Talk

Advanced search

Boy's name 'Laurie' - How to pronounce?

(26 Posts)
wetwelly Sat 04-Jun-11 12:38:18

That's it really.. I love this name and prefer it to the full name Laurence. But how to pronounce? I naturally say 'Lorrie' as I think it seems to be the male version but others say 'Law-rie'.. which I think of as more of a female name? Opinions gratefully sought...

TeacupTempest Sat 04-Jun-11 12:41:03

Lorry - as in red lorry, yellow lorry?

meditrina Sat 04-Jun-11 12:41:55

I'd say "Lorry".

ScrotalPantomime Sat 04-Jun-11 12:45:42

My dad is a Laurence and everyone calls him Laury, pronounced 'Lorry'

I am biased obviously but I don't like the spelling Laurie for a boy, the 'ie' instead of 'y' makes it a bit too feminine, IMVHO.

colditz Sat 04-Jun-11 12:46:18

Lorry

My grandpa's name is Laurie, it's definitely Lorry

EvilTwins Sat 04-Jun-11 12:48:27

Laurey is a female character in "Oklahoma!" and that's the only time I've heard it pronounced (or spelt) that way. For a boy, I'd say Lorry, spelt Laurie.

EvilTwins Sat 04-Jun-11 12:48:54

Oops - Laurey as in Lor-ee (like Laura but with an "ee")

ScrotalPantomime Sat 04-Jun-11 12:49:12

(sorry ignore the last bit as you weren't actually asking for opinions - I'll shut up now... But yeah it's definitely Lorry!) blush

MinnieBar Sat 04-Jun-11 12:53:47

Red Laurie, yellow Laurie…

pinkhebe Sat 04-Jun-11 12:55:14

I like the name too, and would pronounce it 'lorry'

SloganLogan Sat 04-Jun-11 13:08:11

Lorry

wetwelly Sat 04-Jun-11 14:10:52

Thanks everyone - confirms my thoughts. I would always say 'Lorry' but was worried I had mis-pronounced it.. I definitely prefer it said as 'Lorry'. More masculine.

ragged Sat 04-Jun-11 14:40:38

I cannot tell what the difference is between the different pronounciations you lot are suggesting. My dad has a name you say like Larry (American pronounciation), quite different from Lorry/Laurie.

What is "Lawrie" supposed to sound like? Lah-ree? Not heard that one before.

wetwelly Sat 04-Jun-11 15:08:23

Ragged - Laurie as in Law-rie as in Court of 'Law'. The other way is Laurie as in 'lorry'... Not considering Larry as to me that is a different name

ragged Sat 04-Jun-11 15:15:37

Nope, never heard "Lawree". Do you consider it an American pronunciation? Am American, too. Maybe I just cannot hear the differences you find obvious.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sat 04-Jun-11 15:22:04

Lawrie = L + orry (as in sorry)

I've never heard the other pronunciation, unless the OP means Lowrie (as in Turner) which I always thought was a mispronunciation of the (welsh) name.

EvenLessNarkyPuffin Sat 04-Jun-11 15:23:39

Lowrie (Turner's) name is pronounced Lou (as in loud) rie. As I said, I'm sure I read on here that that's actually wrong.

colditz Sat 04-Jun-11 16:30:08

Ragged - it's the same difference as between "Holly" and "Harley"

freerangeeggs Sat 04-Jun-11 16:39:43

In some accents there is no difference between law-rie and lorry. I'm Scottish and they are both pronounced in exactly the same way.

BatFlattery Sat 04-Jun-11 21:14:59

Lorry here too. Prefer Lawrence though, just seems more masculine.

mayanna123 Sat 04-Jun-11 21:18:37

Laurence is a girls name, the female version of Laurent. Similar to the name Florence/Florent.

I'd pronounce Laurie as Law-rie.

LorettaMasonPotts Sat 04-Jun-11 21:38:39

Lorry & Lawrie sound exactly the same to me. What's the difference?

Holly and Harley are completely different confused

wetwelly Sat 04-Jun-11 22:03:56

Loretta - To me, Lorry and Lawrie are completely different!! Lorry as in the vehicle.. Lawrie with an 'or' sound ?? Maybe not as obvious as I thought. hmm. I will definitely go with 'laurie' said as 'lorry'

LorettaMasonPotts Sun 05-Jun-11 20:10:48

wetwelly, you'll probably find everyone has their own idea of how to pronounce your LO's name anyway smile.

It's a lovely name however it's said.

IQuiteLikeVodka Sun 05-Jun-11 20:22:08

I have recently named my baby Laurence and we often call him Laurie, I love the name. For some reason I don't have the same love of the spelling Lawrence confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now