Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

I'm thinking of changing my baby's name....

(21 Posts)
Mar1a Thu 02-Dec-10 22:01:57

I'm thinking of changing my 16 month old's name from Isabella to Annabelle - she's known as Bella so it wouldn't make a difference on a day to day basis but I have a few reservations:
- Everybody knows her as she is so feel a bit awkward explaining why the name change.
- She's been Christened already and has a passport.
- All of her cards and some gifts resemble her name.
- She may get older and think 'Mum, why did you change my name? I like Isabella!'
- Am I mad?

Should I just do this now while she's young enough to not know the difference? Or should I just leave things as they are?

mylifewithstrangers Thu 02-Dec-10 22:04:07

Why would you want to do this? They are such similar names. I think by 16 months you are going to have to live with it. Especially as you would continue to call her Bella anyway.

nigglewiggle Thu 02-Dec-10 22:07:00

Why do you want to change it? Isabella is a lovely name and if you call her something else anyway, I'd leave well alone.

mopsyflopsy Thu 02-Dec-10 22:14:15

I also cannot see why you'd want to change your dd's name at the age of 16 months. Her name is Isabella and she probably knows this (in addition to having gifts/cards with her name in them), and I think it wouldn't be fair to change her name at this point.

rachel234 Thu 02-Dec-10 22:16:56

16 months is too old to change a child's name imo. The names are very similar anyway.

Mar1a Thu 02-Dec-10 22:17:44

My indecision is why I wanted to post as I think I just needed to 'get it out there' and hear some sense... I keep thinking about her being an adult, in a way I feel that Isabella is a 'youngish' name (Izzy or Bella) whereas Annabelle might mean she can call herself Anne/Annie/Anna/Bella when she's older ... Although, it has has helped to hear your views, so thank you.

Janoschi Thu 02-Dec-10 22:39:29

I'd stick with Isabella. It seems just as adult as Annabella. Sounds like an actress to me!

Chynah Thu 02-Dec-10 22:42:35

she'll probably just continue calling heself Bella whenshes older anyway so would make no difference.

(Izzy is much nicer than Annie imho)

Mar1a Thu 02-Dec-10 23:03:00

Your views have really helped. Honestly; I feel quite relieved actually...

CharlieBoo Fri 03-Dec-10 01:30:05

Ahh, Isablella is lovely, don't change it....

LowLevelWhingeing Fri 03-Dec-10 01:33:45

Isabella is a beautiful name for a grown up woman. Isabella Rossellini for example.

BarbieLovesKen Fri 03-Dec-10 18:10:43

I actually think that Isabella is a much more grown up name than Annabelle. When I hear Annabelle, I think of a little girl, when I hear Isabella, I think either little girl or grown woman.

I love the name Isabella, I think its stunning, elegant and classic. Really beautiful. Annabelle is a lovely name too but I way prefer Isabella.

I really dont think you should change her name at this age also I think you do risk her asking why the hell you changed her name!!!

smile

Hope you feel better, I know what its like to regret a name and its horrible. You really, really shouldnt be regretting this name however..

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 18:12:39

I think Isabella is nicer than Annabelle tbh. regardless of that, I really don't understand why you'd want to do this, sorry.

philly82 Fri 03-Dec-10 19:28:02

Please don't change her name - Isabella is an absolutely beautiful - and I agree with barbie that it is a more grown up sounding name than Annabelle. I think you should stick with what you have and be confident in it - it is beautiful and very versatile

Acanthus Fri 03-Dec-10 19:30:31

Baby Annabelle is the association that her peers would have, presumably, if you changed it. Don't do it!

RockinRobinBird Fri 03-Dec-10 19:34:09

Agree with everyone else. There comes a point when it's not your name anymore and at 16 months, it's her name now. It's a lovely name and the other one is so similar it's not worth getting yourself in a knot over it.

smilingserenely Sun 05-Dec-10 20:21:15

if you're really worried about her being able to use anne/annie /ann as a nickname why not leave it as isabella but add anne /anna as an extra middle name .thus giving her that option and yourself the peace of mind without actually changing her first name

LoopyLoopsOfSparklyFairyLights Sun 05-Dec-10 20:29:04

Totally agree, Isabella is a beautiful, timeless name that she will love forever.

Mar1a Mon 06-Dec-10 13:03:17

I'm not going to change it... You're all making too much sense and it's sunk in. Phew... Thanks for your advice.
Best wishes.

maandpa Tue 07-Dec-10 09:29:44

Oh good Mar1a.

I'm just popping in to say that I think Isabella is a gorgeous name too. Very pretty, feminine and a classic!

strumpet82 Tue 07-Dec-10 09:42:19

I agree, I prefer Isabella, but also I think it's way too far down the line to change her name. The first 6-8 weeks is where in my head i'd be comfortable with changing a name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: