Talk

Advanced search

Good website to find baby names?

(17 Posts)
SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:08:51

Have lost the baby name book we had the last time.

Which websites have people found useful? I don't just want the top 100, but equally don't want 100,000 daft/made up/American names.

Anyone know of a good happy-medium?

NineLadiesDancingThroughLife Sun 02-Jan-11 14:12:34

I used Mumsnet. Lurked on loads of name threads, and read loads of ideas out to DH. DD's name was on someone's list.

Have fun - I love picking baby names blush

bronze Sun 02-Jan-11 14:14:03

nymbler

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:15:29

NineLadiesDancingThroughLife, do you? I hate it, it's completely stressing me out. Perhaps you could pick my DDs name for me? grin

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:16:24

Thanks bronze

SoupDragon Sun 02-Jan-11 14:17:41

You need to ask on MN. You'll get a full range of names from us, just post your requirements!

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 02-Jan-11 14:18:56

Mumsnet. Post the type of names you like, and mumsnetters will give you loads of similar suggestions!!

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:30:00

Okay . . . got slated the other day for my love of the name Marnie (don't slate it again, I will cry, just don't mention it!)

Here goes:

Marnie
Ava
Esme
Edie
Anya
Lily

Be kind smile

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:30:50

Hmm, seems I like names ending in a vowel sound.

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:32:40

Oh, and -

Orla
Maya (but can't use it as best friend just has)

NineLadiesDancingThroughLife Sun 02-Jan-11 14:44:09

Well, I like thinking of them, but picking the right one is hard.

Of your list I like

Marnie - DH vetoed because it sounds 'whiney', but I really like it
Anya - DH's cousin is an Anya, so that got vetoed too
Lily - very sweet but sounds odd with our surname
Orla (on the list for potential future DD, see what I mean?)

I like Marcie too, but a friend has one.

If you like Esme, what do you think of Elsa? I know a couple.

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 14:55:53

NineLadies, you are very kind, glad you like my list. I've taught an unpleasant Elsa so can't like the name. Being a teacher makes it really really hard.

tebbles Sun 02-Jan-11 15:03:55

I also like 'baby name wizard' (sorry dont know how to link so just google it). It is American but the NameVoyager section is great with graphs showing the stats for names from the 1880s through to the present. The blog by Laura Wattenberg on there is also really good at breaking down trends and why people feel drawn towards certain names. Also explains why people choose 'Fin' or 'Ava' thinking that they are quite rare and different and then are surprised to find others with the same name.

tebbles Sun 02-Jan-11 15:14:50

Just looked at that website again and re-found the NameFinder. You search names according to preferred length, syllables, letters etc. As you seem to like shorter names ending with 'e' and 'a', you might find it useful.

NineLadiesDancingThroughLife Sun 02-Jan-11 15:37:06

I know what you mean Sarah. My parents are both teachers, so found naming me and my brother very difficult. It's a shame, because there are so many names that get spoiled!

Nightstar Sun 02-Jan-11 16:59:30

Marley?

Like Bob Marley (Will Smith's daughter on I am Legend was called Marley)

SarahScotChristmasSpirit Sun 02-Jan-11 17:05:54

My sister's dog is called Marley so that's definitely a no-no. I have also known 2 Marley's as pupils, even though I'm sure it's a very unusual name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now