Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Any opinions on Harry?

(69 Posts)
Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:48:19

My DP thinks that Harry will forever be linked with Harry Potter and therefore, even though we both like it, we can't use it. Any thoughts?
P.S. There is a strong chance our DC may have to wear glasses as we both do and DP is using this to strengthen his argurment. He also has no alternatives in place in case we don't use Harry!

Bucharest Wed 08-Jun-11 10:50:44

S'OK.
It doesn't set me on fire, but it's not horrible.
<helpful>
I don't associate with HP at all, (and dd is currently reading N3 to me out loud at every spare minute)
I associate it with fairly posh people.

BrainlessAndWitless Wed 08-Jun-11 10:53:55

I like Harry.
As an aside, a friend of a friend going back to when Harry Potter first became popular, really liked the name Harry, but didn't want her son to be seen as "common" so gave him the "proper" name of Harold. I'm sorry if any of you have a Harold I do not mean to offend but oh my goodness Harold, for a newborn baby!!! hahahahaha!

fruitychicken Wed 08-Jun-11 11:02:07

I love it!! Have a nephew named Harry and he is a star!! I always associate names with people I know!! It's a really lovely, 'wee man' name!!! Would never even have thought of Harry Potter!! I would use. Good luck!!

lovetheoneyourewith Wed 08-Jun-11 11:03:31

I don't mind Harry but I prefer Henry and if I wanted a Harry I would definitely name him Henry on the BC not Harold!

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:12:18

Thank you for that everyone.
We both spent at least a month not thinking about Harry Potter until recently and I swear it is someone at work who has put this in my DP's head even though he says he hasn't told anyone the name's we've chosen!
I also like Henry but we have a cat called Henry!

I will fight for Harry because I like it and because I can't think of any better alternatives.
Thanks again [smle]x

daisybear Wed 08-Jun-11 11:14:12

Harry's a lovely name and i wouldn't associate with HP
Its a very popular name though but that might not bother you

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:17:33

It does bother me a bit that it is so popular but we can't think of anything we like as much.
We like traditional English names that preferably cannot be shortened!

Bucharest Wed 08-Jun-11 11:17:51

Now you see,I think Harry is much posher than Henry which I think has been appropriated a bit erm, unposh people.

I'm liking Harry more as this thread progresses!

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:19:45

I do like Henry but have a cat called that!

Glad you're coming to like Harry Bucharest! I think it's cute but can also see a grown man calling himself Harry. It works for both and I like that! smile

sparkle12mar08 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:38:37

It's a perfectly lovely, non-offensive name, and therefore very boring and always very popular. They're ten a penny round here and I would avoid at all costs on that basis alone, there'll always be three or four in a class. The Harry Potter association is strong but it's a decent enough name to outlive that.

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:41:18

So decent but common as muck sparkle?

mumoftoomany Wed 08-Jun-11 11:45:37

There are so many little Harrys around (along 5 in our Beavers group of 19 shock) that I'm starting to tire of it a little, tbh. There are so many more lovely names out there imo.

mumoftoomany Wed 08-Jun-11 11:46:18

sorry meant to write alone

sparkle12mar08 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:51:20

Renaisance - Yup! That's why names become very popular and frequently occurring - they're nice, decent, average, non-offensive, etc, etc, however you want to put it. But because they're so popular they become very boring, very quickly.

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:52:29

Any suggestions then mumoftoomany? Would love to hear some of the more lovely names out there! xx

sparkle12mar08 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:52:59

The Harry Potter association worries me not a jot, and you/DP shouldn't let it worry you either. Harry is a perfectly nice name that will outlast HP a hundred years over. In my personal opinion only, it's just boring, is all smile

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:53:04

Any other suggestions then sparkle?

atrixo Wed 08-Jun-11 11:53:30

I find Harry very common I'm afraid. it's another Alfie type name to me. Henry has much more class.

mumoftoomany Wed 08-Jun-11 11:57:02

I suggest you look at the ONS list of ALL the baby names given last year (or 2009) and you will find lots and lots of lovely names that our outside of the top 100 or even top 250.

fifipink Wed 08-Jun-11 12:00:23

I think its a good English name but i also like Charlie and William so i wouldn't associate Harry with HP, i do associate it with Prince Harry though!!

I wanted to have kittens and call them Harry and Pippa - DP soon vetoed that idea!!

Renaissance227 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:04:05

Henry is the name of our cat atrixo!

I don't like any on that list, but thanks mumoftoomany!

Thanks fifipink. I also like William but not Charlie. We didn't choose William because of all the ways it can be shortened, which would inevitably happen!

sparkle12mar08 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:05:25

Get a name nook from the library, open a page, point randomly. The names I like won't be the same as the names you like. But for what it's worth, I quite like:
Alexander/Xander
Callum
Willoughby
Noah
Christopher/Kit
Samuel
Richard
Jonathon
Alastair
James
Robert
Benjamin
Benedict
Sebastian
William
Aaron
George
Phillip
Gervase
Hugh
Conrad
Theo

Quite a mix, really.

rachel234 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:05:26

Harry is very common and I too find it a little boring, tbh.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:10:19

And for amusemnets sake, some of the more fun boys ones that have cropped up in my family tree over the past 200 years include

Barcus
Aquila
Forest (1890's would you believe?!)
Verdun (1916, homage to the battle I expect)
Jabez
Jervis
Lavender (I kid you not)
Endurance
Obedience

Take your pick!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: