Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Sean/Shaun

(13 Posts)
stardustn Mon 06-Jun-11 16:26:54

Hi

I'm considering the name Sean/Shaun for a boy- due to family reasons it has a lot of meaning and significance for me. Its significance is in the 'Shaun' form however, but I believe that Sean is the Irish and more traditional way to spell it?

I'm unsure which spelling to go for, any advice appreciated smile

PrisonerZero Mon 06-Jun-11 16:30:36

I love the name Sean but DP wont let me use it <sob>

I think Sean is the more traditional Irish spelling, with the fedre thing above the 'A' but I don't know how to do it on the PC

valiumbandwitch Mon 06-Jun-11 17:05:53

I'd use Shaun then. Even in Ireland I've known some Shauns, so it's not like Shivawn! Well imo it's not!

the á is called a fada in Irish. NO idea if you have it in Scotland......

valiumbandwitch Mon 06-Jun-11 17:06:34

control+alt+a does that work on your keyboard?

jellybeans Mon 06-Jun-11 17:06:41

I like the name and I know several; most being spelled Sean, but one is Shaun. It's a difficult one as Sean is quite well known but it does seem a weird spelling somehow! i think if it was me I would go for Shaun, if it is more significant i would def go for that one.

pointydog Mon 06-Jun-11 17:15:14

I like Sean a lot.

I really don't like the Shaun spelling

roisin Mon 06-Jun-11 17:20:00

If you go for this name, you need to accept that some people will spell it wrongly - whichever way you do it - because they will "just assume they know".

If that is a major issue for you, then choose another name.

Personally I prefer Sean - as in Sean Bean grin - and all things Irish, but it doesn't help when they're learning phonics in reception!

hulabula Mon 06-Jun-11 18:54:08

I'd go for Shaun - it has more meaning for you and is easier to read/pronounce.

mean Sean Bean grin

mollymole Mon 06-Jun-11 19:44:42

i would go for the traditional spelling of 'Sean' spelled any other way IMO is for those who can't spell or pronounce words/names correctly.

razzlebathbone Mon 06-Jun-11 19:46:43

Sean

darleneoconnor Mon 06-Jun-11 19:48:58

sean

RedCurls Mon 06-Jun-11 19:59:34

Seán gets my vote

SecretNutellaFix Mon 06-Jun-11 20:01:04

Sean.

not keen on the other spelling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: