Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames for Elias??

(10 Posts)
kizzyboo5 Sat 28-May-11 21:09:03

Considering Elias if baby is a boy, but DH is not keen on the fact that a nickname would end up being Eli and this sounds girlie.

Any alternative nickname suggestions?

WearegoingonaKwazihunt Sat 28-May-11 21:11:26

My nephew is an Elias and I have never heard it being shortened.

evamummy Sun 29-May-11 20:57:17

I wouldn't shorten it either. And yes, it probably would be Eli, but lots of nicknames are unisex e.g. Sam, Charlie, Alex. I wouldn't worry about it.

Youcantaffordme Mon 30-May-11 01:21:45

Eli is pronounced Ee-lye and isn't girly at all. Are you not pronouncing Elias in the English way (Ee-lye-us)?

maryjane71 Mon 30-May-11 01:23:50

i know an Ellis but everyone calls him Els/Ells, and it suits him

kizzyboo5 Mon 30-May-11 09:37:08

Pronunciation-wise, I was assuming Ell-ee-us (a bit like Elliot), so think that's why hubby is thinking it would naturally get shortened to the girlie sounding Ellie, rather than Ee-lye. If that makes sense!

But yes - I suppose it doesn't need to be shortened (just know what people are like)!! I figure we could have a middle name that could becomes the pet name if necessary. Our DD's first name isn't something that is ever shortened, but her middle name - Kezia - becomes kizzy, and that has stuck as her nickname. Even the nursery staff took to calling her that.

Names, eh?!

squeak2392 Mon 30-May-11 12:24:54

Eli (Ee-ly) isn't girly at all confused. Quite a common nn for Elijah.
I think Elias is one of those names that won't get a nn if you don't want it to. Elliot doesn't get shortened to Ellie, so there's no reason Elias (having a different sound) should get shortened to that.

BumpPlus2 Mon 30-May-11 14:20:17

Kizzy- I think your pronunciation is perhaps the US version (as heard as the President's name in 'The Event'?!). I have never heard Elias pronounced that way in the UK. Lovely name BTW smile

fairydoll Mon 30-May-11 14:29:28

Liar?

kizzyboo5 Mon 30-May-11 16:12:13

Maybe I would get annoyed with people pronouncing his name differently to the way I intended it, then!
Back to the drawing board, perhaps...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now