Talk

Advanced search

Do you love your DC's middle names ...?

(21 Posts)
treecloud Wed 12-Jan-11 11:24:25

... or were they just fillers that you quite liked as you couldn't think of anything else or wanted to save other names you loved for future DCs etc?

Milngavie Wed 12-Jan-11 11:26:01

All our DC's middle names mean something to us.

DS1 has my maiden name
DS2 has his great grandfathers name
DS3 has his grandfathers middle names
DS4 has the name of a family friend who was like a grandfather to me.

tummytickler Wed 12-Jan-11 11:29:48

No, I don't love them all, but they mean something to us. DC's have two middle names (and a double-barrelled surname - lucky things grin ).
One is a name we loved, and the other is family names, apart from dd1 who has a family first name, and ds2 who has my Dads name as a mn, and the name of my deceased best friend.
I would never just use a filler, always a family name or something I loved but could not use for a first name.

EauRouge Wed 12-Jan-11 11:35:25

Yes, I do. DD has 2 middle names, one after my mother and the other after DH's Grandmother. The second is a very unusual Ukrainian name that I'd never heard before.

DC2 will also have 2 middle names, one from each side of the family.

Pinkjenny Wed 12-Jan-11 11:36:12

Dd has a middle name which I now despise. Ds' middle name is my Grandad's name, so that's lovely.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Jan-11 11:37:18

We loved the middle names on their own as well as with the first names.

Ds has same middle name as DP (we loved it but couldn't use it as another one in the close family).

Dd - just loved both names and went well together.

Tuschinski Wed 12-Jan-11 11:37:31

No, don't even like them. DD had my MILs name and Ds then automatically got my Dad's, never really gave them a second thought.

flopsy1974 Wed 12-Jan-11 11:42:36

Yes. I didn't pick family names for this reason. I would quite happily have all my kids middle names as a first name.

Tillyscoutsmum Wed 12-Jan-11 11:46:34

I love dd's middle name

DS has 2 middle names. One which was a bit of a "filler" and I'm a bit meh about. The other is one DH picked and was put in at the last minute. I was really unsure about it (its after a sporting hero of DH's so thought it might be a bit naff) but I actually really like it now. I sort of wish we'd just had that and not the other one

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 12-Jan-11 11:54:46

DD wasn't supposed to have any middle names. She ended up with two. A sort of filler and my maiden name. She was born in the middle east where you have 12+ names. The registrar kept asking me for more. DH was quite surprised to find out.

ariane5 Wed 12-Jan-11 11:57:58

both my dd have middle names after family members but ds middle name was the very unusual name that i wanted to be his first name and couldnt have as everybodys reaction to it was either shock that i would consider calling my child it or they just laughed (or thought i was having a breakdown) but i loved it and still do and feel like i should have stuck with it but never mind!

TheGashlycrumbTinies Wed 12-Jan-11 12:00:35

Our DD's middle names mean something to us, and are after family members.
They each have 2 middle names one from my side and on from DH's side of the family.

Partyof52010 Wed 12-Jan-11 12:02:29

All our DC's middle names are after special people in our lives except for one which I shall explain, and they all have 2.

DD- Female version of my Grandads name, then my Mums name

DS1- Elias (middle name of Walt Disney. DH worked for the company for many years and is animation mad. I drew (ha!) the line at Walt or mickey) and then Fil name

DS2- B-in-laws first name and my dads first name.

Only regret is that I never had another girl so I couldn't use my Grandmas name.

Also, all 3 have unusual christian names, so the middle names are all fairly conventional so if they grow up to hate being different, they can use one of their middle names instead.

pipkin35 Wed 12-Jan-11 12:06:53

Ooh, I love 'em.
DS middle name was the one I sort of wanted as a main name but was deemed too popular - top of lists, everyone around us called boys that etc...and then actually, you know what it's like - his name IS him, he's not his midle name. His main name has a meaning which is actually really important to me, too.His middle name has the added benefit of being his grandads (my OH's dad) name, so all grand.

As for DD - her middle name is my best mates name. She was so touched.

devonsmummy Wed 12-Jan-11 13:22:52

Ds has hin grandads middle ñame - nice and sensible incase he dislikes his slightly unusual first ñame.
DSs middle ñame is Cerys - for my mum Ceri and a dear friend who took her life while i was pregnant with Ds ( she was ñamed after my mum)
I Love thAt they have a especial significance

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 12-Jan-11 13:23:42

I love DD's middle names. One is the name we really wanted to call her but couldn't and the other is my mother's name.

BornToFolk Wed 12-Jan-11 13:25:15

Yes I really do! DS was either going to be Name1 Name2 or Name2 Name1 (both just names that we really liked, no family connection or anything). When he was born we decided he looked like a Name1 so used that and I'm glad we did as I still really like it.

I'm a bit peeved that we didn't use a filler middle name though as I like his middle name so much I'd like to use it for any future DSs!

DastardlyandSmugly Wed 12-Jan-11 13:37:25

DS's middle name is DH's father's nickname and the name of both his grandad's favourite footballer (from the 1930s). It's very unusual so he may hate us for it when he's older.

DD's middle name is my mum's name. She died almost 20 years to the day that DD was born.

cocoachannel Wed 12-Jan-11 13:39:41

We're planning on using my God-daughter's name as our DD's middle name, as sadly my God-daughter died last year aged 6. It's definitely not a name I would chose ordinarily but I don't hate it by any means. DH doesn't like it at all, however, but the namesake was very special to us both and for that reason we love really want to use it (if that makes sense...!).

GooseyLoosey Wed 12-Jan-11 13:43:45

Ds has grandfather's name and dad's middle name. Love it.

Didn't like any of the girl's names but she was born on Tues and "tues child is full of grace" so grace it is.

mathanxiety Wed 12-Jan-11 15:48:40

Went with family names I loved for all of them, first and middle, so there are no fillers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now