Talk

Advanced search

Registering tomorrow and still undecided whether to ...

(19 Posts)
phonix Tue 07-Jun-11 21:17:42

... spell her name Ottilie or Ottilia.

Ottilia was the name we came up with initially, but I started having doubts as the 'ia' ending rhymes with DD1's name and both names have the same number of syllables, too.
DH doesn't think it's a problem at all.

However, our (foreign) surname ends in a 'y', so matched with Ottilie, when you say the full name it sounds a bit .... hmm, 'not quite right' I guess.

Not sure which version is worse. Any advice?

GetDownYouWillFall Tue 07-Jun-11 21:37:20

I think that Ottilia sounds a little bit affected, or over the top, sorry. I prefer Ottilie, it rolls off the tongue more easily.

What you mention about your surname ending in Y could be a problem though...

Hassled Tue 07-Jun-11 21:40:34

Ottilia sounds made up - is it? But Ottilie is a name I recognise, IYSWIM. Having said that, I think two "ia" endings among siblings is fine, whereas something like Sally Barry (if that's what you mean re surnames) sounds less fine.

Maternelle Tue 07-Jun-11 21:48:06

I love Ottilie. Not sure about Ottilia.

puffling Tue 07-Jun-11 21:49:33

No to Ottilia, never heard of it and sounds like Attila the Hun.
Go for Ottilie, sounds like a proper French name.

exoticfruits Tue 07-Jun-11 21:57:33

Ottilie -surely Ottilia is just made up?

toddlerama Tue 07-Jun-11 21:59:17

Ottilia will sound infinitely better with a surname ending in 'y'.

SoupDragon Tue 07-Jun-11 22:01:15

Ottilia made me think of Atilla too. much prefer Ottilie

phonix Tue 07-Jun-11 22:04:32

Interesting what some of you say about Ottilia being a made up name.... no it's most definitely not. It's known and used in mainland Europe (apart from France).

With re. to the 'y' ending, it's nowhere near as bad as Sally Barry especially as surname is quite long.

DH says Ottilie is too frilly and wouldn't suit a grown up woman.

SloganLogan Tue 07-Jun-11 22:39:23

I prefer Ottilia.

Letitshine Tue 07-Jun-11 22:44:36

What about Otteline?

squeak2392 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:45:51

I prefer Ottilia, but I think it's better for her name to rhyme with her surname than her sisters name.
Sometimes rhyming siblings work, but the only name I can think of is Lydia, and I don't think Lydia and Ottilia would be good at all.

BearBehavingBadly Wed 08-Jun-11 10:37:28

Ottilia is lovely & I can't see any problems with it. (like your DH says)
If you feel that if you don't use & that you will alway regret not using it, then go for it.

LadyGoneGaga Wed 08-Jun-11 10:50:28

My surname ends with Y and first name ends ie. <shrugs> I prefer Ottilie, think it flows off the tongue better.

wineandcheese Wed 08-Jun-11 15:20:08

Another vote for Ottilie.

phonix Wed 08-Jun-11 15:27:29

Thanks everyone! She was registered as Ottilie in the end. We have up to twelve months to change it, should we decide...

Prinpo Wed 08-Jun-11 16:24:17

Ottilie is an absolutely beautiful name - would have got my vote had I read the post in time. Good choice.

Congratulations on your new DD. smile

exoticfruits Wed 08-Jun-11 16:39:13

Good, I'm sure you won't want to change it.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Thu 09-Jun-11 18:12:58

Congratulations! Ottilie sounds great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now