Talk

Advanced search

Bilingual boy naming challenge

(15 Posts)
MummyAbroad Sun 01-May-11 00:15:39

Help appreciated with this one as it is a little complicated. We have Spanish speaking grandparents on one side and English speaking ones on the other, so we need a name that is pronouncible in both languages without much change.

DS one is called Dylan which pretty much works in English and Spanish, but it took us AGES to come up with that. Need help with DC2 also a boy.

I hate really boring, common names like Dan, Ben, Peter etc but also am not willing to go too far in the other direction with really outlandish names like Aurelius etc.

As a basic rule anything with a J, G, V or H or double L is out. What does that leave us with?

floozietoozie Sun 01-May-11 00:32:36

Have friends in the same position who used Max. Too ordinary?

MelinaM Sun 01-May-11 00:36:45

Alexander
Edward / Eduard
Elias
Flynn
Iago
Leon / Leo
Monty
Oliver - Olly
Phineaus - Fin
Reuben
Theodore - Theo
Tobias - Toby

MummyAbroad Sun 01-May-11 13:34:38

Thanks, some good ideas in there, I will see what DH thinks.

floozie Funny, Max was the only name we have come up with so far. I think its a tinsy bit boring, but wouldnt discount it.

thumbwitch Sun 01-May-11 13:39:20

Philip
Stefan
Alex
Antony

CarefulWithThatAxeEugene Sun 01-May-11 14:16:15

Raphael/Rafael

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 01-May-11 15:50:57

Gabriel

pipoca Sun 01-May-11 16:03:32

Nicolás

fallingandlaughing Sun 01-May-11 16:42:16

Sebastien/an

cierzo Thu 11-Aug-11 16:42:15

Not sure if you still are looking for names, but what about Oscar, the spelling and pronunciation is the same. smile

I'm Spanish and I will have to go the same route in some point.

Also some names which in the UK are very popular in Spain are not in fashion and are a bit old fashioned.

Also you can try Christian/Cristian, Daniel, Iker, Julen, Marco.

LaTristesse Thu 11-Aug-11 16:52:07

DS1 is Nico - that would work...

InstantAtom Thu 11-Aug-11 17:10:30

Arlo
Oliver
Saul
David
Victor
Samuel
Hector
Lucas
Leo
Isaac
Aaron
Felix
Rafael
Nicolas
Diego
Emilio
Carlos
Adam
Eric
Joel
Daniel
Hugo

cierzo Thu 11-Aug-11 19:00:43

Nico is Nicolas in Spanish.

Oliver translated to Spanish is Oliverio and it is old fashioned, and when I mean old fashioned I imagine a 70+ man with that name.

As I said some names got translation in Spanish and that translation may be not be very of this modern times. Just an advise. smile

InstantAtom Thu 11-Aug-11 19:31:53

Oliver is in the top 100 baby boys names in Spain 2010 though...

cierzo Fri 12-Aug-11 20:30:56

Not sure where the information for that list came from, but you can actually check how common is certain name in Spain through here:

http://www.ine.es/daco/daco42/nombyapel/nombyapel.htm

I guess it got popular via two places, parents from abroad and a football Japanese cartoons in the nineties. smile Called Oliver and Benji.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now