Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Boys name - please give your opinions

(33 Posts)
Bunnyjo Tue 18-Jan-11 22:36:52

Hello all,

I am pregnant with DC2 and it was confirmed at the 20wk scan that he is definitely a boy.

DH and I have been discussing names and we have whittled it down to a shortlist of 3 names. They are:

Oscar
Ruben
Elijah

Any opinions would be gratefully received - thanks smile

tummytickler Tue 18-Jan-11 22:41:22

Ruben or Elijah. My 8 year old is an Elijah (but he goes by Eli), and I still love his name, but I only like it with a soft 'J', and get very annoyed when people pronounce it with a hard 'j' as in jam!
Irrelevant, as he will not be called anything but Eli!
Ruben is lovely 2. It is a family name on my mothers side, but we cannot use it - so I would like you to use it for me please grin .
Oscar is very dull, but you do have the glorious Oscar Wilde as a rather fabulous namesake. I do not like the name though.

tummytickler Tue 18-Jan-11 22:42:47

I am sorry, I do not know why I put a numerical 2 instead of too! I don't do text speak, but clearly it is seeping into my brain!

onimolap Tue 18-Jan-11 22:44:44

Oscar - lovely, but quite a lot of them around.
Reuben - OK
Elijah - sounds like a member of a non-Conformist sect.

catinboots Tue 18-Jan-11 22:45:57

Oscar - boring

Elijah - Nice but a bit Meh

Reuben - gorgeous

PracticallyImperfectInEveryWay Tue 18-Jan-11 22:46:20

In order of preference:
Elijah (by a country mile)
Oscar
Ruben

diddl Wed 19-Jan-11 08:32:58

Oscar def the best.(imo)

Reuben- nice

Elijah-really dislike.

BikeRunSki Wed 19-Jan-11 08:38:36

Adore Reuben.
Oscar- Lot of 'em about
Elijah - Not really, but I am clearly outnumbered.

LaTristesse Wed 19-Jan-11 08:44:12

Oscar - lovely, but popular
Reuben - I like, nn Ben maybe?
Elijah - I like Eli, but not so keen on the full length name...

NewImprovedJollster Wed 19-Jan-11 08:53:36

All nice, prob Elijah the most different. (Trying to work out more than one way to pronounce this tummy, how do you do a soft j? [dullard emoticon])

Bunnyjo Wed 19-Jan-11 09:05:26

Oohh, thanks so far everyone. Will show this to DH.

We were wondering whether to spell Ruben with an 'eu' instead, as that is more traditional and it seems that could be the way to go if we do choose that name.

NewImprovedJollster - Elijah would be with a soft 'j' as in how the French say Jean or Jour etc rather than a hard 'j' as in Jam or Jolly etc.

Bunnyjo Wed 19-Jan-11 09:13:44

And Tummytickler, if we go with R(e)uben, we will definitely do it in your family's honour grin

PlanetLizard Wed 19-Jan-11 09:14:52

Oscar - don't like
Ruben - OK but would spell Reuben
Elijah - love this

NewImprovedJollster Wed 19-Jan-11 09:18:18

ah got it, thanks.

would never think of pronouncing Elijah with a soft j. And would presume anyone who did to be a bit odd/pretentious or French hmm.

Bunnyjo Wed 19-Jan-11 09:30:30

Funnily enough DH and I disagreed on this - I pronounced with a hard 'j' and he pronounced with a soft 'j', I came round to his way of thinking, probably because I am the more pretentious one in our marriage grin. I think you're right though, it would be pronounced both ways by people and would probably annoy both DH and I - we both have names that are mispronounced all the time and I find that insanely annoying, despite both our names being rather normal and definitely not unusual confused

PlanetLizard Wed 19-Jan-11 09:40:24

Agree with NewImprovedJollster. I've never heard of using a soft j for Elijah. I've heard the name many times in various English churches and it's always been a hard j.

sophiesmummie Wed 19-Jan-11 13:26:56

Really dislike Oscar (and Os/Ossie). Ruben is ok, a little dull, but I love Elijah!

MaElsie Wed 19-Jan-11 16:23:34

Actually, in the Hebrew, Elijah doesn't have a J in at all - it's a Y (El-i-yah). So no English pronunciation is correct. Just thought I'd mention it.

Really really love the name Elijah, but had a girl first time round so couldn't use it. Someone called Elijah would have to be tall, broad, handsome and with a deep voice - how could it be any other way?!

Reuben is great too, but Ruben seems an unusual way to spell it if you're English. Oscar I could take or leave.

Other ideas... Malachi, Jonah, Gabriel

fel1x Wed 19-Jan-11 18:22:16

I've ONLY heard the name Elijah used with a 'soft' J!
I liked the name but hearing that the hard J is most used has put me off!

Eglu Wed 19-Jan-11 18:23:29

Elijah is the nicest by far.

muminthemiddle Wed 19-Jan-11 20:44:08

I like Ruben the best.

brillopads Wed 19-Jan-11 20:49:21

Another hand up for Reuben.

sarken Wed 19-Jan-11 21:09:36

Oscar - I know 2 cats called Oscar (sorry)

Ruben - lovely name

Elijah - love Elijah & Eli

Bunnyjo Wed 19-Jan-11 23:26:48

Thanks everyone...

Seems like a pretty even split at the moment, maybe Oscar at the bottom (which is DD's favourite), with Reuben and Elijah not far ahead. Had to laugh when I saw your post sarken, when I mentioned we were thinking of Oscar to my mum she replied with 'Oscar is a flipping cats name not a boys name!' grin

I am leaning towards Reuben and DH is leaning towards Elijah. With DD preferring Oscar, it looks like we still have some bickering talking to do...

Bunnyjo Wed 19-Jan-11 23:28:36

Oh and I think we will definitely spell it Reuben as opposed to Ruben, when, if I get my way if we chose this name

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: