Talk

Advanced search

Rebekah

(13 Posts)
tummytickler Sun 05-Jun-11 09:03:55

What do you think of Rebekah? I was thinking of using the Hebrew version Rivka as a nn. Dh won't let me use Rivka as a first name, as he does not want anything that screams any type of religious affiliation (I think we get away with ds's names as OT boys names are a bit more mainstream now).

Anyway, Rebekah nn Rivka. What do you think?
My other crush was Marigold, nn Goldie, but thopught Pearl and Goldie might be a bit too much!

CliffTumble Sun 05-Jun-11 09:08:59

Golden = blue peter dog to me. Love rebekah though. Is the nickname pronounced like it is written?

voodoomunkee Sun 05-Jun-11 09:11:42

I have a rebecca, only reason she wasnt 'rebekah' was the fear she would hate the spelling (which I love) and the x wasn't keen. I am biased though as I love the name!!!!

belgo Sun 05-Jun-11 09:12:18

Rebekah nn Rivka is lovely. Marigold is dreadful.

Panzee Sun 05-Jun-11 09:12:26

I like Rebekah.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 05-Jun-11 09:16:15

We chose Rebekah for dd2's middle name, I love the name but can't stand all Becky, Becca, Bex nicknames that go with Rebecca. I've never heard of the nn Rivka but I think it's lovely. it'll baffle the hell out of her teachers though (speaking as an ex-teacher grin).

FWIW don't go with Goldie.

manicinsomniac Sun 05-Jun-11 11:28:21

I'm a Rebecca and always wanted to be Rebekah. And never heard of Rivka but really like it - so much more unusual than Becky or Becca

threefeethighandrising Sun 05-Jun-11 22:52:48

I'm also a Rebecca who's never heard of Rivka - great NN, I like it, go for it!

emmanumber3 Sun 05-Jun-11 23:06:46

I like Rebekah - very pretty. Glad to see you've moved on from Beryl grin.

CocktailQueen Sun 05-Jun-11 23:15:33

Like Rebekah but don't like the spelling - and the nn is unusual - like it tho. We have a Rebecca smile

AlmaMartyr Sun 05-Jun-11 23:24:31

I like Rebekah, am also a Rebecca who has never heard of Rivka. I don't like all the Becky/Becca shortenings that people insist on using.

Not keen on Marigold personally.

5DollarShake Mon 06-Jun-11 02:25:06

I love Rebecca - prefer it to Rebekah, but still like that. Nice nn, much better than all the usual ones.

MrsOzz Mon 06-Jun-11 09:31:33

My God-daughter has a friend named Rebekah and her nickname is Rebe (pn ree-bee) which I thought was both unusual and sweet.

Either Rebe or Rivka are a little different to the norm, but your DD will still have a very jnormal and grown up name for job applicatons etc. Good choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now