Talk

Advanced search

Seoirse??

(17 Posts)
sorchatallulah Tue 07-Jun-11 14:46:50

I quite like Seoirse for a boy, I met one a few weeks ago but it doesn't seem to be very common anymore, would it get confused with Saoirse? Someone I work with said there were two in his class at school but he's quite a bit older than me! Pronounciation: shor-sheh, it's the "Irish version" of George :P Opinions?

valiumbandwitch Tue 07-Jun-11 15:01:13

Yeah, I'm in Ireland and I don't recall meeting one of these. I think, if I'm reading it right it'd be pronounced very like georgia. shorgia? So, to my ear it sounds feminine.......... but I don't know if that matters. elliot and noah and finn sound quite feminine sounding to my ear.

I like Georgie! That'd be cute. Are you looking for an Irish name? or does George have any significance ?

sorchatallulah Tue 07-Jun-11 15:07:51

I've always heard Shore-sheh/Shorsha that sort of thing, but the Sh sound at the start isn't too harsh, it's more soft like an S? I don't know how to explain it better haha. There isn't really any significance with George, I'm still in the TTC stage and just looking at different names so I have a shortlist of sorts smile

I didn't think it sounded feminine, but maybe it was because the only face I've been able to put the name to was a drunken student rugby player type who seemed quite macho! I worried about the similarity to Saoirse though, and seeing it written down people could assume I'd just spelt Saoirse wrong or something :p

coccyx Tue 07-Jun-11 15:11:43

sounds like a skin infection

AlmaMartyr Tue 07-Jun-11 15:15:35

If I saw it I'd assume it was a misspelling of Saoirse but I'm not very clued up on Irish names. Quite like it though.

mathanxiety Tue 07-Jun-11 15:31:17

Nice, and unusual. I would say very few people in the UK would have the mental image of the name Saoirse in their heads to the extent they would confuse the two.

Xavielli Tue 07-Jun-11 16:23:44

I thought Seoiras was the male name?

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Jun-11 16:25:54

I'm afraid I'd think you couldn't spell Saoirse which I think is a well known name in the UK.

Xavielli Tue 07-Jun-11 17:20:45

Seoras, without the i, is the Gaelic form on George

sorchatallulah Tue 07-Jun-11 18:02:53

ShowofHands - Thanks, I was worried that's what it would appear because Saoirse's getting quite well known!

Xavielli - I've never heard that one, but then again I know next to nothing about Gaelic, just Irish!

stardustn Fri 10-Jun-11 17:00:38

My first thought when I clicked on the name was also a misspelling of Saoirse, sorry sad I do like the name though

EnnuiGo Fri 10-Jun-11 17:03:20

Seoirse

SummerRain Fri 10-Jun-11 17:10:24

I've lived in Ireland from the age of 7 and have never come across a Seoirse tbh... I assumed you'd misspelled Saoirse when I read the title.

mathanxiety Fri 10-Jun-11 23:40:48

What about the composer/music professor Seoirse Bodley?

emeraldislander Sat 11-Jun-11 13:59:14

+1 to thinking you'd misspelled Saoirse

SummerRain Sat 11-Jun-11 15:38:16

Never heard of him... should I have?

mathanxiety Sat 11-Jun-11 17:19:56

He is rather obscure, I suppose grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now