Talk

Advanced search

Is Finley/Finlay a 'fashion' name??

(90 Posts)
Marzipanlover Tue 15-Mar-11 19:37:48

What do you think of Finley being a 'fashion' name instead of a classic name? Do you think in 30 years time, people will think that it's really dated? Or does it not really matter?
I'm having a battle over picking a classic or a more 'now' name!

3nearly4 Tue 15-Mar-11 20:30:27

I have a Finlay.

I think that Finlay is more classic than Finley but neither are James, Edward or William! It may well sound dated in 30 years, that's the gamble you take I'm afraid when you steer away from James and Edward.

All four of my boys have 'risky' names (Noah, Finlay, Oscar & Hugo) and they all may linked to this era. Personally I don't think it matters but if you want a timeless name then I'd stick to the true classics.

MrsSnow Tue 15-Mar-11 20:31:52

I know a Finlay but I think that is more because the parents are Scottish. Not sure if that helps!

SlainteBooyFeckingHoo Tue 15-Mar-11 20:32:01

i have heard of quite a few finlays/finleys/finns being born over the last couple of years.

babyapplejack Tue 15-Mar-11 20:32:46

I don't like Finley but I do like Finlay. I do think it is more modern than the classics such as William etc, but I wouldn't say it was a fashion name.

PepsiPopcorn Tue 15-Mar-11 20:52:53

Yes, it's a fashionable name ATM, whereas I didn't hear of any Finlays until a few years ago.

mathanxiety Tue 15-Mar-11 20:53:20

It will be a girl's name in 30 years.

BigChiefOrganiser Tue 15-Mar-11 20:54:24

I think it is quite popular now. I prefer a straight Finn without the ley/lay on the end.

Underachieving Tue 15-Mar-11 20:56:47

It's rather current yes but then does it matter loads? It's not like it's so hyper fashionable that he'll seem dated by the age of 18, it is quite wearable, even if I wouldn't choose it.

Edmundo Tue 15-Mar-11 20:59:43

Finlay is most definitely a classic name in Scotland. I lived there for 15 years and met Finlays of all different ages.

Finley is more fashion. I guess it's a bit like Stephen and Steven Stephen is classic whereas Steven is more fashion-y.

Wayyyyyy too popular on boys to go to the girls! Names like Lesley/Hilary etc were never popular on boys therefore more usable on girls.

ShowyTech Tue 15-Mar-11 21:55:49

ATM it's fast rising up the charts. Every other newborn I hear of atm is a Finn/Finley/Finlay. It's a classic name in the same way as Oliver or Eva, but I think they're so popular atm that they're going to date for a time and be replaced by other 'classics'. They come round, you get hundreds of them and then a new name takes its place for a while.

stillfrazzled Tue 15-Mar-11 22:00:04

I just had a Finn, and am quite surprised by the number of people who think it's weird - but none of them spend much time round little kids, nurseries etc.

So yes, would say they are fashionable ATM - but I'm hoping they're classic enough to stand the test of time. I don't think (and bloody well hope not!) they're going to become the next Wayne or Jason.

LittleTeds Tue 15-Mar-11 22:08:05

I think of it as an old name so not a new fashion name.

Finn is super duper!

CharlieBoo Tue 15-Mar-11 22:14:01

Def a fashion name for me ... Sorry

TheSecondComing Tue 15-Mar-11 22:14:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rachel234 Tue 15-Mar-11 22:15:45

I know loads of Fins and Finns here in Surrey and think it will start to feel dated soon.

Beamur Tue 15-Mar-11 22:17:52

I was at school with a Finlay - 30 years ago.
One of two 'Finn's' around here now (kids not grown ups like me)

magentastardust Tue 15-Mar-11 22:22:38

I have a Finlay (We are in Scotland ) and 8 years ago when I picked the name there really weren't that many around apart from old scottish uncles/grandads!
I still love the name but it is definately very popular now-DS has 2 other friends also called Finlay. (Don't really get the Finley spelling in Scotland).
I feel a bit meh that its so popular now but I still love the name and you don't know how popular the name will be at the time of picking it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 15-Mar-11 22:27:33

Finn/Finlay/Finley the Fire Engine seem to be very now names and will date. Think Kevin/Adrian/Gareth.

bananamom Tue 15-Mar-11 22:32:58

I went to uni with a Finlay so it doesn't feel new to me. I liked him, so I like the name.

I like Adrian though, so what do I know

Vicky2011 Tue 15-Mar-11 23:14:55

.....and I like Gareth too.

But not Kevin.

FWIW I think Finlay is a really nice, modern classic but I do think it is very current and that even in 10 years will sound a bit dated. This is just anecdotal but there seem to be many fewer Joshuas than 10 yrs ago, and I feel that Finlay etc will be similar. Not a reason to not go for it though!

Edmundo Tue 15-Mar-11 23:24:24

Statistically, Joshua is still in the top 10. Not less popular than 10 years ago.

Every name in the top 200 or so will date (other than the mega popular classics like James and Thomas).

CakeandRoses Tue 15-Mar-11 23:48:11

i know a Finlay (girl!)

BertieBasset Wed 16-Mar-11 12:56:34

Wasn't there a girl called Finlay in Home & Away. Showing my age and lack of taste in television there grin

I think it may well date, but look at Richard or Helen. They have dated in the sense that they are not common names for babies now, but they are still classic iykwim?

mopsyflopsy Wed 16-Mar-11 13:02:50

I know loads of Finlays, Finleys, Finnians, Finnegans, which are known Fin or Finn and yes, I do think it is a 'trendy' name and will start to feel dated soon.

I hadn't realised it was used for girls too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now