Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Wednesday.....

(27 Posts)
Fortress Mon 13-Dec-10 21:07:39

I've always loved this name but not sure i'd have the nerve if we have a dd...
Anyone called their dd Wednesday?

PaisleyLeaf Mon 13-Dec-10 21:09:50

Are you a big Adams Family fan?

Fortress Mon 13-Dec-10 21:13:58

Not really grin

When I was growing up a good friend of mine had a little sister called Wednesday she was such a lovely little girl..... And her name really suited her!
To me it doesn't sound too girly, sounds strong and interesting...

Himalaya Mon 13-Dec-10 21:16:28

I love it. Do you think they have to be born on a Wednesday?

ChoudeBruxelles Mon 13-Dec-10 21:17:47

Thursday, Friday, Saturday ...

Aren't they just days of the week?

meandjoe Mon 13-Dec-10 21:17:51

I actually love it! It is one of those names that everyone will associate with Adams Family at first but after that she will grow into the name and noone will be able to imagine calling her any thing else. I think it's really pretty. Also kids her age won't have heard of Adams Family I wouldnt have thought, not popular nowdays x

Fortress Mon 13-Dec-10 21:20:29

Glad you love it himalaya.

Yes first of all dc3 would need to be a girl (I have 2ds) and she would need to be born on a Wednesday!
If that actually happens I think we'd have to go for it

LittleYellowTeapot Mon 13-Dec-10 21:23:26

I heard of someone who named her daughter Wednesday. When someone pointed out that the baby was actually born on Tuesday the mother replied "Yeah, but I thought of it on Wednesday!" grin

I quite like it, but I don't think I'd use it.

Fortress Mon 13-Dec-10 21:24:18

Thursday and Saturday don't have the same ring for me and Friday well... er Man Friday?! grin

headfairy Mon 13-Dec-10 21:25:45

I have a cousin called Domingo (sunday in Spanish). That's totally not relevant but I thought I'd add it in

Wednesday could be cute in a kooky kind of way. She'd need plaits and have to wear brightly striped tights!

Fortress Mon 13-Dec-10 21:27:57

Littleyellowteapot I met a mum a couple of years ago who introduced me to her baby girl Noel. When I asked her was she born around Christmas she blankly said no. I could not hold back my belly laugh :/

Clary Mon 13-Dec-10 22:34:28

I know a Wednesday. It's not a name I would choose. It's a lot to carry off IMO.

Oddly enough her brothers have very ordinary names (Alex and Matt).

MelinaM Tue 14-Dec-10 00:15:22

Well Sunday is good enough for Nicole kidman's DD, so why the devil not I say! Wednesdaysmile x

JebusBuiltMyCoolSled Tue 14-Dec-10 04:36:38

Love it!

Would never go with my surname though sad

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 05:41:00

I have a friend called Kofi - a lovely name I think - which means Friday in Akan (spoken in Ghana).

You could have Wendy as a NN for Wendnesday.

nooka Tue 14-Dec-10 06:54:30

I think that Wednesday would be a really hard name to carry off, and not the kindest name to bestow on your dd. To start with it's hard to write (an issue for small children, and with no obvious shortening either). I have a work colleague called September and she is happy with that so it's perfectly possible that it might work, but I'd try it out for a day or two yourself before deciding whether it really works as a name.

elvisgirl Tue 14-Dec-10 07:32:07

The girl in the Addams family was called Wednesday from the rhyme about having different characteristics according to the day you were born: "Wednesday's child was full of woe...", so I'd personally avoid it for that reason.

Fortress Tue 14-Dec-10 08:16:01

Thanks for the comments

Was expecting a lot more negative responses, so that's good!

The meaning of ds1 name isn't great but I loved the name too much not to use it.... I don't really get the whole meaning thing... Is it really that important? I don't introduce myself by my name and then meaning straight after.... Just a thought

Fortress Tue 14-Dec-10 08:17:57

Probably have a third ds anyway grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 14-Dec-10 08:32:37

I really like it, I wouldn't shorten it to Wendy though, that's a horrid name.
I was at school with a girl called April. She was born in February but her mum liked the name.

CountBapula Tue 14-Dec-10 08:48:57

I know a woman named Friday. It really suits her. She is a successful lawyer.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 14-Dec-10 09:04:17

I've always secretly loved Wednesday.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Tue 14-Dec-10 09:10:58

I know a Tuesday

Fortress Tue 14-Dec-10 09:30:10

I love April too! Dc3 due in August though.

Augusta? Joke

Fortress Tue 14-Dec-10 09:30:48

For some reason I'm not keen on Tuesday..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: