Talk

Advanced search

Scottish twin boys

(20 Posts)
scotty1973 Sat 28-May-11 01:21:11

Hi all, a question for the Scottish (although others feel free to comment).

We're having twin boys and have decided on the names Rory and Finlay for them. My husband thinks that we should go for the original Scottish spellings - Ruairidh & Fionnlagh.
Would this be cruel? I quite like the idea but am not sure it would work in reality.

Would you Scottish mummies know how to pronounce Ruairidh & Fionnlagh? My husband thinks that lots will but I'm not so sure!

PS Forgot to mention that we are Scottish and live in Scotland (the boys will be raised here!).

montmartre Sat 28-May-11 01:24:39

I am not scottish, but my DS has a scottish name, and I know how to pronounce both!

tiptoptally Sat 28-May-11 01:30:00

Ruairidh I would know how to pronounce, but not Fionnlagh - also think he would be open to being called 'Fiona' by other kids at school!! Both lovely names tho!

tabulahrasa Sat 28-May-11 02:12:10

Ruairaidh, isn't really rory though, it's rooa-ree, with the a being really short

fionnlagh, that I'd not get as finlay without being told, it's fee-un-la to me - though my Gaelic is quite rusty

Youcantaffordme Sat 28-May-11 02:12:22

I think they should be bilingual.

fallingandlaughing Sat 28-May-11 10:32:46

Ruairaidh would be recognised, often used in Scotland. I prefer it to Rory.
Never heard of someone using Fionnlagh and doesn't make sense to me.. surely the name is derived from the surnames Finlay and Findlay?

valiumbandwitch Sat 28-May-11 11:01:02

Maybe being familiar with Irish is confusing me, but when I see Fionnlagh, I would assume that it's Fyunnla not Finnlee.

I would be able to pronounce Ruairidh right away, but Fionnlagh doesn't look enough like Finlay to make it obvious.

scotty1973 Sat 28-May-11 12:03:20

In my Scottish accent Ruairidh and Rory are pronounced the same. Are any of you Scottish? Fin-lee isn't how I'd pronounce either Fionnlagh or Finlay. It's more like Fin-lay.

fallingandlaughing Fionnlagh is a first name and Finlay is the anglicised form or it. Same goes for Ruairidh and Rory!

Looks like we should stick to the anglicised forms smile

agora1 Sat 28-May-11 12:37:33

I am Scottish and would pronounce Ruairidh (Roori) and Rory (Roari) differently. I also wouldn't know how to pronounce Fionnlagh. I would personally either go for Rory and Finlay or Ruairidh and Finlay.

I'm from south west Scotland btw.

scotty1973 Sat 28-May-11 12:42:58

Thanks agora1

stressedHEmum Sat 28-May-11 14:19:23

I am Scottish and would know what both names were. BUT, I would say something akin to Rooari, with a very small a, and Fi-on-lay, again with a very, very small o sound

tabulahrasa Sat 28-May-11 14:25:21

Yep, I'm Scottish - it's Scottish gaelic I was talking about, though the spelling works the same way as Irish anyway.

Rory is roaree and ruairaidh isn't IMO anyway, lol

freerangeeggs Sat 28-May-11 14:27:17

I'm Scottish and I would know both names too. Ruairidh (prn roo-ry, not row-ry) is very common - in fact if you combined all the different spellings it would be quite high in the name charts. Fionnlagh looks too try-hard. It's not usually spelled that way in Scotland - in fact I've never seen it used before.

Fionn is a nice spelling of Finn and more common than Fionnlagh.

I'm sure there was also a Scottish king named Findlaech. Maybe Findlay would be a compromise?

Tuggy Sat 28-May-11 16:39:08

I am Scottish and would say Ruairidh (which you should pick!) as Roo-rey and say Rory as Roar(like a lion!)-rey

I think you should have

Ruairidh and Finlay

Baby2b Sat 28-May-11 18:06:04

Agree with tuggy. Btw, I love both names, good choices smile

FalachFead Sat 28-May-11 18:19:56

Well as a Scottish Gaidhlig speaker I would pron Ruairidh as Roo-a-ree and Fionnlagh as fyoo-laiy. Def not Rory and Finlay. Do you want to pronounce the names as Rory/Finlay?

nearlytherenow Sat 28-May-11 20:31:19

I am Scottish (and have lived my whole life in Scotland), and would recognise Ruairidh but not Fionnlagh. As others have said, I would pronounce Ruairidh as "Roo-a-ree" (lovely name!), not "Rory" (which I see as a quite different (English?) name.

I always think of Rory / Ruari as wrong / anglicised versions of Ruairidh, whereas think Finlay is the normal Scottish spelling (I've never seen your suggested spelling used). No idea if this is actually right, it's just how I perceive these names.

Finlay is very popular round here just now, and I think people would automatically assume that this was your son's name, he'd be forever correcting them.

Fandangos Sun 29-May-11 08:29:59

I am Scottish too and agree with the others who said go for Ruairidh and Finlay (I wouldn't know how to pronounce the other way of spelling Finlay), as long as you don't mind Ruairidh being pronounced "Rooaree'.

Congrats, I'm expecting twins too, but don't know the sex, so have to have 2 good Scottish or Italian names for girls or boys, I'm struggling!

scotty1973 Sun 29-May-11 11:49:41

Thank you all! I have showed my husband the responses and I think we will go for Rory & Finlay as we would like them to be pronounced this way.

Good luck with your twins Fandangos!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now