Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

What do you think of Loic?

(19 Posts)
expectingno3 Wed 24-Nov-10 13:29:12

DH get a bottle of cider out the fridge 'what do you think about Loic?' Its a French make of cider, or the Brewery...
We already have one dd with a french name, though we always use the shortedned version - Delphy. Is it is bit OTT to have two French names if we're not French? So shocked my DH has picked a name I vaugly like, I think I should take advantage of it.

activate Wed 24-Nov-10 13:31:57

it's ugly as a spelling

how would you pronounce it ? Is it Louis? If so why don't you call him Louis her Lois?

and why would you name a child after an alcohol brand?

activate Wed 24-Nov-10 13:32:11

chaardonnay grin

pooka Wed 24-Nov-10 13:33:03

ummm.

Well delphie is a name, rather than a brewery brand/type of cider.

Loic seems a bit of a stretch to me. But if you like it....

alarkaspree Wed 24-Nov-10 13:36:34

I don't think many people in the UK will associate the name with a brand of cider. But they will have no idea how to pronounce it.

Delphy is pretty.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 24-Nov-10 13:47:34

confused I have no problem with naming children after drinks, but would really struggle with this name.
Is it male or female and how is it pronounced? Lo-ik, Lou-ic...........
Keep your DH away from the kitchen, he could suggest Trex or Bovril grin

expectingno3 Wed 24-Nov-10 13:54:18

Its a boys name. I think you pronouce it Low-ick. Hmm, quick replies, I take it thats a no - go then. From what quick research I've done, I think its the Germanic version of Louis, but used in France. I suppose I didn't really think about the fact a child would be named after a brand of cider. Just thought it sounded an ok name.
DH doesn't like Louis. I love Lois - its on my list.
You may laugh, my Dad wanted to name me Domra, after the russian instrument he played in the 60's...

Rockbird Wed 24-Nov-10 13:54:22

Trex has a rather funky sound about it, I think!

expectingno3 Wed 24-Nov-10 13:55:09

What is Trex?

Rockbird Wed 24-Nov-10 14:04:10

Trex

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 24-Nov-10 14:06:45

I would think it rhymed with Oik.

Lowick is a place you know, might that do?

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 24-Nov-10 14:08:06

Like most things it reminds me of Kath and Kim. That's how Kath would 'like' something.

However now I know how it is pronounced and that it's a bona fide name it is growing on me.

expectingno3 Wed 24-Nov-10 14:18:13

I'll ask DH if Lowick is in the running. Sounds like it might cause problems with spelling / pronounciation though.
Oh I love baking - maybe Trex is a goer!! grin

libelulle Wed 24-Nov-10 14:23:01

Loic is a fairly standard french boy's name. Pronounced Law-eek, or thereabouts. Certainly wouldn't have known it was anything to do with cider, don't think many french people would either!

I quite like it myself! Though even though I'm french we decided against a couple of french names for DCs because they didn't work in English, so not sure if I'd go for it personally.

expectingno3 Wed 24-Nov-10 14:33:24

Thanks for that insider (no pun intended) knowledge libelulle. Looks like I had completely the wrong pronounciation. I think its back to the drawing board.

pigindisguise Wed 24-Nov-10 15:31:11

I think it is a Breton name. Although I love it I wouldn't go with it unless I was of French origin

lilly13 Wed 24-Nov-10 22:41:04

sorry i cannot pronouce this name.. think it might be difficult of a lot of people who do not speak french...

Heathcliffscathy Wed 24-Nov-10 22:43:10

loic is a great name but i fear the worst for your son in england with it as it will be mispronounced the whole time.

thesecondcoming Thu 25-Nov-10 00:47:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: