Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Elodie, Nancy or Freya?

(31 Posts)
icefly Wed 08-Jun-11 19:23:16

My 3 favourites if it's a girl, but can't pick!
Would like something not too common (hopefully only one in class) but not 'weird'.
Opinions please!!
x

Stars22 Wed 08-Jun-11 19:28:26

I quite like Elodie, never heard of anyone actually being called it. I like Eloise much better.

Freya is quite nice I think its getting more popular.

I really dont like the name Nancy, makes me think little old lady.

DialMforMummy Wed 08-Jun-11 19:31:41

Elodie is lovely. agree that Freya is getting popular. Like Nancy too.

atrixo Wed 08-Jun-11 19:39:23

Elodie

Karbea Wed 08-Jun-11 19:43:24

I love elodie. It's my all time fav girls name.

SloganLogan Wed 08-Jun-11 19:45:29

Elodie is lovely.

Nancy is OK but a bit flouncy. Don't like Freya at all, sorry.

plebshire Wed 08-Jun-11 19:49:14

I love Elodie, and Eloise too.

Similar feelings about Freya - nice but getting popular.

Not keen on Nancy.

AchtungBaby Wed 08-Jun-11 20:01:06

I like Freya.

I don't like Elodie. I blame my French teacher though - she gave all of us the French equivalent of our name confused, which in my case was apparently Elodie. I can still hear her half-singing 'Elodie...'. Gah.

radancer Wed 08-Jun-11 20:06:45

I like Nancy.

Freya is really popular now, and Elodie is a bit strange. I think

hollyw Wed 08-Jun-11 20:11:12

I like Freya. Nancy isn't for me personally, although I think it's kind of cute and I can't make my mind up about Elodie. I almost really like it but something holds me back, but again that's for my own baby. I'd think ooh that's nice if someone told me their baby was called it.

xx
H

ChiddelyPie Wed 08-Jun-11 20:20:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smother Wed 08-Jun-11 20:36:15

A vote for Elodie. Lovely. Also like Elora.
Freya is nice but less unusual.
I have an irrational dislike of the name Nancy.

smartyparts Wed 08-Jun-11 21:25:22

Love Elodie, was on my list, but had a boy smile I know 3 Elodies now, it's becoming popular I guess.

Like Eloise too, but not the fact that it sounds like Louise.

valiumbandwitch Thu 09-Jun-11 08:52:50

Elodie - I like it. But will she be (another) Ellie?
Nancy - I love this!
Freya - I really like it, but it seemed to come out of nowhere and is one of the most popular names now, so in 50 years it'll have the same vibe as Shirley, Sheila and Doreen.

So imo Nancy

manchurian Thu 09-Jun-11 09:00:09

How are you thinking of pronouncing Elodie? I love this name but really it is a french name and should have an acute accent on the E and pronounced more like "Ey-lodie". If it's like this I'd vote for this one as its beautiful.

Next vote would be for Nancy. Always loved this name.

I would stay clear of Freya. Its becoming a very "trendy" name. Chances are she won't be the only one in her class with it...

GrassCutter Thu 09-Jun-11 12:00:02

I love nancy

Elodie as someone suggested sounds like Bill Oddies daughter

& Freya I would describe as very common now.

DoesBuggerAll Thu 09-Jun-11 12:49:30

My 6 year old is called Elodie. Mummy is French though. There are no other Elodies in her school and I've never met anyone else called Elodie in the UK (met a few in France but it's not that common).

There are at least 3 girls called Freya in her school and a Nancy in her class too. I like both Freya and Nancy but I fear Freya is rapidly becoming popular in chavvy circles.

quirrelquarrel Fri 10-Jun-11 09:00:36

I love Elodie.

I was going to be called Elodie! My mum is French. You pronounce it E-lodie. No "ey" sound. That would be with Ellodie, or not even.

Freya is v. chavvy. Personally I don't like "N" names, but it could be updated with "Nanci" instead?

ggirl Fri 10-Jun-11 09:02:47

I cam across lovely name this week.
An elderly french patient of mine
Vivette -fab name!!

quirrelquarrel Fri 10-Jun-11 09:20:02

Vivette is nice- lively!

Btw, accents are also not usually put on capital letters in French. I think they've started to in the last twenty or so years, but for Elodie, it would just be plain E. I have a name which begins in the same way and my mum said she'd have liked an accent, but it wasn't done. And v. fussy in England, where there is only one pronounciation possible.

ggirl Fri 10-Jun-11 10:39:07

Vivette

gwan gwan gwan -name your dd Vivette grin

MissHonkover Fri 10-Jun-11 13:39:16

I love Elodie and Nancy. Not at all keen on Freya, sorry.

Vivette makes me think of vivisection. Sorry again! grin

PatriciatheStripper Fri 10-Jun-11 13:55:50

I see Elodie everywhere in baby name discussions now, where has the popularity stemmed from? Not a name I've encountered in RL except in France.

Out of interest I looked it up, and apparently it is the French version of a Spanish saint Alodia. I thought that was a nice name - dignified, unusual - then I realised it sounds like " 'allo, dear" grin

shame!

NadiaWadia Fri 10-Jun-11 18:18:30

How can Freya be chavvy?

To me it conjures definite images of a green welly and Boden wearing family.

quirrelquarrel Fri 10-Jun-11 18:23:15

Nadia-

On one hand, I see what you mean. But I know a chavvy teenager who's set up a facebook page devoted to her baby, who died, and called her Freya-May, and (I'm sorry if I'm being completely heartless/unfeeling) it's a bit tacky. Pictures of the baby with "princess" and emoticons flashing. That's what I think of when I hear "Freya".

Otherwise, it's in the same vein as Pippa, Petra, Nina etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: