Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Twins dilemmas

(16 Posts)
JanMorrow Wed 01-Jun-11 16:13:18

Hi all, I am expecting twins and wanted to see what people thought of the below combos! We don't know if they're girl/boy or boy/boy, girl/girl but I have some ideas!

Our surname is one syllable and starts with an H.

We already have one daughter - Juniper (Juno) and her mn is Mai after my Gran.

Girl/Girl -
Hermione Alice
(questionable because of our surname beginning with an H? Too closely linked to Harry Potter to ever escape the association?)
&
Wilhelmina (nn Willa) Eliza

Other girls names I like - Verity, Matilda, Hebe (but can't use it as sounds silly with surname), Iris, Delilah, Lyra.

I also really love Cassandra but has this name been spoilt by Fools and Horses etc do you think? Does it make you think Cassaaaaaandra? (would probably use it as a middle name.

Girl/Boy
Hermione Alice
Arthur William

Boy/Boy
Arthur William
Rufus Henry

We also like the boys names Basil (but that's so fawlty towers..) and Sorrell (too unusual?) and Lucian.

Sorry for waffling!

serendipity16 Wed 01-Jun-11 16:34:05

For your girl names i like Verity, Matilda and Iris.
Also think that both Alice and Eliza would be nice first names.
Would prefer Willow over Wilhelmina.

For your boys i prefer the 2nd names over the first names. Really not keen on Basil or Rufus.

UrsulaBuffay Wed 01-Jun-11 16:35:48

I don't like Wilhelmina, I'd prefer nn Mina though. I like all the others. Don't worry about associations, people only say it <to your face> for a short time! Then the child becomes the name.

Lavitabellissima Wed 01-Jun-11 16:41:30

Congratulations on your twins grin I have 7 month old id girls smile
Pop into multiple births and say hello on the life with twins thread when they arrive!

Boys, I like Lucian & Rufus (Lucian was on my boys list)
Girls - I like Iris & Lyra, also Sorrell (I only know one and she is female confused)

JanMorrow Wed 01-Jun-11 16:48:30

Thanks guys! I don't think we'd actually use Basil, just thought I'd throw it in there to illustrate our taste!

I do love Lucian.. hmm, but Lu and Ru would be odd wouldn't it!

Yeah I think Sorrell could be either really although I thought it was a boy's name!

I'm unsure about Wilhelmina because lots of people have wrinkled their noses.. Maybe Hermione Alice and Verity Lyra would be the way to go.

I'll deffo pop on the thread when they arrive Lavita!

squeak2392 Wed 01-Jun-11 17:57:38

Love Hermione! It's my first choice for a girl too smile
I love Wilhelmina too, although I'll only use it if and when I exhaust my own extensive girls name list :p

I don't think Lucian and Rufus is a problem. The endings are completely different; I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.
I love Sorrell.

Oops, I guess I can't help you narrow it down :p
However, I can assure that imo all your names are lovely and whatever you choose you can't go wrong smile

Glad you're not properly considering Basil though - Juniper, Basil and Sorrell would leave people with expectations for the name of any further children :p

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 01-Jun-11 18:02:59

Really love Rufus and like Lucian. Arthur is ok but just seems a bit.....traditional compared to your other names.

Really love Cassandra, Matilda and Eliza. Sorrell is pretty but for a girl I think. Soren is for a boy (I think ?!)

Not keen on on Wilhemina but love Winifred (nn Winnie)

Hedwig3 Wed 01-Jun-11 18:03:42

Love Hebe and Willa!

AlfieandAnnieRose Wed 01-Jun-11 18:31:19

Have to say I love your daughter's name Juniper, its beautiful!
From your list I like Hermione, Matilda, Lyra and Iris. Arthur William sounds like a good solid name. If u like Cassandra how about Cassie?

largeginandtonic Wed 01-Jun-11 18:41:38

I am LOVING your names. Juniper is very cool.

I like Hermione Alice, don't think HP makes any difference. Whilemina Eliza is nice too but a mouthful. Maybe a simpler mn?

I like Aphra, Isadora, Aurelia, Ottolie and Dorothy.

I love Hermione Alice and Arthur William, Arthur is such a great name.

Boy names are good together too.

You could consider Atticus, Caspar, Gilbert, Wilder and Otto.

Brilliant name choices smile

I alos love Basil and Lucian!

tiredteddy Wed 01-Jun-11 18:41:52

Hi , really unhelpful but I love all you girls names , Juno is top of my list at the moment and your others ideas are beautifully unusual/ individual. The boys names are great too, only Arthur Wiliam seems more traditional than you other choices. So exciting for you!!

darleneoconnor Wed 01-Jun-11 18:51:43

Are you going to be strict about their full names being used or allow them to be Arties and Cassies? You have to really think about what they will be called as well as named IYKWIM.

Hermione is a bit HP but is still a nice name. Verity is the best name ever TM, Wilhelmina is one of those names you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Arthur and Rufus are good but I wouldn't use them both as there are too many 'u's.

exoticfruits Wed 01-Jun-11 19:10:14

You can't control their names once they get over about 5yrs. It depends what they want.
I would have Alice and Eliza
Alice and William
William and Henry
and ignore the rest.

UrsulaBuffay Wed 01-Jun-11 19:11:51

I'd feel I'd been shortchanged if I was Willhelmina & my twin was Hermione. Verity is beautiful.

PatriciatheStripper Wed 01-Jun-11 19:18:25

I think the spelling puts a lot of people off Wilhelmina. It is strange that it only seems to exist in the German form. You never see it spelled as pronounced eg Willamina, do you?

JanMorrow Wed 01-Jun-11 21:10:58

Verity and Hermione IS a nice combo.. hmm, thanks guys, food for thought! Maybe I am swinging towards a Hermione, Lucian combo too.. ohhh choices!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: