Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Steffan/ Stefan

(9 Posts)
NeverlandOfFun Wed 05-Jan-11 20:23:08

I have always loved this name. What does mumsnet think?

DH seems to like it too.

Had some comments though about it being a 'gay man's name' hmm. Not a negative thing but just a rather odd and unhelpful comment from my MIL. Not quite sure I understand unless it's maybe because it sounds a bit like stephanie?

Is it nice or is it just me?!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 05-Jan-11 20:24:50

Its nice enough with one f - looks a bit odd with ff IMO.

pitterpatterfeet Wed 05-Jan-11 21:22:19

Stephen classier IMVHO

Janoschi Wed 05-Jan-11 23:35:31

Steffan is the Welsh spelling. One F would make it Stevan. Stefan is really nice, I like it. It's quite popular in Germany, by the way. I know 3 German ones and one Welsh one, all in their early 30s. Only one of these is actually gay, if that helps your MIL!

ShoppingDays Wed 05-Jan-11 23:48:21

I like Stefan with one f.

PrincessBoo Wed 05-Jan-11 23:49:38

My first boyfriend was called Stefan. I was 12. I am still friends with him, he is lovely. So yes, I like the name

LetThereBeRock Thu 06-Jan-11 00:09:51

It's lovely,and has a much nicer sound than Stephen imho.

NewYearNewKnickersOnMyHead Thu 06-Jan-11 00:12:52

Stefan is my brother's name. one F not two.

NeverlandOfFun Thu 06-Jan-11 14:21:18

I really love it wih either one or 2 Fs, not sure which I prefer. My mother in law I think is programmed to dislike any names we pick. Our ds is called Joseph and when we first introduced her to him and said his name she was hmm and said everyone would associate the name with Christmas and assume he has religious parents. Don't think we could please her!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: