Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Love the name but it's a nn. What to do?

(60 Posts)
snownutty Fri 10-Dec-10 18:46:10

In a quandary. Have previously argued debated the case that nn's are just that and should not be used on a birth certificate. Eg can't name DD Ellie must be Eleanor with Ellie as nn. (Not the name just an example)

Big debates with DH.

Now love a name which is a nn but hate all the names this could be a nn of. What do I do? Might be a moot point as I'm only 3 months gone but I'm actually worried because if I use it I'll forever be thinking that it's not a proper name.

HELP

activate Fri 10-Dec-10 18:46:45

name it

AllieW Fri 10-Dec-10 18:47:41

What's the nn? It's possible that it could be a nn for another name you haven't considered which you might also love and thereby solve your dilemma.

ShoppingDays Fri 10-Dec-10 18:48:19

I don't like nicknames without a full name, so I'd vote for choosing something else.

Acanthus Fri 10-Dec-10 18:54:37

what is it?

snownutty Fri 10-Dec-10 18:59:40

Don't want judgement of name but you're right Allie. Maybe you can think of something I haven't.

It's Lexi. <cowers from MN judging>

autodidact Fri 10-Dec-10 19:00:23

Spill the name, snownutty!

ShoppingDays Fri 10-Dec-10 19:01:27

I'm guessing you don't like Alexandra. Which others have you ruled out? How about Alexia?

autodidact Fri 10-Dec-10 19:01:54

Oh, you did already!
Well, sorry but I don't like it! However, if I did I would use it and say to hell with all the nay saying nickname haters. hth

DancingThroughLife Fri 10-Dec-10 19:01:56

In the 1930s my Nan and her sister were give NNs as proper names. It's not a new or particularly unusual practice. Come to think of it, my name is technically a nn. I think some, like Katie, Ellie, Millie etc are becoming acceptable as names in their own right.

If that helps at all.

What's the name?

DancingThroughLife Fri 10-Dec-10 19:03:25

x post.

I like Alexis as a proper name for nn Lexi.

AllieW Fri 10-Dec-10 19:04:01

My niece is Lexie short for Alexia. Alexis is another possibility. As is AlexandrIa.

Ragwort Fri 10-Dec-10 19:04:09

I thought that was a 'proper' name.

I wouldn't worry at all - my DC is christened a 'nickname' - same on Birth Certificate, everyone assumes it is short for something else, it isn't - but I am not particularly 'precious' if people want to use the more formal name.

snownutty Fri 10-Dec-10 19:04:36

But I'm one of those nay saying nn haters auto grin

I hate myself!

autodidact Fri 10-Dec-10 19:07:17

Poor you! I know that feeling of being tied in knots by my own ridiculous rules!

said Fri 10-Dec-10 19:07:56

Alexandra is gorgeous though (totally irrelevant) But, I bet all the Sandras in the world aren't called Alexandra

snownutty Fri 10-Dec-10 19:09:11

Bloody principles!

sosomis Fri 10-Dec-10 19:10:29

We very nearly called dd Lexie. It would have been a nn for Alexa though, so see where you're coming from...

ChippingIn Fri 10-Dec-10 19:13:55

I like Lexi - but I'd probably have the same dilemma as you!

I don't like Alexandra, Alexia or Alexis (ot the E equivalents). I just had a google, but the only other one I came up with was Lexington - sounds like an area of New York to me!

How about using Lexi as her official middle name and just calling her that, loads of people do... I know it's not ideal, but it would give her a more formal name for when she wants to use it.

AnonEnormousStuffedBird Fri 10-Dec-10 19:14:27

Personally, I would put a "full name" on the birth certificate, but just always use Lexi for day to day etc etc.

At least then, your DD can choose later on if she wants to revert to a "full name"....

Or you of course have Lexie, or Lexia, which looks like more a full name??

Hard, isn't it!

Teds77 Fri 10-Dec-10 19:17:57

Alexandra
Alexandria
Alexandrina (Queen Victoria's first name I think)
Alexia
Alexa

?? But sounds like you might not like any of them?

Is there a female version of Felix - only other name with a 'x' I can think of.

I usually a full name type but if you like it then just do it.

AllieW Fri 10-Dec-10 19:18:58

Teds, the "female" Felix is Felicity...

minipie Fri 10-Dec-10 19:23:45

Sorry but I do think you need to give her a full name for birth cert purposes, just to give her the choice.

"Lexi" is not going to create a great impression on, say, an application to become a barrister. It's just too cutesy and a little bit showgirl. (I do like the name btw).

Alexa or Alexandra much better for "serious" purposes. Don't you like them? I do.

Alessia is the Italian version, maybe you prefer that? Could still just about have nn Lexi.

snownutty Fri 10-Dec-10 19:25:27

Not sure if I like it but could Felicity be shortened to Lexi? Pretty sure DH would veto anyway but....

Definitely better than the Alexandra/Alexa's

Acanthus Fri 10-Dec-10 19:27:05

I like Alexandra

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: