Talk

Advanced search

Oscar?

(12 Posts)
Clueless79 Mon 10-Jan-11 18:15:16

What do you think? Is this popular/over used? I'm not really in the loop with young children. Also does it conjure up 'the grouch' or the film awards to readily?? We've just found out we're having a boy and have no clear ideas about what to call him so any other similar suggestions would be most welcome - something slightly unusual but not something that would attract constant comments or attention. Thanks!

mopsyflopsy Mon 10-Jan-11 18:17:54

Too overused for me. It may start to feel dated soon. I'd go for something more timeless and classic.

TubbyDuffs Mon 10-Jan-11 18:19:18

I know two Oscars (one is about 4 years old and the other is 12 months). I think it is a lovely name and no I don't think it is over used.

pinkmagic1 Mon 10-Jan-11 18:19:19

I think it sounds like a dogs name-sorry.

sowhatis Mon 10-Jan-11 18:22:42

my 6yo is Oscar, and it was v unusual back then. have heard alot more being used now.

and no re the grouch and the oscars!

rachel1970 Mon 10-Jan-11 18:28:59

I don't like it, think it is too 'trendy' these days. Also don't like the nicknames Oz, Ozzie etc.

Hadn't thought about the awards, actually.

lilly13 Mon 10-Jan-11 18:45:38

I think it depends on where you live. It is very rare in the USA and most parts of Europe. I love it! If I was of Anglo-Saxon origin, I would name my baby this!

ShoppingDays Mon 10-Jan-11 18:53:09

Not keen personally.

Hedwig3 Mon 10-Jan-11 19:01:36

I like it, I know two aged 5 and 2.

Clueless79 Mon 10-Jan-11 19:52:00

Thanks folks! Not convinced with any name at the moment - going to try out a thread with Aiden for reactions, just come across this name in a book but want to hear others' associations etc. Love mumsnet for the instant responses!

BluddyMoFo Mon 10-Jan-11 19:52:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MushG Thu 13-Jan-11 16:05:38

I have a 3 yr old Oscar and I still really love it. We call him Osc for short on occasions. He has an Oscar the grouch puppet which is a bit of fun, I like the fact that a character with a reasonably refined name lives in a bin. It's what persuaded us it wasn't too posh!

Don't worry about what's popular or not just go with what you like. We thought Oscar was really unusual and now we know about 3 others but they're all different to our Oscar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now