Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Phillippa? Do you like it? Is it going to be HUGELY popular?

(36 Posts)
PotatoWaffle Thu 26-May-11 14:10:11

What do we think? I love it for dc2 but think it may expolde in popularity due to middleton.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 26-May-11 14:11:15

I like it but think its going to become very popular.

minipie Thu 26-May-11 14:13:26

I like Pippa but not Phillippa (generally not keen on girls' names that look like feminised versions of boys' names)

And yup, I do think it's going to be popular.

slowshow Thu 26-May-11 14:24:32

Isn't it normally spelled with either one L and two P's, or two L's and one P?

In fact, that's the main problem with that name - spelling it grin

I think Philippa is the conventional spelling anyway, with a few people opting for Phillipa. Not sure I've ever seen it spelled Phillippa.

excellentadventure Thu 26-May-11 14:27:40

Why would anyone want to name a child after that smug orange woman?

AngryFeet Thu 26-May-11 14:29:50

I have never met a Philippa I liked.

coccyx Thu 26-May-11 14:31:40

Awful name

excellentadventure Thu 26-May-11 14:39:42

I agree it's awful, a clunky-sounding attempt to feminise a man's name.

Pictish Thu 26-May-11 14:40:39

No I don't like it, and no it is not going to be hugely popular.

hulabula Thu 26-May-11 14:41:15

I dislike it. Philip for a boy is nice but I don't like Philip for a girl, sorry.

Why would it become popular confused?

hulabula Thu 26-May-11 14:41:48

sorry, meant Phillipa of course. But am still missing what should make it become popular...

hulabula Thu 26-May-11 14:42:22

And Pippa is too close to Pippi (wee in many languages grin).

Pictish Thu 26-May-11 14:43:48

There was a Phillipa at my primary school....she was born without one arm and had a false one. She was a tantrum chucker and really unpleasant. She twice (that I saw) took that false arm off and hit other children with it. Hard.
That's what the name brings up for me.

Megmeg Thu 26-May-11 14:44:39

Im sorry I dont like it very much either, Pippa is OK, but only OK.

excellentadventure Thu 26-May-11 14:55:59

'Pippa' is horribly twee.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 26-May-11 14:58:41

I like it, not enough to use it but it's ok. But you're going to get a load of twits coming on to labour the point that Pippa is Vietnamese or Serbo-Croat for wankstain or something.

hulabula Thu 26-May-11 15:09:08

"But you're going to get a load of twits coming on to labour the point that Pippa is Vietnamese or Serbo-Croat for wankstain or something."

Imo that is one of the benefits of the (global) internet. That you CAN find out what names might mean in other languages, especially in an ever globalising economy.

Still don't see why people would name their child after the sister of a future queen. WHY confused?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 26-May-11 15:13:11

Pippa means blowjob in Greek. grin

VivaLeBeaver Thu 26-May-11 15:14:16

I don't think people are naming kids after Pippa Middleton as such. Its just that they've heard the name in the press recently and thought its a nice name.

I've delivered 2 baby Pippas in the last couple of weeks. Never had one before that in 6 years of midwifery.

wigglesrock Thu 26-May-11 16:16:05

It always reminds me of the Mum in Home & Away but I'm horribly old grin

Hedwig3 Thu 26-May-11 18:21:57

Not a fan of any names that are obviously feminised boys names.

valiumbandwitch Thu 26-May-11 18:35:42

There might be a few, but not a significant increase that wouldn't have happened cyclically anyway.

oohlaalaa Thu 26-May-11 18:56:24

I went to school with three Philippa's. One was called Pip, another Pippa, and the third Philly.

RockOnMrs Thu 26-May-11 19:02:56

I don't like it. I've also never met a nice one in real life. And as for Pippa Middleton - I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about! So she went on a starvation diet and dyed herself orange for her sister's wedding - so what? <<miaow emoticon>>

But if you like the name OP, then go for it - it doesn't matter what other people thing. My DS has a very unusual name that all the grandparents hated when they first heard it - but we (Dh and I) love it and that's all that matters.

JoanofArgos Thu 26-May-11 19:04:30

as the mother of a Kate, I can't comment....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: