Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Names for boy/girl twins

(22 Posts)
abitlikemollflanders Wed 25-May-11 20:05:19

OK, need honest opinions here. Everyone I mention our referred boy/girl names to in real life think that we're joking and that I'm just not giving out the real names until the birth (wish I'd been so sensiblesmile)

For a boy....Murphy (I know it is more common as a surname but we do know people who have it as a forename)

For a girl...Clementine

Are they really awful? Am I just in pregnant baby name madness and is DH just going along with me for an easy life??? (obviously I really want people to tell me they love them!)
Thanks

themildmanneredjanitor Wed 25-May-11 20:10:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

abitlikemollflanders Wed 25-May-11 20:11:12

Oh no...

themildmanneredjanitor Wed 25-May-11 20:16:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pilates Wed 25-May-11 20:19:06

Clementine is quite nice.

Murphy - sorry really don't like and doesn't go with Clementine.

tummytickler Wed 25-May-11 20:19:39

Clementine - ok, bit trendy, and nn Clemmy is horrible - sounds like clammy.

Murphy - ok, though I am not keen on surnamey names.

Not sure they go together, one seems modern and the other old fashioned.

Frankie000 Wed 25-May-11 21:39:00

I have a sister called clementine and think its a beautiful name. Not too keen on Murphy though sorry, sounds like a surname to me smile

MelinaM Wed 25-May-11 21:52:08

Clementine is absolutely beautiful, but it does not sit well with Murphy. Murphy is very much a surname (and a Irish stout), and is not a nice first name for a little chap I'm afraidsmile ...plus I know of two dogs that go by this name!

randomimposter Wed 25-May-11 21:55:10

How about Clemency and Malachy?

Edmundo Wed 25-May-11 21:59:01

Clementine is on the up - has a very trendy feel to it (like Matilda). It is OK.

Murphy is too much of a surname.

abitlikemollflanders Wed 25-May-11 22:21:58

Oh God, Matilda was another one I liked - clearly I have no taste!

I LOVE Murphy - that was the one I was most sure of. Does noone like it? Really?

I get the feeling that I would be resigning my daughter to a lifetime of that song so maybe no for Clementine but really a no for Murphy? Is it that bad? I do know others (Scotland).

Thanks for the honestysmile

abitlikemollflanders Wed 25-May-11 22:22:48

I do like Malachy but my sister's son already has this name x

GibberingGinger Wed 25-May-11 22:31:18

Would Murray not be better than Murphy? Though to be fair I prefer Murphy to Clementine. I know its becoming quite popular (see on Trend names thread) but to me it will always be a satsuma/tangerine fruit. Just weird IMO,like calling a kid pineapple.
(PS also in scotland - I think surname names are more traditionally accepted here)

nelly83 Wed 25-May-11 22:40:26

If you like surname type names what about Miller? I know one who is lovely. Clementine is lovely but not something I would choose. What about Cleo?

Bellbell Fri 27-May-11 11:02:23

I think they're cool, Murphy and Clem, and if you really like them go for it, or you will regret as some of the other current threads testify. Also I've notoced there's a bit of a SE demographic bias on here so anything a bit Celtic which is not 'Lachlan' or along those lines tends to get the thumbs down!

squeak2392 Sat 28-May-11 18:44:41

I really like Clementine, but I'm not sure about Murphy. I like a lot of surname-first names, but I can't see this one working well.

suspiria Sat 28-May-11 20:45:41

I'm a big fan of Clementine, beautiful name

Murphy just isn't really my taste

RueLaChesty Mon 30-May-11 00:25:44

not keen on clementine, but i do like murphy.

i love murray though, just thïnk its a great name.

i like surname-firstnames. DD1 has one.

Also DD has a name that a lot of people screwed their faces up at and some even commented negatively but i've never regretted calling her and she's now 2.8yo. Go with what you love.

PrincessScrumpy Mon 30-May-11 13:15:09

Clementine is popular at the moment but I'm not a fan I'm afraid.

I hate surnames used as first names I'm afraid - it sounds rather chavvy but dh and I had a nightmare with boys names so I do sympathise. we're expecting twin girls and have struggled to find 4 names. First names are set but middle names are up for debate.

We're not telling people in RL our names as they might give opinions we don't want. People tend to keep their mouths shut after babies are born.

Having said that, everyone has different tastes and if you like them, go with them. I'm a traditional name kind of girl so I like things like William, so we're probably quite different people.

SherbetDibDab Mon 30-May-11 13:30:41

I like them. Who cares what we think anyway. Go with what you love.

Sylvaniasandwich Mon 30-May-11 15:22:26

I love Clementine - and Clemency is also really nice; Murphy makes me smile for some reason. I wouldn't pick it as a name but I like trad names.

I would say go for Murphy and Clementine if you love those names and your DH does too. Names grow on people once they get used to them.

valiumbandwitch Mon 30-May-11 16:13:19

I'm Irish so this influences my reaction to Murphy, but I don't like it for a first name. Would you use Smith?!

Clementine is nms but It's ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: