Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

miki for a girl?

(18 Posts)
BreakfastClub Sat 15-Jan-11 02:04:31

would like to use dads name - Michael
So Miki would be short for Michaela

Dreya Sat 15-Jan-11 03:49:44

I met a girl called Miki (not sure of how she spelt it) at a childrens birthday party recently. She's 13. I did ask if it was short for anything and she said it wasn't but everyone asked her that. I like it and it suited her too. I have a friend called Michaela but she gets called Kayla not Miki. Nice name and lovely idea to use your Dads name.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 15-Jan-11 05:26:12

Michaela is lovely but there's got to be a better spelling than Miki out there. That's shocking.

onimolap Sat 15-Jan-11 05:57:07

Fine as a nn! I think I'd spell it Mikki (which follows the pattern of how my friend spells Nikki).

tebbles Sat 15-Jan-11 13:28:56

I would think it was pronunced Mee-kee (sounds japanese?)

annasophia Sat 15-Jan-11 13:34:05

I think it's a cute nickname for Michaela. And Michaela is a lovely underused name these days - great choice.

lilly13 Sat 15-Jan-11 13:45:08

that's lovely!

Rhubarbgarden Sat 15-Jan-11 15:38:08

Mouse
Metal
Oh Mickey you're so fine you blow my mind...

None of these are good associations, sorry, although your reasoning is lovely.

SarahScot Sat 15-Jan-11 20:21:45

I like it.

PlanetLizard Sat 15-Jan-11 22:19:56

Michaela is OK, but Miki sounds masculine even if it has a feminine spelling. How about Mica?

BreakfastClub Sun 16-Jan-11 01:00:56

I prob would have the urge to sing that Hey mickey song myself - it's cute

Are there any Better spellings out there?

blinks Sun 16-Jan-11 01:03:21

prefer mischa or mica

me no likey miki at all... very mickey mouse

DooinMeCleanin Sun 16-Jan-11 01:09:00

I am Micci as a NN. My dad gave it me after the Hey Mickey song.

My name begins Mic which is why I use Micci and Mick/y seems a bit masculine to me.

I like it. But I hated being known as Mic/Mick or Micky/Micci as a child and always used my full name.

I now refer to msyelf as Micci/Mic and really like it.

Sossiges Sun 16-Jan-11 01:09:48

Knee-jerk reaction - urgh, followed swiftly by she's joking right? Michaela is very nice, though. Maybe you'll find a good nickname like Weeble or Tonto...anything rather than Miki

AddictedToRadley Sun 16-Jan-11 01:21:00

I was at school with twin Chinese girls called Me (yes really - got me into a lot of trouble when the teacher asked "Who drew on the table?!" and I replied "It was Me, miss"!!!) and Miki.
They're both very traditional oriental names.
If I saw the name Miki I would always pronounce it Me-Key, whereas Mikki would be Mickey. I guess it depends if your bothered about your dd having to correct people all the time or not.
Maybe it's just me but Miki wouldn't ever be pronounced Mickey.

Sarsaparilllla Sun 16-Jan-11 02:19:55

I like Michaela, very pretty. Miki as a nn is cute, and she can always shorten it differently, or not at all, when she's older

LadyWellian Sun 16-Jan-11 02:25:17

There was a band in the late 80s/early 90s called Lush that had a singer called Miki. She was gorgeous. Can't remember her surname but have a feeling it was something Eastern European.

I think it's a nice name. TBH not sure about Michaela though I respect your reasons.

mathanxiety Sun 16-Jan-11 22:21:04

Couldn't you use Michelle? It's the feminine version of the French name Michel (Michael).

So much nicer than Michaela imo. So is Shelley.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: