Talk

Advanced search

William or Wilfred?

(25 Posts)
boognish Fri 07-Jan-11 19:35:00

My partner and I couldn't really agree on any names for our boy (due Feb) at first, but I loved Will. For me it brings to mind thoughtful intelligent boys with nice hair. We could both tolerate William, and that got to be first preference, but now think Wilfred is good (we like the idea of calling him Wolfie for short).

Two big drawbacks for our fascination with the letter "W": 1. My surname begins with "W', if it all goes horribly wrong...
2. Half my family are Italian. Italians don't have a letter "W" and would have to pronounce his name as "Gwill" or "Gwilfredo" - curses!

Are we being silly?

NadiaWadia Fri 07-Jan-11 19:37:06

Wilfred is a bit little-old-man -ish.

LetThereBeRock Fri 07-Jan-11 19:43:26

Definitely William. I really don't like Wilfred.

Edmundo Fri 07-Jan-11 19:44:07

Wilfred is getting so popular. I know 4 born in the past 18 months. They all go by Wilfie; the new Alfie maybe? I think it will date.
William much more timeless.

ShoppingDays Fri 07-Jan-11 19:55:26

Prefer William to Wilfred. Don't like Wolfie, it sounds like a pet's name.

I think the problem about the letter "W" is significant. Are there any other names you like?

rachel234 Fri 07-Jan-11 20:05:53

Both may well get teased with Willy - this may not bother you, but be aware of it.

Flowerface Fri 07-Jan-11 20:09:25

I love them both. Especially Wilfred.

PorkChopSter Fri 07-Jan-11 20:34:37

I like Wilfred more but couldn't because of the Gw thing & little Willy nicknames.

Gwain perhaps?

Deaddei Fri 07-Jan-11 20:36:13

William-can be shortened to Will.
Wolfie- please no.

mumoftoomany Fri 07-Jan-11 22:40:59

Willy and Will are both unattractive nicknames imo. Can you imagine saying "Will, will you please..." grin.

I like Wolfgang nickname Wolfie.

usualsuspect Fri 07-Jan-11 22:43:15

Wilfred is bloody awful ..wolfie was the leader of the Tooting Popular Front

tammytoby Fri 07-Jan-11 22:49:59

Wilf/Wolfie are much nicer than Will/Willy. To me, Will isn't a name, it is a noun/verb and will be teased with willy - silly schoolchildren cannot resist that one imo.

1973magpie Fri 07-Jan-11 23:13:03

William defintely best - am biased as I have one grin, his NN is Bill though (after Grandad!)

Simmylou Fri 07-Jan-11 23:24:37

My nephew is called William, it's a great name. He is called Will/Wills for short. I don't like Wilfred as much (sounds a bit weak-kneed, sorry).

Wolfie as a nn for Wilfred is a bit of a stretch because Wolfie is short for Wolfgang (great name) and how is Wolfie really any shorter than Wilfred? A Wilfred will likely end up being Will, Wilf or Freddie. Wolfie is an unnatural and (sorry again) slightly twee stretch.

As for your family, weell, Gwilfredo is actually very cute smile it's the sort of thing that makes family history, that they can't say the W sound and make it Gw sound instead (and add an extra "o"!) so I would embrace that difference affectionately.

LittlePushka Fri 07-Jan-11 23:36:10

Love Wilf! Love Wilfy!

Wolfie...nah.

Will/William is timeless classic but not very distinctive,..love Bill though 1973magpie!!

SixtyFootDoll Fri 07-Jan-11 23:45:19

As a mother of a William who is always called Will waht can I say?
Love the name?!

nooka Sat 08-Jan-11 03:23:23

All the Williams I know are called Bill (although my parents had a friend called Willie). You cold use Willoughby, Willis or Willard as alternatives.

Deaddei Sat 08-Jan-11 12:31:57

SixtyFootDoll- me too.
A fine name .

JojoMags Mon 10-Jan-11 21:29:09

I have a Wilfrid. Much prefer the 'id' to the 'ed' spelling. He is always Wilf. Know a couple of Williams who also get Wilf as a nn and much prefer it to Will.

rachel1970 Mon 10-Jan-11 21:47:50

I prefer Wilf to Will too.
Wilf is a proper name, whereas Will is a noun, a verb and just one letter away from Willy.

LittlePushka Tue 11-Jan-11 01:29:18

Rachel1970, it is also a last Will and testament, whereas the lovely Wilf is ALWAYS short for wilful (in my experiencewink )

CountryDweller Tue 11-Jan-11 01:34:25

Same as SixtyFootDoll. I'm a mother of a Will/William.

Will when being good smile

William when being bad sad

flopsy1974 Tue 11-Jan-11 17:52:57

William is a timeless classic name which you can't go far wrong with.

shouldnotbehere Wed 12-Jan-11 11:20:28

William.

sophiesmummie Wed 12-Jan-11 12:10:14

I prefer Wilfred because it gives more nickname options: Wil, Wilf, Fred, Freddie

William is ok but I don't like Will or Willy much. Can you imagine saying "Will, will you..." grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now