Talk

Advanced search

DH's Boys Names...!

(34 Posts)
Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 14:47:15

After months of trying to get DH to pick boys names, last night I finally got him to go over the baby name stats for England, Wales and Scotland and pick some names..!

Out of 200 names, he picked a whopping 4.. YES 4....shock hmm James, Jamie, Harry and Cameron.

Cameron - Shocked the hell out of me, I've suggested Hamish and it was poopooed..! Not sure if it flows with our surname or if I really like it.

Harry - Very common (i.e over used) but really like it. However my nemesis has a boy called Harry and I'm not sure if I can use it. But do I really care, not like I have any contact with her?? Maybe Henry instead.

James and Jamie - are okay, but I'm looking for something along the lines of.....Lawrence, Charlie or Toby. I really want to be brave and pick...Oscar, Kit, Orlando or Tristan but I think this won't happen as I'll chicken out.. grin

If it helps both DH and I have quite classic names (think of Kings and Queens) We have a 3 syllable surname starting with "M".

Apologizes if you have commented before but with DC due in 8 weeks (eeekk) I'd like some form of short list and we are utterly stuck and the only names we can agree on are Jamie or Hugh.

Any suggestions would be brilliant, good or bad. Thank you.

Happy New Year smile

cameli Thu 30-Dec-10 14:52:22

I have a Cameron Elias so am very biased about that name

Harry was the name my DP chose suggested a few weeks ago before we found out its a girl.....I do like it but it is quite common i believe as is James.

Not sure about Jamie - reminds me of the cartoon Jamie & the Magic Torch

Hugh is lovely and would be my choice after Cameron of course.

PuppyMonkey Thu 30-Dec-10 14:52:44

Don't do Cameron - not now.

The others are all okay, if slightly dull.

rabbitheart Thu 30-Dec-10 14:53:45

My son is called Harry James. Whilst I quite like it, I hate the fact that it's so bloody common. I stupidly let my dp choose the name (I was to choose girl's and he boy's - I thought we were having a girl!) Wish we'd called him Henry, then Harry for short.

I like Charlie, it's cute!

Talking of KIngs, I am a huge fan of Arthur - fab name!

rabbitheart Thu 30-Dec-10 14:54:38

Ooh and Alfred!

rabbitheart Thu 30-Dec-10 14:56:42

ps - my dp chose the name Harry James as it was his Grandfather's. Don't think I'd have let him have it otherwise. Oh what a boring name it is! Ha! Luckily my surname is crazy and easturn european, so it makes up for it.

onimolap Thu 30-Dec-10 15:01:05

I've thought of Cameron as a girls' name since "Rivals", and reinforced by Diaz.

James and Harry are both lovely names; despite being frequently used - they're classics and will survive.

What about Richard, Rupert, Marcus, Alexander, Ferdinand?

ginhag Thu 30-Dec-10 15:03:12

2 names you can agree on is actually quite good

IME it's unlikely DH/DP will come up with the names you 'want' them to... but if you both list whichever ones you think of that you like hopefully you will find yourselves agreeing with each other occasionally, even if only one of you thought up the name...

I don't think DP has come up with any names (apart from a few comedy contributions) but each one I've thought of has had a no/yes/maybe from him (mostly nos tbh...)

Also due in 8 weeks, and am chuffed to have 2 names, until a few days ago we were stuck with just 1....

With DS our shortlist was one name as well....

Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 15:03:23

PuppyMonkey What do you mean ' don't do Cameron - not now'..?

Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 15:04:31

Ohhh as in David Cameron...??

My family is from Scotland so didn't really think about that. I went to school was plenty of Cameron's.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 15:07:45

Wouldn't use Cameron now.

Harry and Henry are both lovely and I really don't know that many.

James is lovely but not Jamie.

Oscar is very popular, know more Oscars than I do Harrys or Henrys.

Kit and Orlando are ok. Why not choose Christopher and just call hin Kit?

Tristan has been rather ruined for me by a little snotbag boy at playgroup.

Hugh is nice too.

Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 15:07:57

GinHag are you longing for a gin??? I know I am..grin wink I've been told it helps bring on baby, someone suggested having a gin a day the week you're baby is due....!!!!

Love Hugh but it's my brother's name...!!!

PuppyMonkey Thu 30-Dec-10 15:08:14

Yes that's what I meant! Unfortunate really as that's the best name on your list IMHO.

Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 15:13:20

JuilterJonhsJuile Can't stand the name Christopher....ruined by a tosser prat of a young man!

I'm Scottish and don't really think Cameron that bad in my eyes..but now it's been mentioned I'm not sure I can shift it...! Bugger confused

5inthebed Thu 30-Dec-10 15:22:13

I have a Harry James as well grin

DH chose Harry though and James was after dad who died the week after I found out I was pregnant with DS3.

I am yet to meet another Harry under 5 where I live. Most boys are called Alfie, Jack, Liam or Owen.

Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 15:24:47

Me again...!

Just checked Cameron was 11th out of 100 in Scotland within the last year, so for me it's back on...
It's not like DH has suggested going the full hog and calling DC David Cameron...hahaha

RueLaChesty Thu 30-Dec-10 15:32:20

How about Harrison and shorten to Harry?

What about Seamus (Shay-mus) instead of James? Or what about Shay?

Just thinking (writing) aloud

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 15:50:15

Personally I prefer Henry shortened to Harry or just plain Harry or Henry. For some reason I'm not keen on Harrison, but again that's JMO.

Highlandgirl Thu 30-Dec-10 16:25:34

Thank you RueLaChesty...Neither DH or I are keen on Harrison..it's a surname (she say's..having suggested Cameron...blush)

Seamus..Oh the jokes...poor wee chap.

CharlieBoo Thu 30-Dec-10 17:07:45

Love Harry only know 2 and it won't date...

Don't like Cameron, Kit or Jamie but love James also, timeless classic

NineLadiesDancingThroughLife Thu 30-Dec-10 18:29:47

I love Hugh, Henry and Oscar - in fact they were on our shortlist too. We'll keep them for next time as we had a girl.

Know quite a few Harrys. I quite like Cameron though.

If you like Hamish, do you like Fraser?

If you've got two you agree on, you're in a better position than we were 8 weeks before DD was born. If it helps (and it probably doesn't), even if you have 5 names that you don't feel are The One now, one of them will be it when you finally see the baby for the first time. It worked for us anyway... blush

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 18:57:18

Oh forgot you had mentioned Hamish. Hamish is fab!

mathanxiety Thu 30-Dec-10 19:05:21

Hugh is really nice and if you are in agreement on it I would choose this one.

James and Hamish are basically the same name.

Jamie is too nicknamey for my taste.

Cameron is not too bad.

Suggest:
Alastair
Alexander
Alec

BelligerentYhoULE Thu 30-Dec-10 19:08:23

I like Tristan, Christopher/Kit, Laurence and Toby. Cameron not bad but probably not the best timing for it. James is lovely but I don't like Jamie. Not fond of Harry or Hamish.

cece Thu 30-Dec-10 19:32:29

Cameron means crooked nose so that would be a no from me.

James - OK but as a teacher they are usually naughty! LOL

Jamie - don't like this at all, not very manly sounding to me, prefer it for a girl

Harry - Oh my, another 'naughty' name! and very popular around here.

Lawrence - it could grow on me

Charlie - there are hundreds of them around here, so NO!

Toby - bit of a labrador name

Orlando - NO!

Tristan - ex bf name so no!

Oscar - again very popular

Kit - bit American for me

BTW I love Hugh - go for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now