarShake Fri 10-Jun-11 02:52:34

It is a flighty, fluffy, daft name to me - I would never expect to be taken seriously as a Talluluah, adult or otherwise. I know for a fact that I would never get on with someone who saw fit to name their child it, either.

And dare I venture it, you're far more likely to get a good, honest reaction to a name on here than you would IRL where people will smile and nod and say it's nice whilst sniggering internally.

danceswiththedaffodils Fri 10-Jun-11 03:28:01

I've always loved the name Tallulah, and like all the nn options Tally, Lu, Lulah, Lulu

and just looked at the National statistics; Tallulah was ranked at 255 for girls in England and Wales in 2009 and at 237 in 2008, so there are a fair few people out there who love the name as well without it being everywhere (if that bothers you, wouldn't bother me if I loved the name).

If you love it, go for it. If people want to snigger internally let them, once they get to know your daughter they will associate the name with her and nothing else.

Good luck and congratulations

sunnydelight Fri 10-Jun-11 07:56:46

I know two, love the name.

CliffTumble Fri 10-Jun-11 07:59:10

Bugsy Malone

Elsjas Fri 10-Jun-11 08:04:32

Stripper or the chicken from the Maisy mouse books. Neither being a good thing.

PickleSarnie Fri 10-Jun-11 08:11:14

Okay, so long as you don't do what this couple did and go for Tallulah does the Hula from Hawaii. That's probably a bit of a mouthful (and a wee bit cruel)

missmiss Fri 10-Jun-11 08:20:20

I really like it. It definitely fits into the Ruby/Lola category which is popular at the moment, but I haven't encountered any yet. As someone said, it implies a very vivacious, outgoing personality - a lot to live up to?!

I don't think it's a stripper name. Crystal is a stripper name.

GibberingGinger Fri 10-Jun-11 10:33:52

Now I've got the Bugsy Mallone tune stuck in my head!

It's a nice name, but unfortunately will always be connected to showgirls/bugsy mallone to me.

crochetcircle Fri 10-Jun-11 12:14:57

Brilliant - thanks ladies/gents. A completely unexpected set of responses but great to have such honesty and a laugh at the same time! I have never seen bugsy malone, so had no idea about the stripper connotation. Will check that out definitely.

Funnily enough the one film connection I did know about was that the bobsleigh in Cool Runnings is named Tallulah. (Which I thought was quite cool!)

We won't name her til we've met her, which will hopefully be very soon - 39+6 today - and DH has his own ideas about names too.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now