Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

wobbles about sam other similar suggestions?

(25 Posts)
trixiechick Sun 14-Nov-10 22:53:39

I've had a very hard time coming up with a boys name for this baby....due to arrive any day now (are you listening baby?!?) Sam is the only one that dh and I can agree on only I'm feeling a bit wobbly about it now....any other Sam type names out there?

Magna Sun 14-Nov-10 22:57:40

Congratulations - we had the opposite problem DH and I really liked Daniel but we had queries with it 2 months before we chose Samuel.

<shouts to trixiechick tummy come on baby>

trixiechick Sun 14-Nov-10 23:07:37

aww thanks magna, I don't think baby listens to me anymore....... I swear it had fingers in its ears at last scan on friday....

Magna Sun 14-Nov-10 23:09:53

<chuckling away to image of scan pic> grin

strandedatseasonsgreetings Sun 14-Nov-10 23:11:18

Ben?

NormanNorris Sun 14-Nov-10 23:51:29

Tom
Ben
Finn
James
Jude

cityangel Sun 14-Nov-10 23:52:40

IS the wobbly because of popularity or just looking for alternatives?

Sam is a very nice name that is extremely popular in East London as is Harry and Joseph. What about...

Eason
Adam
Chris
Joel
Seb
Brad

Also popular are
Jake
Noah
Oli

trixiechick Sun 14-Nov-10 23:58:25

popularity is main source of wobbliness I suppose....
lovely names normannorris, Finn was on our very short shortlist....the other name being Sam........Ben is lovely but really really every other little boys name around here....

cityangel Mon 15-Nov-10 00:02:07

well ds is 2 & we know 5 one is his cousin, Harry & Joseph are bigger round here.
It depends if you're bothered about his having a couple in his class at school or not. My 2 boys are named at the unusual end of the scale which comes with its own challenges!

NormanNorris Mon 15-Nov-10 00:04:28

Finn is one of my faves. Quite popular but so damn cute!

cityangel Mon 15-Nov-10 00:05:10

Fergus
Hamish
Rupert
Conrad
Leon

StableButDeluded Mon 15-Nov-10 00:07:03

Seth?

anonymosity Mon 15-Nov-10 00:07:18

I think Sam is a lovely name. See what he looks like when he comes out though - you may not feel like calling him that, something else may suit him - if that makes sense.

Hedwig3 Mon 15-Nov-10 11:32:42

Please don't wobble, Sam is so lovely.

CharlieBoo Mon 15-Nov-10 11:34:31

Sam not popular round here... I really like Samuel, we almost had it for our ds 6 years ago but I am not keen on three letter names and with the best will in the world a Samuel would become a Sam. It's a name that suits all ages though. Come on baby!! Good luck

B52s Mon 15-Nov-10 12:38:59

I have a Sam. Good strong name. Baby brother to Zach.

rachel1970 Mon 15-Nov-10 13:41:19

Sam is very common round here (Surrey) but popularity bothers some more than others, the main issues are 1) sharing your name with others in school and 2) the name dating more than more classic less used names.

How about Michael, Quentin, Isaac, Patrick?

Manda25 Mon 15-Nov-10 15:03:38

What ever you choose - at some point it will become popular ..I have a Jake ..almost unheard of 20 yrs ago ...but now oh so popular! Go with what you like ...you have got to use it for a long time !

heymango Mon 15-Nov-10 15:08:00

Sam is a lovely name - works so well at all ages, and I have never met one who was less than gorgeous!

darleneconnor Mon 15-Nov-10 15:43:17

Is it for a boy? I think of a girl when I hear that name.

MissMashMissMash Tue 16-Nov-10 14:14:28

Sam/Samuel is a lovely name. Its popular but for a reason is classic, timeless and suits baby, children, teenager, adult.

Faaamily Tue 16-Nov-10 15:59:56

Sam is lovely - a classic.

How about:

Oliver (Olly)
Joseph (Joe)
Jacob
Tom
Ben

lydiathetattooedlady Tue 16-Nov-10 20:02:04

Bill, on its own, it is a brilliant name and on the same lines as sam. ( i am not biased at all grin)

trixiechick Sat 20-Nov-10 08:01:42

oh lydia bill is lovely but our surname starts with a w and the first thing you think of with William is willy w___. It just goes so well!!!!
I love all your suggestions faamily although Oliver has been considered and crossed off...I can't remember why now.....hmm
It may become very important as my best friend has gone into labour (despite being a week behind me...the cheek!!!!). Im now paranoid suspecting she may have designs on the same name. As a result there is only one name in the world I could ever consider for my son. AAAGH do you think sending her an encouraging text with don't call him Sam
on the end would be wrong?
confused

I think I'm closer to the edge of reason than I thought........bad crazy lady hormones...

jellybeans Sat 20-Nov-10 13:24:49

Sam
Jake
Zac
Max
Niall
Joe
Jack

I like Sam

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: