Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

A very short girls list.

(25 Posts)
Crawling Thu 02-Jun-11 13:25:09

Melanie
Olivia
Jade

We love all three and will be using one as a first name and maybe one as a second can you say which you prefer please?

Hope88 Thu 02-Jun-11 13:32:14

Olivia is the best. Really lovely name

Don't like Mel as nn for Melanie

I don't like Jade at all.

Pinkjenny Thu 02-Jun-11 13:32:38

Olivia.

5inthebed Thu 02-Jun-11 13:35:30

Not Melanie, she will get Smelly Melly at school <bitter emoticon>

Oivia is ovely, Livvie for a NN

pilates Thu 02-Jun-11 13:48:50

Olivia is the best.

May be Olivia Jade?

pickledsiblings Thu 02-Jun-11 13:52:17

Olivia

CollieandPup Thu 02-Jun-11 14:20:33

grin @ 5inthebed

I vote Olivia too, lovely.

Not to keen on Melanie and don't like Jade. Although Olivia Jade is nice...

crestico Thu 02-Jun-11 14:27:38

In the UK Olivia has been in the top 3 girl's names every month (except December - due to Holly) since Jan-2009.

I can only assume that means there are a lot of parents that also love the name Olivia... but bear in mind she might not be the only one in her class.

If you like it, go for it smile

Olivia Jade sounds best I think

muminthemiddle Thu 02-Jun-11 14:30:36

Olivia gets my vote.

bluebobbin Thu 02-Jun-11 14:34:52

Olivia Jade

I love Jade but DH vetoed it, even as a middle name and I think his attitude is quite well represented amongst the public.

I also like Mel, but she would get SMell as a nn/insult probably.

TheSecondComing Thu 02-Jun-11 14:38:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 14:40:40

Jade is horrible, sorry.

How about Melissa (which I love)? Otherwise, Melanie is the best of the three, imho.

Hulababy Thu 02-Jun-11 14:44:13

Olivia is very very popular if that bothers you much. However it is also very pretty. We chose it for DD's middle name smile

Melanie is nice too. My sister is called Melanie. It does get shortened to mel. She didn't have ny problems with mean nn at school either; just a bit from her mean brother and sister at times wink I like it. I prefer it to Melissa.

I don't like the name Jaade at all, sorry.

Hatterbox Thu 02-Jun-11 14:52:13

Melanie for me.

Jade is a bit erm, well I won't say it, but I'm thinking of a C word.

Olivia is over-done now, bored of it.

fluffygal Thu 02-Jun-11 14:57:36

My niece is Jade and she is far from chavvy. Olivia is extremely popular, no.1 name last year. Don't like Melanie. So out of the choices I would pick Jade.

MollyMurphy Thu 02-Jun-11 15:01:22

I'm going to have to go with Olivia

If I had to pick a second it would be Melanie, but honestly the other two are not my cuppa....but someone above suggested Olivia Jade though - that would work.

swash Thu 02-Jun-11 15:32:58

My best friend at school was a Melanie/Mel and never ever was called Smel.

Great name - as is Melissa. Olivia is super-popular, and I dislike Jade.

MardyBra Thu 02-Jun-11 15:37:49

I like Melanie. It's due for a revival imo. Olivia is too popular but lovely. Jade makes me think of Jade goody, although that connotation will surely disappear over the years.

Crawling Thu 02-Jun-11 15:44:43

Thanks all Olivia is definetly out I didnt realise it was so popular shock I personally really like melanie I dont want a made up name or misspelled name but I dont want a popular name but with that sort of criteria I am certainly not going to get universal approval grin otherwise it would be no 1 name which I dont want.

I always wanted Alexandria but DP said no as his sister named her DS alexander (but they call him xander) so I thought it would be ok but I guess he is right smile

NadiaWadia Thu 02-Jun-11 15:52:48

Melanie is realy pretty, although most Melanies now are in their thirties I would have thought (including 2 Spice Girls of course!). But why should this matter, it is still a lovely name, and would make it less likely that there will be other Melanies in your DD's class, so all good.

Olivia is also lovely, but very popular just now and obviously that bothers you.

Don't like Jade, it is just not classy, and always makes me think of someone with a cold trying to say 'Jane'!

TheSecondComing Thu 02-Jun-11 16:19:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittyBigglesworth Thu 02-Jun-11 16:32:24

I really don't like Jade. Olivia is a little too popular for the moment.
Melanie could make a comeback due to the Anie part sounding like Annie. Melania was used by the ancient Greeks and Romans, I have read it came to England in the mid-17th century so it's quite established and though popular in the 70s was used for a long time before that. I've just noticed that it also has many of the letters of Amelia and without the M has a similar sound to the 'elen' names, such as Eleanor, Helen, Eleni etc.

The capable tv producer, wife character in Lead Balloon is a 'Mel', though I don't know if this is short for Melissa, which I find rather frilly.

mayanna123 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:38:23

Not Melanie, she will get Smelly Melly at school. No more so than an Ellie will be Smellie Ellie or a Tilly will be Silly Tilly etc.... ANY name can be made fun of grin.

Olivia is so overused - it is already used by so many girls. I'd choose something a little more common personally.

Jade is ok.

Boogiemumma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:58:52

Olivia - lovely
Jade - ok
Melanie- dislike

oohlaalaa Fri 03-Jun-11 06:59:58

Olivia

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: