Talk

Advanced search

Aimee

(15 Posts)
Hope88 Sat 04-Jun-11 13:02:26

What do you think? Is it a bit ch....? Do you think of Eastenders?

IslaValargeone Sat 04-Jun-11 13:03:56

I don't watch Eastenders, but it's a bit twee and fluffy imo.

MummyDoIt Sat 04-Jun-11 13:05:46

Prefer the spelling Amy. Aimee always looks to me like it should be pronounced in the French way 'Am-ay'. Makes me think of my great Aunt rather than Eastenders! One of those old-fashioned names like Emily which are popular.

jammiedodger11 Sat 04-Jun-11 13:09:29

Awful name, ridiculous way of spelling it! Doesn't help that I taught a little horror called Aimee whose mother was just dreadful.

Maternelle Sat 04-Jun-11 13:10:46

It's the French spelling. Why is it ridiculous?

jammiedodger11 Sat 04-Jun-11 13:12:50

Well I guess if you are in France it wouldn't be but I am not. I just don't like the look of it. That's my opinion, we don't all have to think the same.

IslaValargeone Sat 04-Jun-11 13:14:09

Maybe the french spelling but English pronounciation is a bit..I dunno...daft?

Maternelle Sat 04-Jun-11 13:35:05

You are entitled not to like it (I am not a massive fan myself) but this is not a ridiculous spelling. There are many names used in the UK based on foreign spellings. Ridiculous spellings are made-up spellings. IMHO anyway.

jammiedodger11 Sat 04-Jun-11 13:43:55

If I find the spelling ridiculous and you don't, to me that's a difference of opinion. Nobody is right or wrong here. I offered my thoughts. I'm not here to argue with people and certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone.

pointydog Sat 04-Jun-11 13:45:07

I don't like it. Not keen on the english spelling either.

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Sat 04-Jun-11 13:48:18

Much prefer Amy

I went to school with quite a few Aimees though.

baguettecut Sat 04-Jun-11 13:50:06

Always thought it a very 'meh' sort of name.

aimee0211 Sat 04-Jun-11 13:58:59

lmao this is my name, funny to here peoples opinions. I personally think the name is nice as long as you dont mind having to spell out the name for EVERYTHING, there are so many different ways of spelling it and people always get it wrong for birthdays and christmas, so just be aware that you and your child will forever have to spell out the name. Good luck x

mrsSmurf Sat 04-Jun-11 14:35:12

I think it's a name that is neither here nor there...imo it is not a classical name such as Elizabeth, Emily etc more like a Kylie, Samantha, Lyndsey type of name.

sims2fan Sun 05-Jun-11 13:04:27

I don't think of eastenders. I think of the girls I knew who were Amy who are now mainly in their thirties. It's quite a nice name. I don't particularly like the spelling Aimee, mainly because whenever your daughter tells anyone her name, such as over the phone, they will write it as Amy. They just will. If you're ok with that then go for it, but be aware that she may hate having her name spelled incorrectly (on party invitations, birthday cards, etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now