Talk

Advanced search

Another girls shortlist, with heavy emphasis on Audrey

(31 Posts)
Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 01-Jun-11 06:33:19

Right, so, Audrey? We don't have Coronation Street over in Australia, so my associations are Hepburn and Tatou. And it's not as common here as in the US, but not nearly as unusual as DD1. Are there a lot of little English Audreys running about?

Surname 4 syllable, starts with A. DD1 Edith Clare.

This is current shortlist. I can't have Constance as a first name otherwise it'd be frontrunner, probably.

Audrey Constance
Audrey Isolde
Audrey Helena
Felicity Isolde
Isolde Constance

randomimposter Wed 01-Jun-11 08:53:30

I only know one Audrey - a feisty woman in her 40s.
Goes well with Edith I think.

Audrey Constance is the best I think.

My only reservation is there seems no NN potential, do you always call DD1 Edith or is she ever Edie. If she gets shortened not sure what Audrey could be shortened to.

MelinaM Wed 01-Jun-11 10:23:47

Love Audreysmile

Audrey Constance is my favourite too.

meditrina Wed 01-Jun-11 10:28:31

There aren't many British little Audreys running around precisely because of the Corrie association it immediately provokes here. The UK will never be a good comparator for this name, nor are there likely to be many until some years after the character leaves the soap.

That said, I do know one (prob about 18mth old, parents here for a while during international careers). People do like the name, but struggle to disassociate the soap. Really wouldn't work here - probably fine elsewhere.

Lancelottie Wed 01-Jun-11 10:41:54

I too know a 40-ish Audrey, usually known as Aude. Lovely woman, so I tend to think it's a lovely name.

Lancelottie Wed 01-Jun-11 10:42:14

Audrey Constance is the best combo of that lot, I'd say.

VeraNofftopic Wed 01-Jun-11 10:43:13

It's great, like Audrey Constance & Audrey Helena

FriggFRIGG Wed 01-Jun-11 10:52:54

I LOVE IT!

BTW i have never seen 'corrie' and i have no idea who the character is confused
so my associations are the same as yours really,ive never thought of the name before though.i really want to use it !!

...now all i need is a baby grin

i like audrey constance..but how do you pron' Isolde?

cumbria81 Wed 01-Jun-11 11:30:28

It's dire.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 01-Jun-11 12:38:24

I wouldn't have known about the Corrie thing if I hadn't searched Baby Names before posting, tbh.

Isolde - pretty much phonetically: "I sold 'er". Can also be spelt Isolda.

Audrey Constance is the frontrunner, so glad you all agree with that. I preferred Audrey Violet but that got vetoed as "too many granny names in one place", which, fair enough.

pilates Wed 01-Jun-11 20:28:53

Audrey is awful, much prefer Constance.

Why can't you have this name?

no1childminder Wed 01-Jun-11 20:43:36

My gran is Audrey and her sister is Constance. I love them both!

LemoryMane Wed 01-Jun-11 20:45:51

Lovely names.

Audrey Constance is probably my favourite, but they are honestly all utterly lovely, and I don't say that lightly as I am usually a sniping witch on Baby Names grin

mathanxiety Wed 01-Jun-11 20:50:05

Audrey Constance is lovely, and Edith and Audrey is a nice combination.

squeak2392 Wed 01-Jun-11 21:05:46

I don't know any Audrey's.
I think Audrey Constance is lovely - Constance is my own first choice for a middle name, and Audrey's really grown on me recently.

Audrey or Felicity with Helena or Constance.

mrswoodentop Wed 01-Jun-11 21:09:29

I know an Audrey who has just turned one ,I would choose Helena as a second name

5DollarShake Thu 02-Jun-11 02:19:54

I think Audrey is on the up - get in quick before it becomes very popular!

People associate it with Corrie, but the others Audreys, i.e. the ones you mention in your OP, are so elegant and chic. Beautiful name. smile

5DollarShake Thu 02-Jun-11 02:21:31

I also totally think of Audrey as a brunette's name, because of those associations.

nooka Thu 02-Jun-11 04:00:58

dd has a friend called Audrey (she's 10) and dh has a cousin called that too (she's in her 40s). I think the only downside is that "Aud" is a likely and not very nice nn.

saffronwblue Thu 02-Jun-11 05:15:49

I'm sure here in Australia she will be called Aud. Lovely name but I am still voting for felicity Isolde per your previous thread!

sleepywombat Thu 02-Jun-11 05:43:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 02-Jun-11 06:34:47

I know an Audrey in her 30's and it's a rotten middle aged name on her so goodness knows how bad it would be on a child. Helena is utterly beautiful though.

IvyAndGold Thu 02-Jun-11 07:17:52

i LOVE audrey. wanted it for DD as a middle name as it's my DGM's name, who i'm very close to. but DP said no no no <scowl> the only other i have ever heard of is audrey hepburn, who was beautiful!

saltyseadog Thu 02-Jun-11 07:34:26

It's my grAndmothers name. Her middle name is Iris. Lovely.

YouremindmeoftheBFP Thu 02-Jun-11 09:33:15

Mixed bag of responses here. It seems a bit marmite-y. Fwiw, I LOVE it. Audrey Imogen? Or Audrey Helena.

It will probably get shortened to Auds or Aud though, neither of which are particularly pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now