Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Do you find boys or girls names easier?

(21 Posts)
ComeAlongPond Thu 06-Jan-11 16:35:42

Just curious really.

I love lots of girls names but only a couple of boys names. I'm not pregnant or anything so to be fair I can't claim to have tried particularly hard to think of boy's names I love; I'm just interested in names and, on here, I think "Oh what a lovely name" far more often for girls than boys names.

tebbles Thu 06-Jan-11 16:59:03

I find boys names much easier. We have a great list of boys names we love and I would be very happy to use any of them.

I am really worried about having a girl as there are no girl names I really love. My DH and I also disagree a lot over girls names, although we had no problem agreeing on boys names. At this stage we have a short list of girls names that we both think are ok but Im not very happy about this, so am still searching for new girls names I love.

Im just hoping we have all boys.

ShowOfHands Thu 06-Jan-11 17:01:42

I used to find boys names easier but that was because I think I saw myself having boys.

I had a girl and now find girls names easier than boys names because I had ample time to ponder it.

chipmonkey Thu 06-Jan-11 18:00:39

I loved loads of girls names but had four boys. I did find it hard to find boys names that I both liked and that I would actually call my son and that dh wouldn't veto! He was actually quite against ds4's name and had to be persuaded.

LittleYellowTeapot Thu 06-Jan-11 18:48:09

I find girls names much much easier. There aren't many boys names I like but my list of girls names is as long as your arm! grin

tuggy Thu 06-Jan-11 18:48:58

I find boys names so much easier!

CuppaTeaJanice Thu 06-Jan-11 18:52:23

Girls are much easier.

Boys names seem to fit into very distinct categories - posh, old man, overused, <whispers>chavvy etc. It's difficult to find a nice boys name that doesn't scream a stereotype at you!

Imarriedafrog Thu 06-Jan-11 19:26:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NewImprovedJollster Thu 06-Jan-11 19:45:14

Girls names.

I have a DS, and would love another. BUT there are many many more girls names that I love than boys. Sort of agree with Janice.

Clunge Thu 06-Jan-11 19:47:11

I have 2 girls and have lots of boy names swimming round my head. Except I don't want anymore kids so I'm going to have to buy a few more male pets and call them my chosen names!

witches Thu 06-Jan-11 20:18:18

I may need to ask you guys to list ur boys names really struggling and convinced im having a boy. Got tons of girls names though, just think boys are very samey and common.

jellybeans Thu 06-Jan-11 20:20:03

Overall found more choice for girls names so found it easier.

NewImprovedJollster Thu 06-Jan-11 20:22:56

witches
IF I'm blessed to have another DS he'll be
Jerome Gregory (Jem) (Gregory is DBro name)
or Benedict Adam (Ned) (Adam DP best mate)
or George Harry (my sis is Georgina, FIL is Harry)

Also like
Finian
Rafferty
Malachy
Joseph
Donovan

PaisleyLeaf Thu 06-Jan-11 20:24:47

About the same - but found it harder to agree on boys names with DH.

ComeAlongPond Thu 06-Jan-11 21:38:45

I love Rafferty too, Jollster It's one of the (many!) boys names that I like but don't think I could use for one reason or another. That's the problem that I don't have with girls names!

NewImprovedJollster Thu 06-Jan-11 21:43:53

ComeAlongPond - have the same problem. The other names I mention don't work with surname (boo) but I actually like more IYKWIM; e.g. not massively wild about Benedict as a name, but it means blessing and after 3 MMCs if I'm lucky enough to have another child it WILL be a blessing, and Ned is a NN I like (despite the negative connotations in Scotland).

fizzpops Sat 08-Jan-11 15:00:10

I love loads of boys' and girls' names - the problems start when DH have to agree.

We already have a DD and are trying for another child and I have in mind a boy's name but not so sure for girls - maybe because I think two girls should have names that balance each other whereas nice boys names are of a different nature to nice girls names. I prefer classic boys' names (for a child of mine at least) but I feel girls' names can bear being a bit less traditional.

wishingforcrystalball Sat 08-Jan-11 20:01:31

Did not know sex of child in pregnancy - when pregnant with girl only had girls names, no sensible boys names at all.
when pregnant with boy only had boys names no sensible girls names at all.
now no longer having more children no names at all that I want.

wishingforcrystalball Sat 08-Jan-11 20:03:04

As an aside though - and I'm sure due to going to all girls school.

There are girls names that I hear and think ooh that child will be a bitch/snobby/wimp etc, and don't have that word association with boys names.

JojoMags Mon 10-Jan-11 21:31:10

Find girls so much easier. Unfortunately have had three boys confused

BadRoly Mon 10-Jan-11 21:35:36

Girls names were much easier - struggled for the full 20weeks of knowing ds1 was a boy and even then was suprised at what dh chose :D

ds2 we made up a name as we couldn't agree on anything.

Both girls had names chosen and agreed upon very very early before we knew they were girls.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: