Talk

Advanced search

choosing names!

(11 Posts)
SaintAva Sun 28-Nov-10 19:34:20

Hi,

I'm currently pregnant with DC2, only 3 months at the moment, so a long way to go and a long time to sort out names, but with DD1 we chose a girl's name in about 30 seconds (one I had always loved, and DH's favourite name for middle name) but we couldn't agree on a boy's name really, and had a compromise, luckily we had a girl!

So I'm starting early this time so that we can find a name we love, rather than a compromise one, IYSWIM.

We both like the names Erin, Sophie and Holly for a girl, but can't decide the best combination of the two. And have no ideas at all for boys really!

I would like the new name to go with DD, Ava Victoria, and wondered if I could get opinions on the girls names we like or suggestions for boys names as I am having a total mind blank!

FerminaUrbinoDaza Sun 28-Nov-10 19:49:31

I think all three work well with your DD's name. Holly would be an unusual choice for a spring/summer baby, but that shouldn't necessarily mean you can't use it. I don't think I would though.

Erin Sophia ( I think it needs that extra syllable to work with a short first name, but maybe it's not a variant you like)
Sophie Elizabeth
Holly Sophia

My favourite with Ava is Erin

Sophie Erin runs into one another too much for my liking and Sophie Holly feels a bit odd in the mouth.

Have you tried Nymbler for boys names? It generates names based on the names you like, you can put girls names in and get boys names out. It's quite good.

MelinaM Sun 28-Nov-10 19:54:40

Ava Victoria is just perfect! I like Sophie ..or Sophiagrin x

SaintAva Sun 28-Nov-10 20:06:34

Thank you for your replies, I realised whilst reading them that I had put Sophie, when I meant Sophia!

I will try Nymbler, I haven't heard of that before, will give it a go and see what it suggest.

Thanks smile

ShoppingDays Sun 28-Nov-10 21:34:13

Sophia Holly or Holly Sophia would be nice combinations

Psammead Mon 29-Nov-10 16:51:13

I like Sophia. Not sure it fits perfectly with any of the others though.

SexDrugsAndSausageRolls Mon 29-Nov-10 17:33:24

I know it's not on the list but I like:

Ava Victoria and Ella Sophia

MissMashMissMash Mon 29-Nov-10 17:42:24

Like Erin Sophia. Also Elin Sophia. Quite like Sophia as a first name but I think a shorter name might go better with Ava. Not keen on Holly think it sounds a bit dated. Like Sophia Charlotte.

BlueChampagne Thu 02-Dec-10 12:54:38

Here are some boys' names from our list just to get you started:

Aidan
Conrad
Francis
Laurence
Harvey
Justin
Marcus
Morgan
Lewis

ballstoit Thu 02-Dec-10 21:45:53

I think that Sophia goes nicely with Ava, kind of a classic film star theme?!

In which case, Laurence would also work or perhaps Cary?

SaintAva Fri 03-Dec-10 09:15:18

Thank you for your replies!

I'm really favouring Sophia at the moment for a girl as a first name, it does go well with Ava.

BlueChampagne - thank you for the boy's names, they're great and some that I hadn't thought of before, I still seem to be drawing a complete blank myself when it comes to boy's names, so they are much appreciated!

ballstoit - really liking the name Cary, again one I hadn't even thought of.

I had scan the other day, and there is definitely only baby, so at least only one name to choose, I have been having dreams for weeks and weeks that we are having twins - I can't choose one name, let alone another 2!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now