Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

When can I start to think about names?

(15 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Tue 31-May-11 18:30:41

I can't wait to join in the baby name discussions but only got my BFP this morning. Am I jinxing it by already wanting to post here? confused

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 31-May-11 18:32:42

I only got mine last week and have been dementing my husband about names ever since! but I keep changing my mind!

congratulations! is this your first baby??

Cattleprod Tue 31-May-11 18:34:18

I don't think there's any scientific proof that posting on an internet board increases your chance of miscarriage!

What sort of names do you like?

MrsHuxtable Tue 31-May-11 18:57:48

Yes, it's my first! Haha, can you tell from my silly questions?

I like classic names. I'm also German which means I'd like a name that works in both languages.

For girls I like:

Frederica (my favourite)
Helena
Antonia

middle names would be Sophia Emilia (after my sister and gran respectively)

For boys I like:

Maximilian
Frederic

Girls' names are so much easier...

PS: I'm now off to meet my soon DH for dinner who has no idea about BFP yet!!!!

Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 19:02:56

I like Helena,
I was thinking names years ago before I met DH!

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 31-May-11 19:16:33

I really like Maximillian! it is on my shortlist!

My favourites at the moment are Hugo, Gabriel and Leo, but i haven't thought of a single girls name I really like!

I am sure your other half will be delighted!

squeak2392 Tue 31-May-11 20:04:30

You can start whenever you like - I've been thinking about it for months now, and I'm not even TTC!

I'm afraid I don't like any of the names on your shortlist so far. I prefer Frederica over Frederic though. TBH I'd have thought you were Italian if you hadn't told me otherwise.

I don't think this'll be any help at all, considering we don't seem to share the same naming style, but my favourite Scandinavian names are Kari and Otto.
I think you can go for something more distinctly German than you have yet.

mayanna123 Tue 31-May-11 21:07:39

Congratulations. I love Frederica, Antonia and Helena (I'm also German by the way smile). I'm less keen on the boys names as I find Max and Fred/Freddie a little overused. How about Felix, Quentin or Sebastian?

itsohsoquiet Tue 31-May-11 21:15:11

I love Helena, but it could be something to do with the fact that it is the name of my adorable niece!

itsohsoquiet Tue 31-May-11 21:16:19

oh and I'm still ttc. Not even got a bfp yet and I've already started name lists grin

emmyloo2 Wed 01-Jun-11 04:08:51

I am not even pregnant and think about names. I have a DS who is 6 1/2 months and the best part of being pregnant was choosing his name. I would spend hours on this site going back and forth. In the end we chose one that wasn't even really on our radar....

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 01-Jun-11 04:13:08

When you're about 16, if you're me.

I think I emailed my husband a longlist for comment about a week after BFP this time around. There is no way, given the length of said longlist, that it didn't predate said BFP.

Cattleprod Wed 01-Jun-11 12:59:29

One of my favourite girls names is the name of my friend's German exchange partner. I always thought I might use it sometime. The name is Senia/Senya - not sure about the spelling and haven't come across the name since.

FriggFRIGG Wed 01-Jun-11 20:57:03

i have a long list...we aren't even anywhere near TTC 'DC3'

im talking years away!grin

anyhoo off the top of my head, Germanic names i like :

girls:

Greta
Adette
Maitilde

boys:
Alby
Ivo

whizzyrocket Wed 01-Jun-11 21:16:37

Naming good Germanic names sounds fun! Here's my list:

Alice (it's a name that has served me well! ..although there were several songs with Alice in that used to drive me mad when I was a child e.g. Alice the Camel..)
Adelheide (my favourite for our young bean if "it" is a girl! smile )
Mathilda/Mathilde
Ingrid
Claudia
Erica

Axel
Bruno
Claus

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: