Talk

Advanced search

Andy for a girl

(61 Posts)
NobleAndMostAncient Mon 22-Nov-10 19:24:27

WDYT of the name Andy? It's been my favourite name for a while and I wasn't sure what other people thought of it.

Also what coud it be short for? I'm not keen on Andrea or Andra (sorry). I love Andromeda, but not sure if that's too much for a child.

SausageMonster Mon 22-Nov-10 19:37:19

Save it until you have a boy

stinkypants Mon 22-Nov-10 19:38:28

hmmm... she might not thank you for a boy name unless is a nickname... i quite like andrea pronounced andray-a

nulgirl Mon 22-Nov-10 19:40:42

Not keen unless it is a nickname and I wouldnt personally saddle a child with a name like andromeda unless I owned a 1000 acre estate in Hampshire or a character from a jilly cooper novel. What don't you like about Andrea? I like it if pronounced an-dray-a

PavlovtheCat Mon 22-Nov-10 19:42:35

This is more popular that you realise! There are two in DDs class, in a school of 170! one spelt Andy, the other, Andi.

cupcakebakerer Mon 22-Nov-10 20:08:35

Personally don't like it - reminds me of Andy McDowell (sp) which reminds me of the early 90s. I do like the odd boy's name for a girl - Elliot for example. But - big but - I wouldn't saddle my daughter with it and have her feeling awkward every time a new register was taken etc.

Hulababy Mon 22-Nov-10 20:10:47

I don't like it sorry. Nt keen on masculine type names for girls.

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 22-Nov-10 20:12:38

I know an Andy Jane, nn AJ. I like it. It's cool. smile

strandedatseasonsgreetings Mon 22-Nov-10 20:12:39

I know a man called Andy whose daughter is called...Andy. Do you think he wanted a boy smile?

TheFeministParent Mon 22-Nov-10 20:13:28

If you don't mind constantly having to correct people that mistake her for a boy, or that she will carry on!!

ItsJustMyOpinion Mon 22-Nov-10 20:13:34

Sorry, im not keen either. But if you like masculine type names for a girl, how about Peta?

cat64 Mon 22-Nov-10 20:16:19

Message withdrawn

SpringHeeledJack Mon 22-Nov-10 20:19:41

I'ts never occurred to me but I think it's cute

specially if she had Andromeda for a Long Name. Do it! Do it!

kid Mon 22-Nov-10 20:22:04

I know an Andreana (and-ree-arna), shortened to Andy

Nospringflower Mon 22-Nov-10 20:47:08

What about Adrienne shorted to Andy?

EnnisDelMar Mon 22-Nov-10 21:01:18

Oh gosh please no.

Culturally it's totally ingrained as a male name. She will encounter problems with this if it is her given name, that's guaranteed - so really unfair to do that to her. It'd be like calling her John or Dave.

However, nothing wrong with using it as a nickname but I'd really go with the trad feminine spelling of Andie (like the actress etc) so someone seeing it on paper will not assume she is male.

Andromeda is a great name.

Berk Mon 22-Nov-10 21:08:18

Reminds me of Dawson's Creek=good. The character was v annoying though. But my dd has a name that was popularised by a tv character so I can't complain...I have one of the female names based on the male name 'John' and always hated that it wasn't a nicer meaning or more feminine.

Pandora nn Andy?

letsblowthistacostand Mon 22-Nov-10 22:10:51

My cousin Andrea has always gone by Andi. Think if it's a feminine spelling you're fine!

hulabula Mon 22-Nov-10 22:12:21

Andromeda, Adriana, Antonia, Annette, Pandora and Andrea are all girls' names that could be shortened to Andie. I think Andie is cute for a girl, but only as a nickname.

onimolap Mon 22-Nov-10 22:13:40

I've met an Andie, short for Alexandra.

(I do think Andromeda is a wonderful name, but a tad hard to live with, even if your surname is Malfoy or Tonks).

hulabula Mon 22-Nov-10 22:15:56

Anyone know what Andie McDowells real name is? Or is she just Andie?

Highlandgirl Mon 22-Nov-10 22:31:59

Rosalie Anderson "Andie" MacDowell is her real name.

Andi is better for a girl.

MelinaM Mon 22-Nov-10 23:30:35

I like it, but would choose a more formal name like Andrea and use Andy/Andi as a nn, hope this helps! x

Hedwig3 Tue 23-Nov-10 09:56:17

Fine as nn if you can find a name you like to shorten from.

Lots of girl nn are boy names - Freddy, Alex, Frankie...

busterk Tue 23-Nov-10 11:44:29

My niece is called Andie. It's cute and she is a very girly girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now