Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Scottish Boy's Names

(10 Posts)
fallingandlaughing Sun 05-Dec-10 10:10:26

With a mere 7 months til our little one arrives DP and I are negotiating on chatting about names.

We have a girl's name we like, in fact a couple. But we are drawing a blank on boy's names.

DP is quite keen to have a Scottish name (we are Scottish). Doesn't have to be Hamish or anything, just a name which is common to/typical to Scotland. If it is also Hebrew so much the better, but that is not an absolute must.

Suggestions please! If we use your idea I promise to come back and acknowledge it.

SnowMuchToBits Sun 05-Dec-10 10:15:49

Rory
Alistair
Gregor
Euan
Dougal
Douglas
Angus
Fraser
Donald
Callum
Cameron
Iain

TheChewyToffeeMum Sun 05-Dec-10 10:17:46

Andrew
Drew
Alexander
Donal
Finlay
Finn
Fergus
Ruaridh

TheChewyToffeeMum Sun 05-Dec-10 10:19:10

I think If you want Hebrew as well you need to go Biblical - lots of Biblical names are/were common in Scotland esp in the more pious Western Isles.

fallingandlaughing Sun 05-Dec-10 10:27:48

thanks great suggestions.

I like Alexander.
Also Donald but DP not keen on that.

Agree ChewyToffeeMum about maybe going biblical - wanted something which would also reflect the Jewish side of our family but we also have middle name for that.

hambo Sun 05-Dec-10 10:32:30

Nothing wrong with hamish!!

fallingandlaughing Sun 05-Dec-10 10:37:15

I know! Just wanted to express that it doesn't have to be an exclusively Scottish name. Hamish wouldn't work for us as someone else close by has it already.

Northernrose Sun 05-Dec-10 10:56:58

To fit your criteria am thinking:
Hamish/James
Tavish/David
Iain/John

where the first name is the scottish version of the original Hebrew name - both names in each pair are nice.

Others:
Rory,Alexander,Finlay

I agree with Chewy that you would need to go down the Biblical line for names that fit both - but James, David and John are all Biblical. How about Aaron, Joseph, Joel, Jonah?

Northernrose Sun 05-Dec-10 11:11:12

How about Lachlan with a more Biblical/Hebrew middle name? Sorry OP I didn't see your last post or I wouldn't have suggested Hamish again!!

LittleCheesyPineappleOne Sun 05-Dec-10 11:56:18

If you look at baby names for Scotland over the years, the traditional names aren't Gaelic, by and large, but names like James, William, John, David etc - good Scottish pedigree - if you chose (eg) David, Biblical too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: