Talk

Advanced search

Whats more popular...Oscar or Finn..?

(18 Posts)
bootus Tue 28-Dec-10 20:53:11

I know both of them are popular at the moment but are the only two boys names DP and I agree on. I'm leaning towards Oscar as have always loved it. Think DP marginally prefers Finn. Middle name either Benamin or Harry. And while you're reading this do you prefer Esme, Phoebe or Seren for a girl....??? grin

ShowOfHands Tue 28-Dec-10 20:56:37

Well Oscar is just Oscar but popular yes. There are Finns, Fins, Fintans, Finbars, Finlays, Finleys, Finnians etc etc. So there are the Finns and then the ones that abbreviate to it. So perhaps seems more ubiquitous.

Esme- pretty but popular and the neverending arguments about how to pronounce and whether it's French or if it should have an accent make me think it's just not worth it

Phoebe- you really like of the moment names! I like it again but it's just too common.

Seren- pretty and I like the meaning.

Lonnie Tue 28-Dec-10 21:16:44

I know more Oscar's than Finn's personally

You have listed 3 of my favourite girls names hard to say what one I like the most. I have a Phoebe love Seren and Esme

KangarooCaught Tue 28-Dec-10 21:22:10

Finn, because of the variants SOH listed. Both are v popular but if you like these names go for it, better than opting for Mingus just because he'll be the only one!

Like Seren a lot & Phoebe.

mummyshreddingnora Tue 28-Dec-10 21:23:34

randomly - I had never really heard of any of either in until the last year! then I named DS oscar, and BiL named their DS Finn!

I have since found out about two aquaintances with new babies - one of each there!

I love phoebe on the girls... not keen on the other two

Maternelle Tue 28-Dec-10 21:30:31

I have a Finn and am expecting DC3 and on the hunt for a girl's name. Seren is beautiful, how do you pronounce it?

tuggy Tue 28-Dec-10 21:42:46

Maternelle, I'd pronounce it as in "ser-uhn"

Maternelle Tue 28-Dec-10 21:57:55

Gorgeous.

sisterbeyond Tue 28-Dec-10 22:52:26

Oscar is more popular.

Even if you add the Finlays together, still less popular than Oscar. ALSO, Oscar is on the rise (massively) whereas Finn has fallen slightly and has done for a few years now. It's reached its peak! ..Can you tell I have a Finn.. wink

CharlieBoo Wed 29-Dec-10 09:29:19

Finn is mega popular where I live in South East...

Don't know any Oscars...

ginhag Wed 29-Dec-10 09:30:09

My friend has 2 boys...Finlay and Oscar!

I know they are both hugely popular at the moment, lots of both in our area, tbh think I have noticed more Finns but haven't actually done a scientific poll so not sure!

Nightstar Wed 29-Dec-10 13:26:37

Feel free to ignore this but I think using a Celtic name like Finn you should have some connection to it. Are you either Scottish or Irish? If yes, then definitely go for that over Oscar, if not then it would be out of place on your child. Just my opinion

Nightstar Wed 29-Dec-10 13:27:52

Esme, Pheobe and Seren are ALL really pretty.

Seren rhymes with Heron

3nearly4 Wed 29-Dec-10 20:34:49

Oscar and Finn/Finlay seems to be a popular combination. I have an Oscar and Finlay too (who is mostly called Fin).

Nightstar we have Celtic roots but I do think I would have chosen it regardless.

In terms of popularity, I hear them both equally, which is not that often to be honest. I seem to hear Noah (my other son) more!

I like all three of your girls names but would probably put them in the order of Phoebe, Esme then Seren.

bootus Wed 29-Dec-10 21:07:18

Thanks muchly for your replies smile.....we have a Sam already so guess we're not super original and tbh even though I knew Oscar and Finn were popular I didnt realise how much until I started looking into them. As for Seren and Phoebe, they were both on our 'names list' a few years ago (though admittedly Esme is a fairly recent addition). Its such a minefield, I dont mind popular but I dont want them to be the same name as half their classmates....

spikydahlia Wed 29-Dec-10 21:18:03

My Nephew is Flynn Oscar.

I am a teacher and I also go to lots of toddler groups I def know less Oscars than Flynn/Finn/Finlay etc

sofaaddict Wed 29-Dec-10 22:01:29

I'm near London and know a lot more Fin/Finns etc than Oscars.
As for the girls, I prefer Seren, think it's beautiful.

3nearly4 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:15:04

Thought I'd add that the Finns I come across are usually older and the Oscars are under 2.
Oscar was not too popular when I chose it, am a bit shocked that's it's risen so fast. Good job I love it too much to care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now