Talk

Advanced search

Georgia Mae?????

(41 Posts)
reenzeen Sun 29-May-11 11:24:40

Hi currently 35+2 and don't know what we are having, Georgia is my fav on our girls list (still working on my DH as we're Irish and its to way out for him), but i'm wondering is Georgia Mae too much as Mick Jagger's daughter has the same name although I think this is her full name, Mae would be our LO's second name and wouldn't be double barreled.

I really like Mae as my second name is Mary, my mums name is Mary and both my Gran's are Mary's and Mae/May is a short and more current version of Mary.

Is it too try hard to have the same name as celeb???

MsChanandlerBong Sun 29-May-11 13:07:53

Hi. If you are worried about the match with a celebrity name (or spawn of celebrity!) perhaps you should use Mary as the middle name. I'm guessing you prefer Mae, but as it is a family name, and a middle name rather than part of a first name (ie it won't be used all that much in rl), wouldn't you be better to use the actual name and thus avoid all Jagger connections?

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 13:16:33

I agree with MsChanandlerBong (great name btw!!) I'm not a fan of May anyway, and if you are naming after family, just use the actual name Mary. Like you say, it won't be used. Georgia is gorgeous!

breadandhoney Sun 29-May-11 13:16:50

*Mae

Pingpong Sun 29-May-11 13:27:38

I prefer Georgia Mary but both are nice. I don't think many people know that Mick Jagger has a daughter of that name so to me it doesn't sound 'try hard' unless of course your surname is Jagger wink

peeriebear Sun 29-May-11 13:29:11

Mae is really really common as a middle name and I think it will date really badly like the explosion of Kylies in the 80s! I'd go for Mary.

bluebobbin Sun 29-May-11 13:29:37

I would personally choose Georgia Mary. Mary is a very nice name.

Nancy66 Sun 29-May-11 16:10:19

peeeriebear is right - Mae as a middle name is very common and does 'chavify' a first name I think

QuickLookBusy Sun 29-May-11 16:31:50

I really like Mae/May.

I don't think it will date as it is a very old classic name-that can't be said about Kyliegrin

I think Georgia Mae/May is lovely

reenzeen Sun 29-May-11 19:21:40

The reason I was going to go for Mae/May is the fact that I have always disliked my middle name Mary, so didn't want my daughter to feel the same so thought that was a better alternative- although I do know wat u mean- every girl born recently seems to have the second name May or Rose - incidently Rose is my MIL's name so I think if I use Mary this time, next time if I have another girl I will have to use Rose (to keep DH happy) and I don't want 2 unimaginative second names.

agree with quick I think it's more a classic name as opposed to a chavvy one, as any May's I know are well over 60- but I see what the rest of you are saying in that it's overuse is prob wat will make it chavvy.

mmmmmm undecided now confused

LifeOfKate Sun 29-May-11 19:48:51

Definitely use Mary smile

berrymd Sun 29-May-11 20:12:02

Mae is lovely much nicer than Mary.

FunnysInTheGarden Sun 29-May-11 20:15:23

amazing how quickly names turn. I was going to use Mae as a middle name for a DD had my first pregnancy not ended in MC. That was only 6 years ago and twas not chavtastic then. Since then I have had 2 boys so the name choice has been limited!

Youcantaffordme Sun 29-May-11 21:11:02

Mae conjures up Mae West to me, also the lifejacket named after her - not a good look smile

Mary has in the past been a very popular middle name, but not so much now, so your daughter is likely to view it differently from the way you do.

There are plenty more short names out there though.

princessProudmel Sun 29-May-11 21:16:15

If you are going to use May I'd spell it May not Mae . smile

said Sun 29-May-11 21:18:54

Change it to Georgia Rae and then she can have www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRMSUocTd7c this song - which was about his new baby girl smile

TheBolter Sun 29-May-11 21:21:23

May not Mae - Mae sounds like an Americanised, rather bastardised version of May, which is IMO a lovely pure sounding name.

Georgia May is lovely and has a timeless, romantic quality to it.

Mary is IMO a bit dour and mournful sounding. My dsis's middle name is Mary and I'm not too sure about it.

Camerondiazepam Sun 29-May-11 21:30:44

What Bolter said.

smartyparts Sun 29-May-11 21:33:54

Georgia is ok, but anything -Mae renders it chavvy imo

Jojay Sun 29-May-11 21:37:04

Use May not Mae as this removes the 'chavvy' element, imho.

jade80 Sun 29-May-11 21:37:21

The name Mae after another name has been forever ruined for me since I saw the name Tayla-Mae. Ick. Chav central! Shame as I thought it was pretty before, but now it just reminds me of Tayla-Mae.

Bert2e Sun 29-May-11 21:39:56

Well I guess it's better than Jorja Mae but no I don't like it - sorry.

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 29-May-11 23:27:10

Not Mae, not ever.

5DollarShake Mon 30-May-11 03:43:35

Just because you don't like Mary, doesn't mean she won't. Nmes have different connotations for different generations, or else we'd all be calling our children Claire, Karen and Joanne. smile

Mary is classic and elegant. May - or worse, Mae - is just :yawn:

reenzeen Mon 30-May-11 22:10:12

Yeah i see wat u mean about Mae- i have totally went of that spelling- had a total chav moment- thank god for mumsnet smile

Still like the idea of May though, and can't really imagine having my little ones second one name as Mary cos i really disliked mine but I still have to get my DH convinced on Georgia anyway! oh and pick a boys name - currenlty have none confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now