Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Arthur

(25 Posts)
stereo Sat 20-Nov-10 14:16:02

We love the name Arthur but are unsure as to how it's viewed and how popular it is.

Is it still regarded as a old man's name which is cute when given to a baby or is it making a comeback in it's own right because it's a nice name?

And how many young Arthur's do you know?

Thnaks for you help!

theagedparent Sat 20-Nov-10 14:18:08

I know 3 and only live in a small town. I like it especially nn Arty

usualsuspect Sat 20-Nov-10 14:18:20

Personally I think its an old mans name and awful for a baby..but if you like it use it

LadyCad Sat 20-Nov-10 14:19:36

Lovely name smile

I know just one.

ZZZenAgain Sat 20-Nov-10 14:20:20

have a BIL called Arthur who is in his 30s and I don't know any others.

LilRedWG Sat 20-Nov-10 14:23:17

We really like it too. My neice yesterday told me that if we name this baby Arthur we will be setting him up for a lifetime of misery - nice of her I thought.

Still our favourite.

traceybath Sat 20-Nov-10 14:23:45

My DS2 who is 2 is Arthur. Its not massively over-used but I think lovely.

Have had lots of positive comments on it in RL.

Oh and I know one other Arthur.

stereo Sat 20-Nov-10 14:29:31

LilRed, not a helpful comment by your SIL! Arthur is a lovely name - no reason for your DS to be teased.

Traceybath, do you mind if I ask what your DS is called - just trying to work out what kind of names work well with Arthur - no probs if you don't want to tell though!

mopsyflopsy Sat 20-Nov-10 14:35:13

I know one Arthur whose brother is called Quentin. Seems like these 'old fashioned' names are becoming more trendy.

rachel1970 Sat 20-Nov-10 14:48:13

Yes, becoming more fashionable. I don't like the sound of Arthur much to be honest and it doesn't travel well into other languages (due to the 'th' sound).

omaoma Sat 20-Nov-10 14:51:10

love it! he could always be Artie for short

traceybath Sat 20-Nov-10 15:19:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PGWomble Sat 20-Nov-10 15:31:21

Very popular according to my Mum who is a nursery school teacher in Hampshire. Three in a class of 22 this year.

Thissideofchannel Sat 20-Nov-10 15:33:56

Yes, old men names like Arthur, Stanley, Quentin, Hugo are definately becoming more popular.

I like Arthur but am not keen on Art/Artie (could lead to teasing along the lines of Artie Fartie etc)

MuffinMouse Sat 20-Nov-10 16:04:36

Iknow one (4) and his sister Grace. Love the name Grace. Did like Arthur but less keen now. But thats just me. Dont think it's seen as oldmanish though.

RobynLou Sat 20-Nov-10 16:08:03

I like arthur, just be aware that he'll probably be called 'arfa' a lot, I have a martha who's often called 'marfa'.....

DinahRod Sat 20-Nov-10 16:09:21

Love Arthur & Arty. Keen on Albert/Albie too

Greenwing Sat 20-Nov-10 16:10:26

Arthur is the name of PM David Cameron's son. Despite that, I love it! How wonderful to grow up with the stories of great King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table!

BalloonSlayer Sat 20-Nov-10 16:14:44

I love it! I couldn't use it for DCs though as I had used it for my cat. confused

I did find myself, when disappointed if he had brought in a mouse, saying "Oh Arthur" in a very Pauline Fowler-ish way though.

I knew someone whose husband was called Arthur (he was in his 30s). He hated it, and she wasn't allowed to call out his name in public as he was so embarrassed about it. I was shock at that as I think it's a lovely name!

Greythorne Sat 20-Nov-10 17:02:02

I know 2 small boys called Arthur.

I like it, but I do find it has Pauline Fowler overtones, like a PP said. Plus Arthur Daley. In fact, I can't think of a nice connotation for Arthur, but all the same, I do like it, honestly!

traceybath Sat 20-Nov-10 17:40:47

You see my thoughts were King Arthur and Camelot rather than Eastenders smile

Tamasine Sat 20-Nov-10 19:42:09

I have an Arthur too - nn Artie (although agree this will probably be dropped as he gets older and we get the "artie farty" references).
Getting more and more popular though, definitely. Think is likely to always be there or thereabouts due to its history, ala Charles / Henry / George.
And yes there is the drawback of D Cameron's son being called Arthur - although I seem to have the unfortunate experience of really liking the names they choose - to the extent that before they named their little girl recently, I nearly placed a bet as was so sure they'd choose either Florence, Clementine or Harriet (my 3 shortlist names if I ever had a girl) and of course they did (and of course I never placed that bet).

traceybath Sat 20-Nov-10 20:00:41

But David C's son isn't even known as Arthur is he? Isn't he called by his second name in everyday life?

littlemissturquoise Sat 20-Nov-10 20:15:45

My DH has this as his no 1 choice at the moment for our baby and wants Owen as middle name. I am not so sure however. Can't stand names that are too popular as I am a teacher and it is dull and annoying to have more than one of a name in a class!

traceybath Sat 20-Nov-10 20:19:54

Well choose a really unusual name then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: