Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Any difference between ...

(36 Posts)
Starlingo Wed 08-Jun-11 21:14:37

Jacob and Edward. These are the only two names we can agree on. I don't think either is madly controversial. Sooo, is there anything in it? Is one better than the other in your opinion? p.s. tis only coincidence that these are twilights.
Oh and if neither is to your liking, please give your top alternative... thank you!
I wldn't mind something a bit quirky or interesting.
(SO if we do go for J or E then it's the nickname potential that is pretty good.)

PalazzoPants Wed 08-Jun-11 21:16:17

I prefer Jacob by a mile. It is more common, ime, though - if that makes a difference to you?

pilates Wed 08-Jun-11 21:17:12

I prefer Edward

Tuggy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:18:21

Both seem uncontroversial! Either would be lovely.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Wed 08-Jun-11 21:19:08

I much prefer Edward - it's classier - and Ned and Ted and Teddy are much nicer than Jake!

pooka Wed 08-Jun-11 21:20:07

I've said on other thread that prefer Edward. It just seems more versatile than Jacob. Ed, Ted, Ned, Teddy and so on can all be nicknames. Or Bear, like Bear Grylls ;)

Along the same lines - Christopher was a name that we were keen on. Shortened to Kit, or potential for Chris, Christo.

Not great at quirky! grin

Hulababy Wed 08-Jun-11 21:20:48

I like both full names, although like Edward more. I lke Ned as a nn for Edward but I a less keen on Ed/Eddie/Ted. I am not keen on Jake as a nn for Jacob either.

mathanxiety Wed 08-Jun-11 21:23:16

I prefer Hamish or Eamonn. Other Ed- names that I like are Edgar and Edwin.

itsohsoquiet Wed 08-Jun-11 22:18:55

I prefer Edward as it is a classic and there are lots of cool nicknames you could use. Only nickname I can think of for Jacob is Jake which I despise.

squeak2392 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:21:01

I don't like Jacob at all. I'm not sure I ever have, but it's become even more detestable since it's major increase in popularity. Seems almost to be a default name.

Edward is lovely. Definitely Edward.

Karbea Wed 08-Jun-11 22:21:47

Aren't these the twilight names?

I prefer Edward, you could call him teddy whilst he iis little, so cute!

hellokitty123 Thu 09-Jun-11 09:25:47

I'm not keen on either. But if I had to choose then Edward (although I don't like Ed/Eddie but Ned is ok). I really dislike Jake, I'm afraid.

rachel234 Thu 09-Jun-11 09:29:17

What happened to your other lovely names on the list - like Lars of Frederick?

I find both Edward/Ed and Jacob/Jake a little dull and overused compared to your other options.

LaWeasel Thu 09-Jun-11 09:29:48

Jasper is clearly the best option.

rachel234 Thu 09-Jun-11 09:31:30

Yes Jasper is nice too. And what about Tobias, Quentin, Marcus, Felix? Lots of lovely names that aren't as overused as Edward or Jake.

manchurian Thu 09-Jun-11 09:32:36

Do you know what you would call Edward? If it's Ted you could go for something like Theodore. Then they could be Ted or Theo.

Jasper makes me think of a pig my parents used to have.

rachel234 Thu 09-Jun-11 09:34:40

Lots of names make me think of pets I've met throughout my life - if I discarded them all that would leave very few left for my children smile.

TheBride Thu 09-Jun-11 09:35:34

I like Edward because I very much like the nn "Ed". I've never met an Ed who wasn't a good laugh.

TheBride Thu 09-Jun-11 09:36:11

Scrap that- just remembered Ed balls. Call him Jacob

Shit. Ed Balls has ruined Ed for me.

evilgiraffe Thu 09-Jun-11 10:21:11

I like both. Edward is the more strait-laced name I think, while Jacob seems more friendly. LaWeasel makes a good point with Jasper - it's old-fashioned like the other two but perhaps a little more unusual. Any of them would be a good choice smile

If you're open to other offers, how about Charles, Samuel, Emmett, Riley, Tyler, Michael, Ben, Felix, Alec, or Marcus?

EricNorthmansMistress Thu 09-Jun-11 10:40:30

I love Jasper! Although I have to say Edward is a classic. Jacob is a bit more modern sounding (with the NN Jake) and less formal maybe?

Starlingo Thu 09-Jun-11 11:52:22

Thanks all. Ed Ball - heheh. Love theodore but neph's name. Alec ditto. Damn. Marcus and Felix both like (Felix like a lot) rejected by OH ('wishy washy or a cat, apparently).
Charles - nope.
Sam - used to think Samir.
Emmett - lovely, but would it be Emma?
Hamish - lovely, maybe too Scottish given already mixed background (that includes no Scots)

Thanks eric, for your view that jacob is modern sounding. My mother thinks it very heavy and old fashioned. (?) This could be partly because she insists on saying JJJJJJJJakkkkkkkkkop in a deep voice.

If we go with Jacob has nn potential of Jago - which I think sounds quite happy and upbeat. Like he cld go off and be an explorer (oh hang on, hmm, do I want him exploring ;). I will have to see what he's like I guess.

I am quite a quirky person (style wise and career wise - sorry, you know I'd never say that were this in real life) hence I'd like something with quirk potential.
However, at the same time, when I was a kid I didn't like the fact that I had (have) an unusual/foreign name. I wanted to be an Elizabeth or a Victoria like my bessie mates. Perhaps tho, now children want to be Tobias and Rudolf and Raef and Lief and Jasper too. I don't know enough children...

This, tho, seems to be what many parents want. Cf threads seeking unsual names smile

TeamLemon Thu 09-Jun-11 13:05:38

I have a Jacob, but actually prefer Edward (couldn't use it for DC because of a relative Ed).
Edmund is a good classic name.

PuppyMonkey Thu 09-Jun-11 13:07:48

Team Edward

rachel234 Thu 09-Jun-11 13:08:47

If you're after a 'quirky' name then I'm not sure Edward or Jacob are the right choices hmm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: