Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Beryl

(277 Posts)
tummytickler Sat 21-May-11 14:09:21

Can I use Beryl if I already have a Pearl?
Dh and I agree on 4 girls names. I also have two more that I am trying to get him to agree to.
Beryl is my favourite from the 4 we agree on, but we have a dd Pearl already.

She is nearly 6, so at school. Baby and dd will not be at toddler group together or anything like that.

What do you think?

Grumpla Sat 21-May-11 14:12:43

I think they go quite nicely!

I love the name Beryl, although I think I would end up calling her Bee!

peeriebear Sat 21-May-11 14:12:51

Instantly think of Beryl Cook and her ladies, or Beryl the Peril from the Dandy. not my cup of tea but it's your choice in the end! smile

IslaValargeone Sat 21-May-11 14:13:49

Erm, I don't thinnk she'll thank you for it tbh.

LetThereBeRock Sat 21-May-11 14:16:54

No you can't. They'd sound ridiculous,and Beryl is a hideous name.

Haven't you asked this question a few times now?

LetThereBeRock Sat 21-May-11 14:17:33

I'm sure you've been given opinions on this before.

Journey Sat 21-May-11 14:18:35

Having a Beryl and a Pearl sounds silly, plus Beryl is a horrible name.

Bumperlicioso Sat 21-May-11 14:19:08

Nope, think it is an awful name, especially with Pearl.

LetThereBeRock Sat 21-May-11 14:34:45

Anyway it doesn't matter.You're entitled to ask 100 times if you like,and perhaps you just want some fresh opinions.

What are the other names you like if I may ask?

tummytickler Sat 21-May-11 14:51:53

I have asked before during my last pregnancy, was looking for fresh opinions. I guess I just want everybody to say Pearl and Beryl are fine together grin
I am not so bothered about opinions on the name Beryl as I really like it, more if it is ok to have 2 gemstone names in the family, or does it sound daft?

Other names dh likes are Susan, Mildred and Ursula.
I am trying to get him to agree to Priscilla or Thisbe.
He has vetoed everything else!

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 21-May-11 14:55:55

Beryl is a hideous name and not old lady chic, just old lady. And drop the Mildred, you're taking it way too far.

Ursula is beautiful.

IslaValargeone Sat 21-May-11 15:03:52

I don't think the gemstone names are an issue particularly, but Beryl and Mildred? Come on.
Go with Ursula.

MayDayChild Sat 21-May-11 15:06:16

Love beryl. She can marry my Edwin!!

lostinwales Sat 21-May-11 15:09:22

I have a fabulous Auntie Joan whose first name is Beryl, I think the fact that she is Auntie Joan should answer you question.

ManicAnnie Sat 21-May-11 15:10:56

No. Please. Beryl is vile and sounds weird with Pearl. Pearl is so lovely, too. Don't go for Beryl. Come to your senses, woman!

Ursula is nice, btw.

IslaValargeone Sat 21-May-11 15:13:32

I normally adopt an attitude of each to their own when it comes to naming children, but I do feel intervention is needed here.

Janoschi Sat 21-May-11 15:14:24

Love love love Beryl. Can't see a huge problem with having a Beryl and a Pearl - the Victorians liked to name daughters after themes such as flowers or gemstones. My first DD is a bird, and I'd love any future sibling to have a similar nature name. Anyway, after childhood, no-one in the outside world will know that they both have gemstone names. My friends and work colleagues don't know my sisters names. Just go for it if you like it. If the majority of Mumsnet folk like Beryl, then you can probably expect it to be the next Imogen, Isabelle and Olivia. Be happy they don't seem keen! :-)

ManicAnnie Sat 21-May-11 15:19:05

There is a reason why some names aren't popular, though....

Janni Sat 21-May-11 15:20:10

Well, if you want to give your daughter a genuine grievance when she's a teenager, go ahead and call her Beryl.

tummytickler Sat 21-May-11 15:21:48

I think I would be more annoyed as a teenager to be an Isabel than a Beryl tbh!

TooManyBlossoms Sat 21-May-11 15:24:31

Beryl??? Sorry but (in my opinion) it's a dreadful, ugly name. So is Mildred. Ursula is the best of your shortlist.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 21-May-11 15:25:54

And therein lies the problem. "I think I..."

WorzselMaamage Sat 21-May-11 15:28:47

I told you how hideous it is last time you asked.

Janoschi Sat 21-May-11 15:38:12

Oh call her Beryl! I bet 5 years ago, the majority here would've said 'You can't call a girl Pearl! It's SO old-ladyish!'. Now apparently it's a nice, approved name. Same for Ruby and look how popular that is now. You're just a few years ahead of things, my dear.

Janoschi Sat 21-May-11 15:39:30

Anyway, I thought teenagers focused most of their embarrassment on their parents, not their name!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: