Talk

Advanced search

Aiden

(19 Posts)
Clueless79 Mon 10-Jan-11 19:55:44

In a quandary over names since finding out we're having a boy! Haven't got a single one we love - would love your help and opinions!I tried out Oscar a couple of hours ago and even since then have gone off it a bit - what about Aiden? Any associations with this name? Is it popular? Is it awful???

Thanks!

ShoppingDays Mon 10-Jan-11 20:36:56

I really like it. Lovely classic name

nowwearefour Mon 10-Jan-11 20:38:39

i know an Aiden born recently. i was surprised by it when i first heard it (not too common now) and makes me think of SATC but not in a bad way. I like it.

ShoppingDays Mon 10-Jan-11 20:41:37

Prefer the spelling Aidan though, which seems to be the older spelling and Aiden is a variation.

ShoppingDays Mon 10-Jan-11 20:42:11

Associations.... it's a saint's name.

Clueless79 Mon 10-Jan-11 20:43:10

I am still liking it almost an hour on...doing well! Have had a blank mind since the scan - really pleased with a boy apart from the name issue and the fact that some boy toys are hideous - Ben10, what is that about?? But then couldn't face a sea of pink girly plastic princess stuff either!

Dare I even ask this...is Aiden even remotely...chavvy...? (ok so I'm discovering I'm a name snob)

Clueless79 Mon 10-Jan-11 20:45:06

Ooh Aidan. Yes that's better.

spiderlight Mon 10-Jan-11 22:10:53

I really like it but would also spell it Aidan. It means 'little fire' and part of me wishes I'd used it for my sparky little redheaad!

onimolap Mon 10-Jan-11 22:18:08

I'd spell it Aidan.

He was an Anglo-Saxon saint in the North East

Tuschinski Tue 11-Jan-11 13:13:43

I live in Ireland and I'd imagine it has very different associations here than in the UK. Here I would think of it as a very '70's name, I know a lot of 30somethings called it, wouldn't be in any way trendy and certainly not chavvy.

5DollarShake Tue 11-Jan-11 14:22:59

I'm married to a 30-something Irish Aiden. grin

sophiesmummie Tue 11-Jan-11 14:39:29

I like Aiden.

Clueless79 Tue 11-Jan-11 18:27:23

Tuschinski - talk to me about how it would be thought of in Ireland please? My mum is against this name and her opinions on names will be based on similar thoughts - and we all know that Mum being anti a name can be a real deal breaker!confused

racmac Tue 11-Jan-11 18:50:43

I have an Aidan - its lovely name smile

My dhs family irish and they like it too

I do spend the whole time telling people its AN and not EN but apart from that i love it grin

Minione Tue 11-Jan-11 20:30:33

My DH is Irish and we named our son who was sadly born sleeping Malachy Aidan after his friend who died tragically as teenager. Its not a name I'd considered before but now think it is lovely.

rach78rach Wed 12-Jan-11 09:47:14

i have a 14 year old son named this,altho i spelt it Aidain.... hes the only 1 i knw n loves his name xx

Edmundo Wed 12-Jan-11 10:03:19

It's nice but spelt Aidan.

A lot of people say they don't like it becasue of Jayden but it's a completely different name. It's like saying that Jayden is like James.

FindingStuffToChuckOut Wed 12-Jan-11 10:04:39

Aidan is a great name & if they got the sex wrong you can spell it backwards & call the girl Nadia

Tuschinski Wed 12-Jan-11 11:17:09

In Ireland (well IMHO anyway) I would consider it be to be just a bog standard name, nothing at all wrong with it, quite nice actually, but a bit ordinary IYKWIM, like Paul or Mark or David, a name your brother has. It's the name of the accountant where I work which doesn't help it though I do think it is coming back into fashion a little due to SATC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now