Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Lucas

(20 Posts)
shirleytemp Mon 30-May-11 21:11:05

What do you think of the name Lucas? Do you see it as a 'common' name (not in the sense of frequently used).

Honestly please.

BooBooGlass Mon 30-May-11 21:12:12

Not common. Makes me think of Empire Records grin
[Old gimmer emoticon]

piginmuck Mon 30-May-11 21:13:10

ds2 is Lucas so I am biased but lots of people compliment us on the name choice.

Climbthewall Mon 30-May-11 21:16:39

i like it

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 30-May-11 21:18:03

Not common. I know of about half a dozen. Luca without the s has cropped up recently too. I'm in Sunderland.

piginmuck Mon 30-May-11 21:20:22

As a guide, the people who have complimented the name have dcs including the names: Henry, Max, Jack, James, Theo, Alistair etc. - not names I would particularly think of as 'common'

Youcantaffordme Mon 30-May-11 22:12:23

Latin form of Luke, and I much prefer it to the English version. A bit more masculine than the Italian Luca.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 31-May-11 09:27:28

Nice name, I've a friend with a Lucas. She is Brazilian.

Bucharest Tue 31-May-11 10:36:53

Not common at all. It's lovely, and would be on my list for a boy.

It is much nicer than Luke (which is a bit bland I find) and the awful Luca.

ToTheWeddingIShallNotGo Tue 31-May-11 10:40:40

I like it but bear in mind that it was the biggest climber in 2009. There was an explosion in popularity. Which is not what concerns you I know but sometimes I think concentrated use of it can make it seem something it's not.

I know 3 of them under 5 and they all have the middle name William!

Pinkjenny Tue 31-May-11 10:43:32

My Lucas is beautiful. But there are loads of them.

ToTheWedding - My ds is Lucas William. Lucas is dh's grandad, and William is my grandad. Perhaps Lucas and William were the 'in' names 80 or so years ago!

websticks Tue 31-May-11 11:18:27

I have a Lucas he is 13 now and have only ever had good comments about it. I love the name and it was quiet unusual 13 years ago (never heard anyone called it then) but has become more popular over the past few years.
I dont think it is a 'common' name at all. as i am very posh grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 31-May-11 17:58:40

Our 6th form heart throb was called Lucas. Sigh. That was in 1989!

CharlieBoo Tue 31-May-11 18:10:55

I find it dull tbh....

Much prefer Henry, Harry, James, Jack etc...and I think I prefer Luke

tiptoptally Tue 31-May-11 22:56:56

Mucas

BikeRunSki Tue 31-May-11 23:02:04

I know about 3 Lucases under and 4 or 5" Luca"s - boys and girls - of various ages, social backgrounds etc.

puzzletree Wed 01-Jun-11 08:07:16

I have a Lucas, and know a few other little Lucas's. It's not 'common' but definitely more popular than it was. I'd say it crosses all social groups and is a pretty international name. One of the reasons we chose it.

milliemuffin Wed 01-Jun-11 21:24:38

My nearly 4yo is called Lucas (middle name James same as DP). DP is Star Wars obsessed, we liked the name anyway and even more so because even now he's at school he is the only one we know of, it was perfect for him/us.

doughnutty Wed 01-Jun-11 21:35:23

I also have a Lucas so I'm biased. I'm in Scotland and he often gets called Lewis (which I HATE).

Also, tiptoptally, mucus is spelt with a 'u' not an 'a'!

shirleytemp Wed 01-Jun-11 21:45:16

Thanks. I had heard it branded as chav before but you've put my mind at rest!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: