Talk

Advanced search

please help Esme or Belle/Bella??

(24 Posts)
AvasLovelyMummy Thu 26-May-11 10:46:09

Me and DH really struggling with girls name for baby number 2.
We both aagree on these names just not sure the more I say them, both are very unusual around our area. Help is very much needed! Thank u

DaisyHayes Thu 26-May-11 11:01:40

They are both names from the Twilight novels. So actually very 'on-trend' at the moment. They may be unusual now, but probably there will be a few of them the same age as your baby when she is born.

Belle and Bella are NMs for Isobel, which is massively popular.

Would you be saying Ez-mee or Ez-may? And will you be bothered by some people calling her the 'wrong' version?

tammytoby Thu 26-May-11 11:02:49

They're both not my taste. Not sure how to 'help' - do you want us to say which one WE would choose of offer you other suggestions?

AvasLovelyMummy Thu 26-May-11 11:16:01

I think the twilight link has just been a coincidence. It would be Ez-may and yes I would correct if it wasn't pronounced correctly.
I'm open to suggestions we really struggled with girl names last time but come up with one just in time.

pilates Thu 26-May-11 11:23:04

Esme is the name I prefer.

DaisyHayes Thu 26-May-11 11:24:17

Is your daughter called Ava? That is also quite popular (not that this is necessarily a problem), so perhaps don't worry too much about how 'used' or otherwise her sister's name is.

I think Ava and Esmé sounds good.

Ava and Bella is too vowel-ey at the ends and I dislike Belle as it it is a very 'princessey' sort of name.

Hedwig3 Thu 26-May-11 11:31:10

Bella

valiumbandwitch Thu 26-May-11 11:35:30

I like both.

Is it to go with Ava?

In that case, I think Bella, she sounds more like the sister of Ava!

Mrsmackie Thu 26-May-11 11:39:25

Both very popular but both pretty - think I prefer Bella though

AvasLovelyMummy Thu 26-May-11 11:59:36

Yes its to go with Ava, I do seem to be going with bella but I think within time it'll just get shortend to belle? Thanks for your help everyone!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HHxx Fri 27-May-11 11:22:39

I always thought it was pronounced ez-may??

But Esme is nicer than Bella I think.

TobyLerone Fri 27-May-11 11:25:02

If you want it pronounces as ez-may, you need to put an accent over the 'e'. Esmé.

My daughter is Esme, without the accent, so ez-me. Far nicer and less pretentious, I think grin

TobyLerone Fri 27-May-11 11:25:11

*pronounced

OTheHugeManatee Fri 27-May-11 11:26:32

If you call your child Esme or Bella you will be forever suspected of being one of those Twihard weirdos. It's a shame, as they're both lovely names, but that's not an association I'd want.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 27-May-11 11:28:24

Much prefer Bella, can't see the attraction in Esme at all, it sounds like someone sneezing!

TobyLerone Fri 27-May-11 11:30:28

True, OTHM. Which is a shame. I was talking about this with someone yesterday, and saying that hopefully my daughter (who was named after my grandmother, not a character in a wanky book!) will have missed the rush, being 10.

IWantToBeAFairyWhenIGrowUp Sat 28-May-11 13:33:02

I like all of them, however, I prefer Belle (just cause Beauty & The Beast is my fave Disney film).

Youcantaffordme Sat 28-May-11 16:15:02

There's a Ruth Rendell book with a character called Ismay. Not seen it as a forename before, but it's probably a variation of Esmé. Could be used if you want to dodge the Twilight association.

oohlaalaa Sat 28-May-11 16:22:56

Esme

Boogiemumma Sat 28-May-11 17:02:57

Esme is my fav and I'm surte I won't be the only person who has never watched / read Twilight or has no idea what they're called

Prinpo Sat 28-May-11 17:20:56

Esme, pronounced Ez-may. Lovely name, goes really well with Ava.

Although Bella and Esme are both Twilight characters, given that you're only choosing one name I don't think people will make the connection.

UrsulaBuffay Sat 28-May-11 17:27:06

Esme.

Belle & Bella a bit ubiquitous.

5DollarShake Mon 30-May-11 03:51:42

Esmé pronounced Es-may. Unless, of course, you also pronounce Reneé 'Renny' and paté 'patty'.

Belle/a much more over-used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now