Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Frederick/ Anyone with a Frederick?

(8 Posts)
horsechesnut Wed 29-Dec-10 23:06:32

We love the name Frederick and it's nns and was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Specifically, I was wondering if the full version of the name - rather than nns - is a bit too stuffy and old man-ish in a way that, say, the full versions of James, William, Thomas aren't.

If you have a Frederick, do you use the full version much or mainly the nns?

Thanks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 30-Dec-10 15:52:26

Don't have a Frederick as it really wouldn't go with our last name but would loved to have used it.

Frederick doesn't sound stuffy to me, more of a name that will last him throughout his life. Can't really imagine a Freddie being taking seriously in his career.

It is a lovely name, congratulations and just go with the name you love.

Nightstar Thu 30-Dec-10 15:55:52

My Dad is Frederick. He was Freddie as a boy, and is Fred as an adult. It's a great name because it can be shortened or lenthened depending on occasion. He uses his full name in formal situations. I like it and wanted to use it but we have 3 Dads between us and decided to avoid using the names because it would upset one of the others to be missed out.

Lonnie Thu 30-Dec-10 20:59:41

My best friends has a Frederick but she lives in Denmark where it is a VERY traditional name (last 20 kings 9 of them have been named Frederick - of th eother 10 have been Christian and 1 Hans)

mand26 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:18:14

My sister has a boy called William Frederick. Lovely name. My son is James. Tough call!

Clary Fri 31-Dec-10 12:46:07

I know a few Freddies; some are Frederick but most if not all are known as Freddie.

I like the name tho grin (despite preferring full names to nicknames).

You could call yr child Frederick if you liked; sounds fine.

Prinpo Fri 31-Dec-10 13:23:55

I love Frederick and, to me, it's important to have the full name on bc. Would use Fred in everyday life.

ShoppingDays Mon 03-Jan-11 00:35:52

Very nice name. Also like Freddie as nickname (not so keen on Fred).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: