Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Zakariah or Zakariya - votes please

(28 Posts)
fromheretomaternity Sat 20-Nov-10 08:07:52

Finally DH and I have agreed on a name for DS2 after 2 weeks of just being called 'baby'. He will be called Zak but his full name will be either Zakariah or Zakariya (mixed race Asian /White and needs Muslim name, so Zachary etc not an option).

We can't agree on which spelling to use. Votes please with reasons!

bruxeur Sat 20-Nov-10 08:10:24

First.

Is better.

HowsTheSerenity Sat 20-Nov-10 08:11:42

First. Second one looks like a brand of car.
First one is recognisable and easier to pronounce.

bruxeur Sat 20-Nov-10 08:12:27

Also second looks like girl's name.

HelenaRose Sat 20-Nov-10 08:47:19

First one.

zachsmama Sat 20-Nov-10 08:56:05

My son is Zachariah - is that an option? Otherwise I would suggest the first one.

onimolap Sat 20-Nov-10 08:58:17

First is better.

Is Zachariah really not an option, or can you never use names as they are spelt in The Book?

< Genuine question - I can see the why Abraham becomes Ibrahim as the pronunciation changes, but these two seem to be homophones. It may therefore be widely seen as a "trendy" spelling rather than a religious choice. >

skippingturtle Sat 20-Nov-10 09:20:54

First one. Although I too am intrigued by the homophone angle. Congrats on your little boy!

Secretwishescometrue Sat 20-Nov-10 09:42:13

Zakariah is great! Love Zaki as nn. Congrats

jellybeans Sat 20-Nov-10 13:23:30

Zakariah is my favourite. Great name choice and congrats!

fromheretomaternity Sat 20-Nov-10 13:52:08

Not sure we can do Zachariah - not religious but to do with the way the name translates into Arabic and then into English.

Any more...?

Greenwing Sat 20-Nov-10 14:00:48

Congratulations! Zak is a lovely name.
Definitely Zakariah as the spelling though.
The second one looks like a trendy spelling or girl's name.
(Spelled with 'ch' would be more common in Britain.)

EvaLongoria Sun 28-Nov-10 22:32:54

fromheretomaternity I am having same problem. I am expecting my second baby and again we do not have a boys name. Luckily first one was a girl.

I am Muslim not British but South African and DH is white British. He likes the name and reason why I am also going for the name is because I do not want his side of the family to struggle to pronounce his name. But I looked it up and the Arabic spelling is Zakariya or Zakariyya. Have a look here. But I think its totally up to both of you.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 29-Nov-10 08:48:52

First spelling without a doubt.

Hedwig3 Mon 29-Nov-10 11:32:14

First.

BangingNoise Mon 29-Nov-10 11:39:48

first one, although Zachariah is better.

lilly13 Mon 29-Nov-10 16:59:49

First

SausageMonster Mon 29-Nov-10 19:18:14

First - if you really must sad

Firawla Mon 29-Nov-10 19:49:04

the 2nd one zakariya. imo with the first one people will be more likely to miss pronounce. im presuming u are pronouncing it the muslim way? but with the h ending one people might say zak-a-rye-a instead of zak-a-ree-a if you get how i mean? also you dont really need a h based on the original spelling in arabic so zakariya is more logical imo

its a nice name, i used to always want this name for a boy, although now ended up with 2 boys non of them called zakariya but still like it.

& congrats

SausageMonster Mon 29-Nov-10 19:51:21

zakariya = nice name, pity the parents were illiterate

activate Mon 29-Nov-10 19:52:01

Zachariah

activate Mon 29-Nov-10 19:53:50

google

The boy's name Zachariah \z(a)-cha-

riah\ is pronounced zak-a-RYE-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Zachariah is "the Lord recalled". Variant of Zechariah. Biblical: the name of 31 men, including the prophet who wrote the Book of Zechariah. Zacarias is a Spanish and Portuguese form.

Zachariah has 30 variant forms: Zacaria, Zacarias, Zacary, Zaccaria, Zaccariah, Zaccheus, Zach, Zachaios, Zacharia, Zacharias, Zacharie, Zachary, Zacherish, Zachery, Zacheus, Zack, Zackariah, Zackerias, Zackery, Zackie, Zak, Zakarias, Zakarie, Zakariyyah, Zakery, Zechariah, Zecheriah, Zekariah, Zekeriah and Zeke.

Firawla Mon 29-Nov-10 19:58:11

sausage monster how is it illiterate? if you read the OP she has explained it's a muslim name, its not a "wrong" spelling, and nothing to do with illiteracy. do you not think that is a bit ignorant to say?

Balletpink Mon 29-Nov-10 20:17:31

I like the first - it's cool. The second I would presume was a girl, if I saw it written down.

littleducks Mon 29-Nov-10 20:22:30

i would go with the second, if you want Zak as a nn it makes more sense to have a Zak than a Zach,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: