Talk

Advanced search

Scarlett or Sacha?

(25 Posts)
gherkins Thu 18-Nov-10 15:03:00

Hi,

Expecting first DC, a girl, in the new year. DH loves Scarlet (or Scarlett) while I prefer Sacha (or Sasha).

My main concern is what Scarlet would be shortened to - Scar? Not keen on Lettie or Lottie.

I think Sacha shortens better, and is a bit more of a 'solid' name - Scarlet somehow makes me think she'll be getting into trouble all the time grin

Can anyone help us decide?!

Other names on shortlist are:

Ella
Ruby
Stella

DH says Ruby and Stella remind him of curry and the beer, and isn't keen on Ruby.

Thanks all!

MelinaM Thu 18-Nov-10 15:20:36

I adore the name Scarlett, if you don't want it shortened just be firm with people ..this is her name and no nn will be toleratedsmile
I think Sacha is a lovely name too, but prefer Scarlett!
Not a fan of Stella/Ella either ..I agree with your DH! Ruby's okay but it's one of those 'cutsie' names that are very of the moment, oh well good luck! x

KateEllis Thu 18-Nov-10 15:33:32

I love the name Scarlett, mind I am biased as it is my eldest daughters name.
She has never been called anything other than Scarlett, apart from a friend of the family, he calls her Red! (Mind you she has dark red hair!)

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 18-Nov-10 15:37:25

I always think of Sacha as a boys name. Just a thought...

Scarlett is lovely, but you are right about the nn problem. Also it has become popular quite recently so may date, but then that is true of lots of nice names.

Showaddywaddy Thu 18-Nov-10 15:44:21

While Sacha is unisex, to me it's a boy's name and I think boy when I see it.

I do like Scarlett but is popular right now and I also fear it would date. Ruby and Ella have the same problem, especially Ella which is legion atm.

Stella's nice. Prefer Estelle though. Or Esther which has a similar sound.

ValiumSingleton Thu 18-Nov-10 15:46:36

Sasha

Just personal taste but I think Scarlet is ugly. Harsh and very now. Will date. It also has the first syllable of scar. It's getting worse the more I think about it!!

Sarsaparilllla Thu 18-Nov-10 15:51:17

I love Sasha, not too keen on Scarlett

Bumblelion Thu 18-Nov-10 16:01:50

I love Sasha, but then it is my youngest daughter's name and it suits her to bits. We shorten her name to Sash which is very 'soft' sounding.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 18-Nov-10 18:48:59

Sasha

Imarriedafrog Thu 18-Nov-10 18:53:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meg89 Thu 18-Nov-10 19:38:59

like both! But think sacha,spelt with the c aswell.. is nicer,and has a bit more staying power,not overly trendy or popular, but not going anywhere either,just a nice name!

mathanxiety Thu 18-Nov-10 19:53:46

Sasha/ Sacha is far nicer -- I really dislike Scarlett.

I also like Natasha. I like Stella and Estelle, which could be shortened to Elle or Ella (if you want to go with such a really popular name)

anonymosity Thu 18-Nov-10 20:01:22

Love Sascha (either spelling) and think there are a lot of little Scarlett's running around the playgrounds already.

Jellykat Thu 18-Nov-10 20:32:12

I love Scarlet, if i'd had a girl that's what she would've been called!(Have 2 DSs)

I do know a Shasta(as in the daisy)think that's lovely too,-thought i'd mention it, as it's similar sounding to Sasha... smile

mopsyflopsy Thu 18-Nov-10 21:28:17

Sasha/Sacha is a boys name to my ears, a short form of Alexander. I know several male Sashas and for me it just seems wrong for a girl.

I'm not keen on Scarlett either but is is better than Sasha. Nicknames could inclede Lettie/Lottie but not Scar hmm

onimolap Thu 18-Nov-10 21:37:57

Sascha is a boy's name to me to (normal Russian/Slavic NN for Aleksandr).

Natasha? Especially suitable for a Christmas baby (NN for Natalya)

I think Scarlett is a great name.

I'm not keen on Ruby (=Murray=curry), nor Stella; but I think Ella s great.

lilly13 Thu 18-Nov-10 21:52:56

Sasha doesn't exist on its own. It is short form used by Russians for Alexandra. I love Alexandra. It is Sasha for both boys and girls (to the previous poster), similarly to Alex in English...

I also like Stella out of your other options.

anonymosity Thu 18-Nov-10 22:04:46

I would argue that from usage, it does exist on its own. I know 3 women all called Sasha and its not short for anything. Its sort of like saying Lily doesn't exist on its own, only as an abbreviation of Lillian...

Imarriedafrog Thu 18-Nov-10 22:09:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gherkins Fri 19-Nov-10 02:49:49

Wow thanks for all the responses guys! It's quite a responsibility choosing a name, isn't it?!

My issue, like posters have mentioned, is that Scarlett is a bit 'trendy' right now - it's always in the top 30 girls' names each year at the moment - whereas Sacha is a bit less common, and shortens more easily. But DH thinks Sacha is boring (we know 2 Sachas my age already, but they are both v funky women and I'm happy to have DD named the same as them).

Agree Ella is WAY to popular - shame as it is a nice name - personally I like Stella as it has a bit of oomph to it, but DH says it's all a bit 'pint of Stella and a ruby' grin

Oh well, the deliberations will continue!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 19-Nov-10 09:02:37

How about Estella?

yellowflowers Fri 19-Nov-10 09:55:02

I think the younger Obama daughter is Sacha shortened from Natasha.

Violet5 Fri 19-Nov-10 10:16:58

I like Scarlett, would have been the name of my last daughter but my husband didn't like it at the time and we ended up calling her Summer. My husband now says the name Scarlett has grown on him and he thinks its quite sweet now after seeing a little girl being called it !
I did wonder what it'd get shortened too though. Not so keen on Sasha or Ella but i like Ruby too.

mopsyflopsy Fri 19-Nov-10 13:14:34

In Germany Sasha is definately regarded as a boys name, normally short for Alexander, but also as a name in its own right.

For a girl I like Stella, Saskia and Estelle.

mathanxiety Fri 19-Nov-10 20:34:40

My Russian friends were a bit hmm about the name Sasha Obama and hoped it was short for something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now