Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Right, do your worst. What do you think of Ivy?

(54 Posts)
LifeOfKate Sat 28-May-11 20:31:09

DH and I are having terrible trouble picking names for DC2. We don't know the sex (may start a separate thread for boys names!). DH likes nature (inc. flower) girls names, such as Daisy, Poppy, Meadow, Willow. I want something a little more serious, so have suggested Ivy as a not so flowery plant name, which he quite likes. But now I have reservations sad
I think my main issue is that I don't love it - I adore DS's name and I had hoped to love DC2's name too. Also my absolute favourite girls name has been rejected and I think I'm still trying to hold onto it sad
Middle name will be Winifred (my maternal grandmother) and surname is 3 syllables and begins with R.
So, what do you think? Am not bothered by popularity BTW. Any other more 'serious' planty/nature names out there that we might not have thought of?

ElectricSoftParade Sat 28-May-11 20:32:21

I love it but am biased as it was my mother's name <not helpful>.

5inthebed Sat 28-May-11 20:33:20

I like Ivy, but Ivy Winifred sounds a bit too old ladyish to me, sorry.

nearlytherenow Sat 28-May-11 20:36:23

Iris? I far prefer this to be honest. For some reason am just not that keen on Ivy, seems a bit Christmassy to me!

said Sat 28-May-11 20:38:22

What was the rejected name? Ivy is just Ivy Tildsley to me

meditrina Sat 28-May-11 20:42:46

I'm not keen on Ivy as I think "Tilsley".

Some others: Flora, Daphne, Lavender, Rosemary, Rowan, Holly, Shirley (Poppy), Narcissa, Artemisia, Columbine, Honeysuckle?

LifeOfKate Sat 28-May-11 20:47:40

Ooo, quick responses!

Never heard of Ivy Tilsley confused

The rejected name was Matilda sad Apparently he likes it but can't see it on our child hmm DS is Noah.

Oh, and I suggested Iris too (I prefer this), but it was rejected as it reminds him of eyes and he didn't know there was a flower of this name hmm We do both like Rose/Rosie, but with our surname, it sounds like a children's TV presenter grin

meditrina Sat 28-May-11 20:49:08

Ivy Tilsley was a major battle axe on Coronation Street.

tigercametotea Sat 28-May-11 20:49:38

Ixora??

LifeOfKate Sat 28-May-11 20:51:06

5inthebed - not too bothered about how it seems with the middle name, I'm not so keen on Winifred but it's important to us to use it (serious brownie points with my mother, and lord knows I need them wink). I also think people place too much emphasis on middle names, I very rarely have to mention mine and don't even think about it belonging to me if I hear it.

meditrina Sat 28-May-11 20:51:21

Fuchsia, Angelica, Heather, Erica?

barbiebostock Sat 28-May-11 20:52:37

I like Ivy, but have to agree with 5inthebed, it does sound a little old ladyish with the middle name. Willow is beautiful, but again with the middle name seems a little odd. Iris is beautiful, can you not try to convince dh? What about Lily?

meditrina Sat 28-May-11 20:53:57

Hazel, Primrose, Marigold?

LawrieMarlow Sat 28-May-11 20:54:41

My nana was Ivy. DD had a friend at pre school called Ivy (who has a sister called Matilda). I like Ivy smile

meditrina Sat 28-May-11 20:58:23

Virginia (creeper), Bluebell, Neroli, Cherry, Philadelphia, Dahlia?

meditrina Sat 28-May-11 21:00:13

Pansy, Violet?

pilates Sat 28-May-11 21:02:53

Iris and Lily both sound nice with Winifred.

Shame your DH doesn't like Matilda, thats a great name.

How about Violet?

Sorry don't like Ivy.

Beamur Sat 28-May-11 21:05:00

I'm afraid I don't like Ivy either, but think the flower name idea is lovely.

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 21:06:21

mmmm I'm thinking about it. I am trying to get the picture out of my head of the only rather 'old' Ivy my nanna was friends with.
I kind of like it .......yes, No its kind of nice...
Pansy no
Violet maybe
bluebell no

My nanna was Matilda but she never liked it and called herself Marion instead

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 21:06:57

I like Daisy though.........

cupofteaplease Sat 28-May-11 21:08:02

My dd's middle name is Ivy, but she only has that name to remember my grandmother who died when dd was 3 days old and still in SCBU so they never got the chance to meet sad. I wouldn't have used the name otherwise as I don't really like it. My dad used to jokingly call my grandmother Poison Ivy- SIL/MIL love! grin

Anyway, I went to college with a lovely sophisticated girl called Ivory- could that be a possibility?

SouthGoingZax Sat 28-May-11 21:09:27

Daisy was our number 1 for a girl, Ivy is gorgeous too.

GibberingGinger Sat 28-May-11 21:09:44

I really like Ivy. It's a lovely name IMO. I also really love Hazel. Winifred was my granny's name too. It's not a great name, even my granny would admit grin, maybe if you shortened it to Winnie?

GibberingGinger Sat 28-May-11 21:13:20

Oh, I also know a Linden (girl) and a Rowan (girl). Rowan pronouced Row-an (as is ouch I've hurt my finger, opposed to Roe, fish eggs)

LifeOfKate Sat 28-May-11 22:01:27

Thanks for all your suggestions (especially meditrina!).

It needs to be something not too 'out there' and easy to spell as DH is crap at spelling...

I don't want names like Daisy, Lily, Poppy as even though I like them, I just can't take the names seriously (sorry if anyone has one!). They also have a pets name feel to me - in fact, my Dad has just named their new cat Daisy!

I don't like Hazel (bad associations with someone), Pansy (associations with weak?!), Ivory (I can hear DH singing already without even mentioning that one to him!).

I do like Primrose (good as could be shortened to Rose/Rosie for nn without having those names next to surname) and Violet, but both have been rejected by DH (Primrose too poncey, Violet sounds like Violent).

Argh, we are clearly both far too picky sad I just want this magical name to appear which we both love, surely not too much to ask?! wink

No issues with Winifred, we're happy to use it as it is, we don't feel a need to change it in any way as don't think people pay much attention to middle names anyway. Also, changing it would take away our reason for using it and it's very important to maintain that reason smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: